Weird stomach shape?

Options
I have a really weird stomach shape.. It's almost looks like abs but it's just fat. I was a gymnast for most of my life but I quit about a year ago.. How do I get rid of it? Anybody else have the same problem? The shape of my stomach is like a U almost. I am 5'1 and I weigh 119 pounds

Replies

• ravenmiss
    ravenmiss Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Someone literally just posted the exact same question here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/931982-strange-stomach-shape

Same answer though, lift weights.
  • oliviar1998a
    Options
    Everyone says to lift weights but how does that have to do with your stomach shape?
  • ravenmiss
    ravenmiss Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    It reduces your body fat % and builds lean muscle. Lower BF% = less fat = fat pouch on stomach should go/get smaller.
  • silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    It reduces your body fat % and builds lean muscle. Lower BF% = less fat = fat pouch on stomach should go/get smaller.

This.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,412 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Weight training, along with higher levels of protein, will allow you to retain muscle mass. This will allow you to concentrate on pure fat loss. If you get to a lower body fat range and still have a stomach, it's because you lack adequate lean body mass, which could require you to gain new muscle (aka bulk phase). Below is what can happen when you gain weight/muscle. Body composition is much more important than weight. Since muscle is tight and lean, the more you have, the leaner you will be. For example, see below.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

Do you have any current pictures because owns self image could affect reality. You have to remember, you are your own worst critic.
  • Biggirllittledreams
    Biggirllittledreams Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Also be aware that women also have more body fat than men, andddddd that they also have that pooch below their stomach for a reason (it's because of the ways in which our hips/birth canal lie within our lower abdomen). Not every women has one, but it's rather common among women for that reason.

That being said, if you follow the suggestions above - of reducing your body fat while also building muscle - you should be good. Look up exercises to tone the various groups of abdominal muscles, and go from there. :)
  • oliviar1998a
    Options
    I just posted two pictures on my account .. Please take a look!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,412 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Genetics will determine muscle shape.. you cant beat that.. but lowering your body fat will help. The picture would suggest a body fat around 25% or so which will require you to lower body fat and be patient.
  • oliviar1998a
    Options
    So do you think there's any way I could get rid of the fat before June 24th (when summer starts for me) any diet tips? What to eat? What exercises?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    So do you think there's any way I could get rid of the fat before June 24th (when summer starts for me) any diet tips? What to eat? What exercises?

LOL sorry but fat is going to come off from where it wants when it wants..

keep eating in a calorie deficit
    lift heavy and do some cardio on off listing days if you want.
    i would suggest starting strength and/or new rules of lifting for woman
    get a food scale and weigh, log, measure everything.
    set your macro % to 40 protein, 30 fat, 30 carbs…
  • oliviar1998a
    Options
    How do I figure out macros and stuff
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    How do I figure out macros and stuff

go into MFP custom settings and just change the % to the ones that I gave you …it is a pretty standard setting...
  • oliviar1998a
    Options
    Okay thank you!! :)
  • Biggirllittledreams
    Biggirllittledreams Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I looked at your profile, and I don't see fat. If anything I see a rather thin torso, with a bit of developing muscle.

The cinches on your sides are probably due to your muscles being flexed in the photo, unless you really only do have that set of muscles toned. It didn't look like it in the photo, but I easily could be wrong. :c