Advice for lifting routine

Options
Hi

Everyone always wants background info before answering questions, so here goes…

Female
5'5
cw 161
gw 145ish

I had a personal trainer for 6 weeks. Here was my routine on lifting days…
Squats - 85 pounds
Bench press - 70 pounds
Rows - 70 pounds
Shoulder press - 55 pounds
Assisted pull ups - can't remember weight, i'll figure it out
Abs
All 3 sets of 10

Stopped lifting in March…I've been doing bodyweight circuits, yoga, cardio, HIIT since then.

My question (finally)….I'm going back to lifting twice a week. I want to do the same routine, adding weight as necessary, and I want to add deadlifts. Where in the workout do I add the deadlifts?

Thank you!

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    if my only option is "where" then i'd put them after squats.
  • CDogg17
    CDogg17 Posts: 27
    Options
    Not your only option ~ should I be asking a different question? If you've got input, I could use it!
  • steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    If I'm assuming the exercises listed is what you're doing and you said you're going back to lifting 2 days a week, I would personally split them as follows:

Day 1:
    Squats
    Rows
    Deadlifts
    Pull ups

Day 2:
    Bench
    Shoulder press
    Dips ( I would add theses)
    Abs

Doing all those compound lifts and trying to increase weights in all the same workout, will be taxing on your body. I would split the days.
  • TamaBrett
    TamaBrett Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I agree with Steve, that's 18 sets of compound exercises which is already a pretty serious workout but if you are going to only lift twice a week then I don't see any point in splitting it.

Deadlifts and squats hit many of the same muscles and in my opinion doing them together is not really practical in this type of routine. But if you want to try it, then at the end. Normally I would never suggest deadlift at the end because it's such a demanding exercise, but you need to alternate your push/pull exercises and I think the other exercises are more important.

Squat
    Bench press, push, uses triceps, no grip
    Rows, pull, uses biceps, needs grip
    Shoulder press, push, uses triceps, no grip
    Assisted pull ups, pull, uses biceps, needs grip.
    Abs, no upper body
    Deadlift, pull, needs grip.

(of course you grip the bar on bench press, but it's not the same as rows)
  • Love2lift72
    Love2lift72 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I follow starting strength program and do squats, then either the bench or press, then deads three times a week. I've been at it just over a month and am just now starting to slow in my strength gains. Good luck
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    If I'm assuming the exercises listed is what you're doing and you said you're going back to lifting 2 days a week, I would personally split them as follows:

Day 1:
    Squats
    Rows
    Deadlifts
    Pull ups

Day 2:
    Bench
    Shoulder press
    Dips ( I would add theses)
    Abs

Doing all those compound lifts and trying to increase weights in all the same workout, will be taxing on your body. I would split the days.

For a two-day split with everything you said op, this is bang on the money imo.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    One program you may look into is Stronglifts 5x5 - just as a possible option http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary

I do it 2x/week and add in a third accessory day, but you can add the dips and other accessory work you do at the end of the 3 lifts. It has the squats, rows, OHP, bench, and Deadlift. It might be a good fit for what you are trying to do.