Scales don't seem right, or am I going mad?

Options
So, my scales are in the kitchen as it's the only room in my house without carpet. I've had a feeling for a while that they were hit and miss, but I figured that as long as they we consistently incorrect, the amount my weight was going down would be right. Makes sense right? So, after my suspicions, I then tried them in different areas of the kitchen and they showed a weight range of around 5lbs! So, to further check, I then (to be crude) weighed myself before and after I went to the loo. Basically, I'd lose mass, so the scales should go down, even if only by a quarter of a pound. Pretty sound logic I think. But instead it showed that I'd gained 2lbs, in 5 mins... it's not just me right? They can't be right.
Was just wondering if any of you guys have the same problem or have managed to solve it :tongue:

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Make sure your scale is on a level surface or that you properly adjust it (if possible) so it is not at an incline. And make sure you have new batteries. If still nothing changes, it is time to invest in a new scale, or learn to ignore small fluctuations and focus on the big picture, on e.g. progress over a month.
  • Kr1ptonite
    Kr1ptonite Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    Yeah i had the same issue with my home scales. Now days i just use the heavy duty scales at my gym. If you still use the home ones just use it in the same area and take that reading.
  • verhunzt
    verhunzt Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Try to not move your scale around. I'm pretty sure every scale does this to some extend so yours might just be fine. Just don't move it and don't weight yourself like crazy (like before and after you go to the bathroom). :)