Runtastic gone crazy

Options
I use the Runtastic App Pro to track my running. It has decided to go crazy my last two runs. For instance, there is a 5k route I always take, same route, no changes, the last two runs, its says I have run 8k's. Clearly that is not the case. When I am done with the run, I look at my session summary and the route it displays on the map is waayyyy off. Its showing I ran places I didnt. Maybe it was my ghost, or maybe its just gone crazy. I dont want to switch to another running app because I like tracking my progress on this one. I have the current version of app, no updates are needed at this time, so not sure whats going on. Anyone encounter this? fixes or tips?

Replies

• kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    This happened to me with my old phone... it wasn't the app, it was the GPS on my phone because other apps did the same thing... Maybe try seeing if your phone needs an update or calling customer service. Or you could do a factory reset but make sure you save everything.
  • Technolero
    Options
    I have 2 Nokia Windows 8 phones and Runtastic Pro is the best fitness tracking app out there. No problems at all the last few months.
  • Kinseykick
    Options
    It might be your GPS. I remember my GPS saying I was in a whole other state than what I was in. I just had to call a number and reconfigure my phone to the towers. On Verizon that number is *228
  • Whyareyoumad
    Whyareyoumad Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I have had to remove the app and re-install once, seems to have fixed the issue.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Ditch the phone and get a GPS watch if you can. Phone GPS is very inconsistent.
  • ninav1980
    ninav1980 Posts: 514 Member
    Options

Will the GPS watch track and keep history of progress? Thats really all I need ( I suppose I could actual write it down with pen and paper, but thats too logical)

Any suggestions on which one is the best?
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    phone GPS systems are screwy, especially in areas with tall buildings or a lot of overhead foliage. The other day, I was running miles in a minute 45 seconds. I turned Endomondo off and on again, even though I was tempted to become an ultra runner that day.
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    GPS... I've used that one and the mapmyrun and had issues. Half of my route is open, half is on a trail. I'll come out of the trail and it lost signal, didn't record... made me want to throw it in the river...
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

Will the GPS watch track and keep history of progress? Thats really all I need ( I suppose I could actual write it down with pen and paper, but thats too logical)

I use a Garmin 210 myself. It's been replaced by the 220, so a 210 can be had on the cheap now ($168 on Amazon, probably cheaper in stores) and it's HRM compatible. All info is saved into the watch and uploadable to GarminConnect, plus it can interface with many sites that will feed into MFP. I used to use Endomondo myself, but I prefer RunningAhead and GC as a backup.
  • sherintn
    sherintn Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I use the Garmin Forerunner 10, the most basic model and it does everything I need it to do at this point. It keeps track of my runs, distance, time/splits, calories, elevation (super important as I try to set up new challenges and compare it to races). I love it and it's right at $100. The watch is the way to go!!!
  • ninav1980
    Options

I use a Garmin 210 myself. It's been replaced by the 220, so a 210 can be had on the cheap now ($168 on Amazon, probably cheaper in stores) and it's HRM compatible. All info is saved into the watch and uploadable to GarminConnect, plus it can interface with many sites that will feed into MFP. I used to use Endomondo myself, but I prefer RunningAhead and GC as a backup.

sounds like this is the way to go.... thanks!
  • jtrack3d
    jtrack3d Posts: 91
    Options
    GPS in general can have spurious readings. They depend on triangulating position based on information from numerous satellites in low earth orbit. The number "visible" from your location can vary as well as the number of samplings devices take. They are getting better though. In other words, from time to time, you might get odd results.
  • ninav1980
    Options
    ok, so I have done research on the Garmin 220 and all reviews are favorable, so I am going to purchase, BUT some questions...

1. Should I buy with HRM?

2. Garmin website only shows 2 colors, black and red combo and white and violet. While I really like the "girl version" I wonder if the white will show dirt quickly or turn yellowish due to sweat. Does anyone have the white? Is this material wipeable? I dont really want the black and red but its $300 so I want to make sure it looks nice forever, not used and old after a couple months. I take pride in what I wear to work out, so this makes a difference in my decision :)
  • badbcatha05
    badbcatha05 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I got my Garmin with an HRM, but that is because I would wear one anyway... silly to wear two devices when one can do both. If you wouldn't normally wear an HRM, I don't think it's essential.

I got nothing for you on the white. I used to wear a carnation pink Polar HRM and that never seemed to discolor. But who know how similar the materials are.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Runtastic do have their own shop with tools, too, maybe check those before buying something that might not sync with the app? I just used Runtastic on iPhone (iOS7) and it's the latest version, updated the other week; no version has been problematic so far. No problems with GPS either . What's your area like, remote? Inconsistencies in mobile phoning, too?
  • ninav1980
    Options
    I run in a heavily populated suburb (15 minutes from downtown Houston, huge city) with lots of running trails not surrounded by trees or any other obstructions around me. Honestly, its the ideal running spot, so if Runtastic GPS cant find me, then there is a problem. I think I am just going to go with the Garmin Watch suggestion and try it out. Its actually something I have considered before because with runtastic, I cant reach over and look at my phone tied to my arm while I am running to check my progress. Well, techinically I can, but it will lose my focus and my stride. A quick look at my wrist will probably help me better in the long run in terms of increasing my pace......
  • sassycraftyfit
    Options
    I have the Garmin 220 - it just came out at the end of last year, so it initially had some software glitches (not picking up satellite signal, battery not showing correct %), but the most recent software update seems to have fixed everything and its working pretty amazingly now - picks up a satellite signal immediately now! I like the 220 so much more than my previous 110w. It has more features and the display is clearer/easier to read. I do the run/walk method for my half marathons and full marathon training, and I like that I can program my set intervals into the watch and it will vibrate everytime it is time to switch. The garmin connect website is also super easy to use and I have data stored on there for 3+ years ago! I have the purple and white watch - have had it since Christmas and so far no issues with discoloration for me! I dont have the HRM strap for it (I do have a HRM strap for my previous garmin, though and it would probably work) but I dont like running with a HRM so I have no use for it.

[edited for typo]
  • ninav1980
    Options
    I have the Garmin 220 - it just came out at the end of last year, so it initially had some software glitches (not picking up satellite signal, battery not showing correct %), but the most recent software update seems to have fixed everything and its working pretty amazingly now - picks up a satellite signal immediately now! I like the 220 so much more than my previous 110w. It has more features and the display is clearer/easier to read. I do the run/walk method for my half marathons and full marathon training, and I like that I can program my set intervals into the watch and it will vibrate everytime it is time to switch. The garmin connect website is also super easy to use and I have data stored on there for 3+ years ago! I have the purple and white watch - have had it since Christmas and so far no issues with discoloration for me! I dont have the HRM strap for it (I do have a HRM strap for my previous garmin, though and it would probably work) but I dont like running with a HRM so I have no use for it.

[edited for typo]

thank you for the info!!!
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I'm a firm believer in having the appropriate tools (clothing, electronics, you name it) for exercise. If something is a nuisance, it quickly can become the reason for not heading out and if the budget is an issue, then even more the reason to choose gear that works in non-gym settings. Good luck!