Hernia and exercising

Options
About 3 years ago I had a hernia for a few weeks but then it disappeared. I just started T25 a couple of days ago and then went for a run last night and felt an ache. Felt a bulge and the hernia came back. It went back in later in the night. I'm going to call the doctor but do you think its ok to continue with T25 or should I take a break from it?

Replies

• jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    About 3 years ago I had a hernia for a few weeks but then it disappeared. I just started T25 a couple of days ago and then went for a run last night and felt an ache. Felt a bulge and the hernia came back. It went back in later in the night. I'm going to call the doctor but do you think its ok to continue with T25 or should I take a break from it?

Based on the bolded comment, I'd say you should probably see the doctor before continuing. Going out and staying out for a few hours sounds pretty serious.
  • UtahWI
    UtahWI Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I am having surgical repair of an incisional hernia next week. I have a lifting restriction til then and while he isn't making me lay on the couch all week, he did tell me to simmer down as to not make it bigger. I had just finished P90x3 and was a couple of weeks into Combat when it opened up.

LOL...I also thought to myself, "maybe I could do T25 and just follow the modifier"...then I said, "Don't be silly". Planning on doing some walking and stretching later.

The thing is, it is so much easier to repair them when they are small. Also so much easier and safer when the surgery is planned. A small repair is one thing, but repair of an incarcerated/strangulated bowel generally gets you a bowel resection (which as a colon cancer survivor, I can assure you, sucks) with an increased risk of infection and compromise of tissue.

See your doc, make a plan. (BTW, I am a trauma/surgical ICU RN with a long history of intense exercise. It is hard for me NOT to be intense and driven, lol)

Where is the hernia?
  • janupshaw
    janupshaw Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Take a break, see your doc. What Utah said...look up incarcerated bowel if you don't know what it is, you do not want that.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Don't do anything until you've seen your doctor. A hernia is not fun, but you have to deal with it. You could literally die if it were to rupture. Better safe than sorry! :flowerforyou:
  • AlwaysInMotion
    AlwaysInMotion Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I second UtahWI's advice. First make an appt with your doctor and then ask him/her what activities you can do before/after treatment. In the mean time, please don't make the hernia worse through straining. You don't want to enlarge the weakness/tear. You also have to consider the possible complications that could arise - like incarceration (other tissues, like part of an intestine, become trapped in the hernia and become obstructed) or worse, strangulation (trapped tissue loses blood flow)... then you might be looking at emergency surgery. The likelihood of these complications depends on a lot of factors, but you probably shouldn't chance it.

My "Damn it, Jim, I'm not a doctor" disclaimer: This is my personal opinion only and does not constitute official medical advice.
  • jajsmom
    jajsmom Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I have an Appt. next Tues. I hate the thought of surgery but know I should probably do it soon so it doesn't get worse. I can feel a tiny bump right now.
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Ditto. Left untreated hernias can get serious. Go see your MD :smile:
  • AlwaysInMotion
    AlwaysInMotion Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I have an Appt. next Tues. I hate the thought of surgery but know I should probably do it soon so it doesn't get worse. I can feel a tiny bump right now.

Glad you're going to the doc! And good luck.
  • UtahWI
    UtahWI Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Very good! Unaddressed they can become very dangerous.
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Im pretty sure that they dont fix themselves either. You have likely had it since the first time you noticed it.
    See a doctor before you continue.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

The sooner you get it done, the sooner you can recover.