Help! Calorie Amount?

Options
Hey everyone! Getting back at tracking and such! I lost so much weight using MFP. I gained a few pounds back since the holidays, so I am working on keeping myself in check.

I recently read an article describing the Harris-Benedict equation and based on that, it says I should be eating roughly 1,936 calories a day to lose 1 lb a week.

That is more than MFP's suggestion...Just wondering how many calories you all eat and if it's more than MFP's recommendation?

Here is my stats
Weight: 137 lb
Height: 67.2 inches
Goal is to lose 1 lb a week

I have been doing HIIT training/Circuit training 35-40 minutes 5 times a week.

Any advice/tips would be appreciated! Thanks!

Replies

• terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    That seems like a lot of calories to eat to lose weight. There is no one answer that works for everyone, so you'll have to find what works for you by some good old fashioned trial and error. I'd start at 1600 cal/day for a week. Log everything you eat (it is critical that you are honest about it...your body won't lie). After a week or perfect nutrition and regular exercise, weigh in. If you didn't lose enough, decrease your intake and go for another week. If you lose too much, increase your intake and go for another week. Eventually you find the calorie range that will allow you to lose 1-2 lbs/week. That is the best place to be.

Always happy to help.

Allan
  • TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    What are MFP's numbers? What did you tell MFP about your activity level? About how many calories do you burn during your classes? For me it would be around 300-450 for each class if we are talking circuit training for 30-45 minutes, so about 1500-2250 calories for the week, which would be 215-320 calories per day difference. If you entered sedentary as your activity level in MFP and it has you at 1600-1700 calories then the numbers are pretty close.