do you eat at night?

Options

Replies

• chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    I have been known to eat my last meal in bed. Yes I eat at night.

Typically about 60-70% of my cals come in after 5pm.
  • missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I usually have a snack about an hour/hour and a half before bed . . . if I eat right before I lay down my stomach doesn't really appreciate it! But as long as it fits into your calorie goals and doesn't cause any digestive issues, then it's totally fine to eat at night. How much you consume is a lot more important than when you consume it.
  • stephreed11
    stephreed11 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    What time you consume your calories has no bearing on weight loss. Whatever works best for you and fits in your plan.

This. & you can also still have all the foods you mentioned, just in moderation. :)
  • tbrown1974
    tbrown1974 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    This thread has been very helpful. I try not to eat after 8 pm if I can help it but it does help to know I don't have to obsess over it since it doesn't matter with weight loss.
  • darkrose20
    darkrose20 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Yes. I eat at night. If I didn't I would starve at work. I work night shift, so your night is my day. Midnight starts tomorrow, so I plan my calories around midnight to midnight...not some imaginary time when you "shouldn't eat"...I'm not sure, does a burger have more calories in it after the sun sets? Why the arbitrary restriction to stop stuffing your face when the sun sets?
  • eileen0515
    eileen0515 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Yes I eat at night. I specifically plan my day to do so. I've learned about myself, I need a late evening snack to stay compliant to the deficit. You learn what works for you, as I have through my 70 pound loss.
  • ashleyblossom1
    ashleyblossom1 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Night eating is the best sort of eating. Except daytime eating. Which is equally as good. Yay for eating!

Yay!
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I often eat 50% or more of my daily calories after 7 pm and have steadily lost weight and still am.

The main reasons for this are that I don't like eating a lot for breakfast, never have and tend not to be hungry in the morning. Lunch tends to be a salad and fruit, something easy to eat while on the road all day.

Now I was a big boredom smoker and when I gave up became a boredom eater with most of the problem coming in the evenings. By ensuring that I have plenty of calories left in the evening means that I always have wriggle room at the end of the day
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,584 Member
    Options
    I just had my last snack (chocolate covered Macadamia's) at 11:30pm

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • tryclyn
    tryclyn Posts: 2,414 Member
    Options
    Yes. I eat at night. If I didn't I would starve at work. I work night shift, so your night is my day. Midnight starts tomorrow, so I plan my calories around midnight to midnight...not some imaginary time when you "shouldn't eat"...I'm not sure, does a burger have more calories in it after the sun sets? Why the arbitrary restriction to stop stuffing your face when the sun sets?

All of this.
  • nixxthirteen
    nixxthirteen Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I work afternoons so my timing is all off. If I didn't eat late at night I'd never eat! So long as it fits my calorie goals I have no issues eating dinner at 10pm and snacking again around 1 or 2am. Going to bed hungry makes me MISERABLE.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    yes
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    If you're keeping within your range, then it doesn't matter when your last food intake is. I personally have always been a morning eater, consuming a big chunk of my calories by noon. After 5 pm my appetite greatly diminishes so I end up eating little more than an apple or a tomato.

If a rule is hard to follow for you and does not add much to your weigh loss or health, just drop it :tongue:
  • Ellyssandraa
    Options
    If I'm hungry I do. I usually eat a very early dinner around 4/5pm and then eat a substantial snack at 8/9pm.
  • ktmcdee
    ktmcdee Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    my largest meal of the day is almost always dinner and that's almost always around 10 or later and I sleep fine. It just matters what works for your body so listen to it! :)
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Because of our schedules, my husband and I regularly eat dinner around 9pm. On the weekends, I snack late at night. IIFYM and all.
  • keziak1
    keziak1 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I must say it's pretty good to get these replies! :smile:
  • GlitterrMagpie
    GlitterrMagpie Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I like to snack in the evening, I always save a couple of hundred calories.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,022 Member
    Options
    I've given up a lot to diet using MFP, stuff like chips, candy, Coke, 5-Guys burgers, you get the idea. I'm OK with that. But I'm not OK with the no-food-after-dinner approach.

I was not aware that anything on MFP promotes the no eating after dinner idea.

Anyway, yes I often eat at night.

I eat chips etc sometimes too.