Polar FT4 Watch

Options
ljmcf
ljmcf Posts: 98 Member
Hey all!

Am thinking about getting myself a Polar FT4 watch - have heard nothing but rave reviews about it! I read that it has a visual and audible alarm - can you turn the audible alarm off? I don't like the idea of being in the middle of the gym and it beeping away!

Replies

• drosebud
    drosebud Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can. Mine doesn't make a peep since I disabled all the sounds.
  • ljmcf
    Options
    Thank you! Now I just need to decide whether to go for pink or green lol
  • ruth_jb
    ruth_jb Posts: 14
    Options
    Glad to hear you can turn sound off, I bought one online yesterday (in pink lol) and so excited for it to arrive! Looking forward to getting more accurate amounts of calories I've burnt off as I'm sure the gym machines can't be that accurate!
  • strawmama
    strawmama Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    You can disable the sounds, but they aren't very loud. I barely notice mine. You'll love the FT4...just basic enough for ease of use and a wonderful addition to a workout!

I got green :)
  • paulperryman
    paulperryman Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    If you can afford it the FT4 is outdated now, FT7 or a FT60 are sooo much better.
    Either way i've had all 3.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    What I don't understand is why the different colors are different prices. I bought the black and silver one on Amazon because it was 57, while the green was something like 65. I don't get it.
  • paulperryman
    paulperryman Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    What I don't understand is why the different colors are different prices. I bought the black and silver one on Amazon because it was 57, while the green was something like 65. I don't get it.

maybe they charge based on demand, more people go for the basic black so they have an abundance of those whereas a green they may have to make special order.
  • ljmcf
    Options
    You can disable the sounds, but they aren't very loud. I barely notice mine. You'll love the FT4...just basic enough for ease of use and a wonderful addition to a workout!

I got green :)

Is it a really bright green? Would like green if it's bright, but have seen a couple of pics where it looks a dull green but don't know if that's just the lighting?
  • bren998
    bren998 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I love the FT4!
  • fercar3000
    fercar3000 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I have an FT7 red and black and I would be lost without it !! lol
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    How is it outdated?
    The different models are basically with increasing features, but if all you want is to monitor your heart rate and see calorie burn for workouts, the Ft4 is perfect for the job without all those other bells and whistles.
  • strawmama
    strawmama Posts: 623 Member
    Options

Is it a really bright green? Would like green if it's bright, but have seen a couple of pics where it looks a dull green but don't know if that's just the lighting?

It's not a florescent green, but it's not dull either.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    A reminder that the calories the FT4 estimates are gross and not net calories. You still have to subtract your BMR for the time of exercise to get a closer estimate of what you really burned during your steady state of cardio.
  • lomille
    lomille Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    A reminder that the calories the FT4 estimates are gross and not net calories. You still have to subtract your BMR for the time of exercise to get a closer estimate of what you really burned during your steady state of cardio.

Ooh please could you provide a bit more detail on this? I've just ordered the FT4 and want to make sure that I'm calculating calories burned correctly. Thanks in advance
  • SOCOLOCO87
    SOCOLOCO87 Posts: 128 Member
    Options

Ooh please could you provide a bit more detail on this? I've just ordered the FT4 and want to make sure that I'm calculating calories burned correctly. Thanks in advance

bump because I would like to know as well!
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options

Yup I had that exact same problem when i bought my new Garmin yesterday! The one I wanted comes in three colours: pink/grey for women, black/red for men and black/silver for unisex (though I don't think there is actually any difference between them apart from the colours which annoyed the feminist in me!!). For some reason the black/red one was more expensive than the pink/grey one, while the black/silver one was much cheaper but didn't come with the heart rate monitor. So, I ended up going for the girly pink one...
  • lomille
    Options

Yup I had that exact same problem when i bought my new Garmin yesterday! The one I wanted comes in three colours: pink/grey for women, black/red for men and black/silver for unisex (though I don't think there is actually any difference between them apart from the colours which annoyed the feminist in me!!). For some reason the black/red one was more expensive than the pink/grey one, while the black/silver one was much cheaper but didn't come with the heart rate monitor. So, I ended up going for the girly pink one...

I've been wondering the same - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1284969-polar-hrm-ft4-men-s-vs-women-s-pink-purple
  • Miiimii
    Miiimii Posts: 279 Member
    Options

If you want to get your net calories, just use this website: http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/heart-rate-based-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx
  • lomille
    Options
    Great, thank you for the link. Bit disappointed that the FT4 doesn't automatically provide this info.
  • lomille
    Options

If you want to get your net calories, just use this website: http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/heart-rate-based-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx

Another question - what is the difference between net and gross calories?!