Healthy Diet/Exercise Results Timeline

Options
Fellow MFPer's,

So when I was getting my butt kicked on the stairmaster i got to thinking....how quickly have you seen/heard of seeing results from a healthy diet and exercise?

My last flight physical I was borderline hypertension and obviously ready for nuclear winter with my weight. I know everyone focuses on pounds, inches. Those are good to know as well but how quickly could a good diet and exercise lower blood pressure, increase energy, etc... a week, 2 weeks, a month, 6 months, a year?

Happy burning!
Pat

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    There is no specific timeline. It depends on a lot of factors. Overall, 1.5 lbs a week is a good goal for you at this point. I would also suggest a combination of weight training and foods higher in protein to help with muscle retention. Adequate levels of food and getting enough micronutrients will ensure energy levels. Also, in general, weight loss and exercise will lead to improved cholesterol and preventing hypertension.
  • barracudamuscle
    barracudamuscle Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Thanks psulemon,

I still have to dial in my diet. Right now I'm going with the simple math (low calories, low processed, fresh) concept. Slowly working towards more fiber,less sodium (dam chicken seasoning kills me). Baby steps, just wasn't sure if anyone had any personal experience to add what their results were.

Thanks,
    Pat
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, it's going to totally vary based on genetics and dietary adherence. Focus on the one you can control instead of worrying about the one you can't. If you're only borderline, you only need a small decrease to be normal.

I've dropped from averaging 110/70 to 105/60 b/p with 60 lbs lost. I exercised before though, I was just fat. Increasing exercise if you were sedentary will probably cause yours to shift faster.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    It depends on what sort of result you're looking for: appearance, strength gains, endurance, scale, bloodwork, etc.

I'm only about 3 weeks in and have only lost 3 pounds, and already my boyfriend says he can see a huge difference in my butt. My traps popped out almost immediately, and my waist is a little smaller and hipbones slightly more prominent.

motivational-fitness-quotes-it-takes-12-weeks-for-people-to-notice-a-difference.jpg
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    one thing I would suggest is dropping carbs a bit and increasing fats. Fats increase vitamin and mineral absorption, cognitive functions and hair/skin. Also, it improves satiety. And, if you don't have a food scale, I would get one. Accuracy and consistency are the two biggest variables in weight loss. Follow the below rates and if you exercise, resistance training should be on top of the priorities.

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options

My last flight physical I was borderline hypertension and obviously ready for nuclear winter with my weight. I know everyone focuses on pounds, inches. Those are good to know as well but how quickly could a good diet and exercise lower blood pressure, increase energy, etc... a week, 2 weeks, a month, 6 months, a year?

It depends, if you start a decent workout routine with strength training and cardio.. mix in a good diet of veggies, less fried foods (than most of us eat before starting) and start to drop weight, you should see some better numbers on your next check up (so 6 months to 1 year) if you continue with it.. the blood pressure thing is really genetic though and have so many factors..