exercise calories

Options
I posted not that long ago about the nice weather and being able to exercise outdoors more. I only got a couple of responses and figure I'd try under a new title. I don't drive, so I have to take the bus, cab, or walk everywhere I go. Now that it is nicer out I am walking more. On top of that I am helping out my brother-in-law who is a general contractor doing various projects, one right now is wallpapering. So here's the scenario: I walked to the job site today (20 min.-107 cal), wallpapered for 7 1/2 hours-1,607 cal), walked home (20 min,-107 cal), to a rousing total of 1,822 burned for today. Between breakfast, lunch, and snack I've eaten 407 calories. I still plan on getting on the elliptical for 35 min and working on my Total Gym for 30 or so. It's now 5:45, how am I suppose to eat back 1,352 cal ( not counting the elliptical) before 8 pm ??? I have this issue a lot lately and I get worried because I just started losing since my doctor but me on medication and my nutritionist has me on a new program. I certainly don't want to go backwards, I was hoping to get to 130 or so by June so I could look half decent in a swimsuit . It's hard for me to stop and eat while we are on the job, especially if we are working outside( I can't even go to the bathroom until we break for lunch). Any one have any good suggestions, I'm at a loss. :frown:

Replies

• littleone68
    littleone68 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I posted not that long ago about the nice weather and being able to exercise outdoors more. I only got a couple of responses and figure I'd try under a new title. I don't drive, so I have to take the bus, cab, or walk everywhere I go. Now that it is nicer out I am walking more. On top of that I am helping out my brother-in-law who is a general contractor doing various projects, one right now is wallpapering. So here's the scenario: I walked to the job site today (20 min.-107 cal), wallpapered for 7 1/2 hours-1,607 cal), walked home (20 min,-107 cal), to a rousing total of 1,822 burned for today. Between breakfast, lunch, and snack I've eaten 407 calories. I still plan on getting on the elliptical for 35 min and working on my Total Gym for 30 or so. It's now 5:45, how am I suppose to eat back 1,352 cal ( not counting the elliptical) before 8 pm ??? I have this issue a lot lately and I get worried because I just started losing since my doctor but me on medication and my nutritionist has me on a new program. I certainly don't want to go backwards, I was hoping to get to 130 or so by June so I could look half decent in a swimsuit . It's hard for me to stop and eat while we are on the job, especially if we are working outside( I can't even go to the bathroom until we break for lunch). Any one have any good suggestions, I'm at a loss. :frown:
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    Do you have a HRM?? That is a lot of calories burned in a day.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    Eat more for breakfast, lunch, and snack. I've already had 1500 calories today - eating health food - and need to exercise to eat dinner.
    Pasta - at 200 calories a cup, you can get 600-800 without a problem add 2 TBSP of olive oil and another 240 calories. Also dried fruits and nuts - trail mix normally has about 140 calories 1/4 cup - have a cups worth. Nuts are good too.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    yep, if you know your going to be doing this stuff, you have to plan your diet around it. more cals for lunch, healthy snacks...etc. What you shouldn't do is eat light all day then stuff yourself at night. That's not a good way to keep your body balanced nutrition wise.

Better to eat a nice, hearty breakfast, a smaller lunch and an even smaller dinner, with snacks in between the three and after dinner.
  • littleone68
    littleone68 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I like the suggestions, thanks you two, I only wish I could follow them. My problem(s) lie in 3 things 1. I have always had a very small appetite, so making bigger portions isn't going to help. I'll eat until I'm full and end up throwing a lot away. 2. I'm still on the carb restricted diet my nutritionist put me on in the beginning of April. Although, she is now allowing me between 30 and 50 grams of carbs a day for the next month and then it will change again in June depending on how I did. Today for lunch I had a roast beef sandwich on whole wheat , with lettuce, 1 slice cheese, and 1 tbsp lite mayo, with 1 serving (18 crackers) of Kellogg's All Bran Crackers and I nibbled on carrots and celery when I could. I don't have to count any vegetables, so the wheat bread and crackers alone came to 36 grams. So that means whatever I eat from now until bed can only have 14 more grams of carbs. Frustrating huh :explode: On top of it I try to keep what I do eat low in fat. That was one of the many mistakes people made on Atkins . They were told to eat a lot of protein, but they didn't eat LEAN protein and your only suppose to do the no carb part for a few weeks and then introduce carbs slowly each week like my nutritionist is doing with me. 3. Like I said before, sometimes it is hard for me to eat on the job. Today we were wallpapering so it was easier for me to grab a carrot or celery stick here and there. But Wednesday and this coming Saturday we are putting sofitts on the buildings in a condo complex. It's a lot of cutting, measuring, and up and down on a ladder all day, makes it kind of hard to eat never mind if you have to go to the bathroom. I guess maybe I should be carrying more than tools in my tool belt !! Any creative suggestions would be more than appreciated.