Running pace ( woman) with experience height and weight

Options
I'm new to running... Kinda. I just now have the endurance to run a few miles. I'm 5'5 CW 152 and I never ran except a little last year and became more serious about it beginning in January. I would just like to know what other ladies out here are running so I can choose a reasonable goal. I'm almost 24 although I feel age isn't a huge factor.

Replies

• amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    On a steady run I like something about 5-6K, racing a few 5's and a 10 this summer
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I've never ran a race, so I can only compare training times. But they depend more on road/trail surface than you would think.
    I started running about two years ago, got up to 8km distance the first year, took winter off, managed a half marathon (distance training run, not race) september last year, took the winter off again and am just starting over again this year.
    That's how much running 'experience' I have.
    Stats 32yrs, female, 160 lbs (or close enough), 5'7".
    My fastest 5k was 28minutes, average when just running is probably just over 30-32 minutes. Funnily enough I managed that the other day including walking breaks, so maybe the cross training will pay off this year :happy:
    10k usually take me 65-70 minutes, the half took me 2:16 (according to Nike+).
    I wouldn't call myself fast, but I seem to keep a steady pace, whatever that's worth.
    Typically, on a forest trail, sand or gravel, I am about 30 or so seconds slower per kilometer.
  • nikkilovessweets
    nikkilovessweets Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I once ran a 5km race in 23 minutes. I felt like I was going to barf. Came in 5th though, and I was feeling pretty proud of myself! I'm not sure if my height of 5"10 played a role in this, but I'm almost certain that it was a combination of adrenaline and training :-) have fun! You'll do great and should be proud no matter the time it takes you to go the distance!
  • chelseasans
    chelseasans Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I am a very experienced runner but i love to motivate people as well! My recomendation is to start small and then GRADUALLY up your distance, and then your pace. When you begin a run, pace yourself at a very comfortable pace. You do not want to start off running as fast as you can or you are sure to make it a few yards and give up. I usually start my runs at about a 10 minute per mile pace and then by the time i reach two miles im running at an 8 minute per mile pace. Breathing is very important!

Being that you are brand new to running, I suggest you follow a training calendar. They are all over Pinterest or online if you search for them. I would not suggest that you go balls out and run 5 miles on your first day. Make yourself comfortable with one mile before moving to one and a half, and then to two, etc.

Let me know if you have any questions and happy running to you:smile:
  • Sasafrash
    Sasafrash Posts: 12
    Options
    I'm on a running schedule through runkeepr it's a 10k in under 65 minutes. I've ran a mile at 9:40 and my 5ks are about 33-35 minutes. I have good days and bad days. I pace myself. I'm used to running on the treadmil which helps. I definitely run faster when I'm on pavement. I've been suffering from minor injuries here and there. My quad felt over used now my shin is terribly sore a couple minutes into running the ball of my foot is hurting too. I definitely need new shoes I've had mine for about a year now.