MInd over maintenance

Options
acogg
acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
I am having a mental problem with gaining weight because of working out. I am a full ten pounds heavier than my "goal" weight. My clothes are fitting the same or better. I am lifting weights and doing other weight training work. I can't seem to lose my focus of weighing my lowest, though I know getting stronger is best. I should be allowing myself to eat at will, but my scale is pissing me off. I am having a mental block with the transition. Help?

Replies

• ernurse77
    ernurse77 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Throw your scale away. Why do you think that the number matters so much to you? You already said it that your clothes are fitting better. When you can let go of the scale, your life becomes much more simple.
  • mebepiglet123
    mebepiglet123 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Throw your scale away. Why do you think that the number matters so much to you? You already said it that your clothes are fitting better. When you can let go of the scale, your life becomes much more simple.
    Exactly this.
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
    Options
    Exactly this.

+1. The scale is a useful tool for many people, but not others. Doesn't seem to be helping you at all, so I'd give it the heave-ho.
  • silverinc13
    silverinc13 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Exactly this.

+1. The scale is a useful tool for many people, but not others. Doesn't seem to be helping you at all, so I'd give it the heave-ho.

Yep! Laugh at the scale when you go down a pant size and up in weight! And then keep on lifting all the weights! :D
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    The scale so doesn't matter! As soon as I stopped looking at it I got much better results! I still step on in every month or so just to make sure I'm not losing weight but being skinnier wasn't doing me any favors I'll tell you. Now I'm trying to gain some muscle and 4 weeks in to my bulk I already have better results than months and months of trying to stay within a certain weight range.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Many people struggle with this, so did I. This is what happened (this isn't only water weight, but the subject of purposely gaining):
    120lbs:
    IMG_20120324_122947.jpgIMG_20120406_184220.jpg

130lbs:
    photo.jpgIMG_20130125_175224-1.jpg

130lbs before vs 130lbs heavy lifting:
    Untitled.pnguntitled.JPG
    photo.jpgphoto.jpg

Math wise inches are around the same, but things have started moving up in the world, and things feel less 'flabby'. My butt was embarrassing before. I thought it just got old. Turns out it just got lazy.

Also, I can gain ~10lbs easily over night on long hikes etc. It's temporary, and goes away. It's health, it helps your fitness improve, it's a good thing.

If you're wondering what's happening in your body for these weight fluctuations (hopefully that will put your mind in a healthy place), I recommend reading some human kinetic and recreation books on fitness and nutrition. You know, instead of scammy money scam business scheme books.
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    If you don't have a specific reason for maintaining a numerical weight I wouldn't bother. Athletes (such as fighters) maintain a certain weight class for a sport. Outside of that it's fairly useless.