i CANNOT stand left over food

Options
Is this normal? I've tried to google it, but no help.
Basically, i absolutely loathe left over food (breakfast/lunch/dinner/snacks) Like, i will not ever have left overs. I know this is not good for me, because if i get a big meal (going out or staying at a friends) i will eat until it's all gone, and thats not good for my diet/weight loss.
I make sure if there is stuffing, i'll pick it up and eat it.
Am i the only one? haha

Replies

• MaitreyeeMAYHEM
    MaitreyeeMAYHEM Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    That is me as well, my mom was never a great cook and we were always stuck with left overs. So when I ate them again it was even worse and I think that's why I don't like that. Now that I cook and I have been given some professional cooking training I am able to re-heat and prepare them properly. It's a bit better but I still don't like left overs.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Ok..so you're hurting your diet and your budget. Up to you, I guess.
  • dt3312
    dt3312 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I learned to take a container to the restaurant and have an icechest and ice pack in my car and take home leftovers. When I cook, I can cook the correct amount I want to eat; or I often choose to cook more and refrigerate or freeze the leftovers. I keep telling myself, "Stop eating when full." I think I read that the Japanese have a proverb that says something like, "Stop eating when 80% full".

Instead of using the food available to control what I eat, it's been a big help to me be in touch with how full I am and not to eat beyond full. Also, it helps me not to overeat because I know I will need to log it on MFP. Maybe an accountablity partner would help you or you could join a group and have an open diary.
  • amwoidyla
    amwoidyla Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    First world problem.

Yup.

My boyfriend dislikes leftovers as well, so he will rarely take them to work with him. I will eat leftover until they're gone and some things even taste BETTER the second/third day. I hate hate hate wasting food, so I won't throw something out unless it's really bad. Food is (mostly) expensive, so throwing food out is like throwing $krilla in the trash.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    First world problem.

Get over it. It's food.

^ Yep.

I love leftovers. I always cook more food than we need so I can take it to lunch the next day.
  • tress29
    tress29 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I keep telling myself, "eat the food that's already paid for." If I take my leftovers for lunch, I may not be the most happy, but I didn't just spend $8 going out for lunch...
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    yup get over it.

I love leftovers esp pizza, pasta, soups etc where the flavors meld better. As well it makes lunch planning a whole lot easier.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    Me? I love left overs!
    Most of my lunches are left overs from last nights supper.
  • AlliSteff
    AlliSteff Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    There are some things that just do not re heat very well...we have made an effort to figure out what WILL reheat well, and we make those items for the week on Sunday. Then we can pick and choose our lunches and dinners (I get home from the gym much later than my husband, so we rarely eat dinner together).

This week we made turkey chili and a chicken stirfry, both reheat quite well. I also have invested in good BPA free food storage containers, and those have made a huge difference in the quality/taste of the reheated food
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    My sister-in-law hates leftovers and so my brother gets them all.

Get a togo container, and give it (plus some plasticware) to a local homeless person. I'm sure they'd appreciate what you just throw away.
  • StraubreyR
    StraubreyR Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I understand not liking leftovers. Growing up, we never had anything leftover, so I was not used to eating them. As others have said, you get used to it eventually. I still don't like eating the same thing over again, but thankfully, freezing portions takes care of that!
  • RenaTX
    RenaTX Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I really don't understand the problem with leftover foods. If you eat frozen dinners or quick meals then it's pretty much the same thing.
  • Amandawith3kids
    Amandawith3kids Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    experiment with taking leftovers and turning them into a new dish. you dont have to throw a pork chop on a plate and re-heat it. make something new! chop up that pork chop and make homemade egg rolls. :) or whatever. take the leftover chicken and make soup, or chicken pot pie, or put into a salad, or use it in a stir fry. :)
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    My husband has the same problem. I think honestly part of it is due to his father, who is very touchy about having grown up poor. So my husband grew up in a house where his dad pushed people to not only finish what was on their plate, but pushed any remaining bits from the serving dishes onto people, even when they were still working on what they had already taken!!!

First are you properly storing your leftovers? Those take home containers from restaurants are not meant to hold the food long term. Transfer the food to Tupperware as soon as you get home. Proper food storage (and reheating) will really improve the taste and texture of leftovers. Leftovers should also be eaten promptly, not days later. Some foods definitely reheat better than others (and only reheat what you plan on eating). Salad isn't a good leftover food, stew on the other hand is awesome.

But if you really hate leftovers, make smaller batches of food.
  • vatances
    vatances Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I don't like leftovers either, I don't think you have to get over it.
    I give my leftover food to the dog or my husband.
    If it's food I really like I don't mind how much I pay for it, it's the experience of it.
    Yeah I eat too much pizza when we get it because I can't reheat it, but I only get it every few months as a treat then.
  • breeshabebe
    breeshabebe Posts: 580
    Options
    First world problem.

Get over it. It's food.

This.

I hate throwing away food. Every time I clean out my fridge and find rotting vegetables I feel bad. If I spent $10-15 dollars on a meal at a restaurant, you better believe I would eat the left overs from it-- even if it didn't taste as good.
  • janetay01
    janetay01 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    First world problem.

Get over it. It's food.

^ Yep.

I love leftovers. I always cook more food than we need so I can take it to lunch the next day.

This in a nutshell. We have food containers so all leftovers go into them, they get refrigerated and taken to work over the course of the week for lunch.
  • SarahNicoleW94
    Options
    I love leftovers!!
  • MrsB123111
    MrsB123111 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    First world problem.

Get over it. It's food.

^ Yep.

Yes... All of this. I couldn't imagine not eating left overs.
    I do batch cooking for the week. It's both time and budget friendly, and has made my life SO much easier!