snacking at night after kids go to bed

help!!! I need ideas to prevent myself from eating at night after dinner and before sleep. I am tired and should just go to sleep but I end up craving sweets before the kids go to sleep because i'm tired or after because i finally get a minute to myself..
Any ideas or suggestions welcome :-)

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    help!!! I need ideas to prevent myself from eating at night after dinner and before sleep. I am tired and should just go to sleep but I end up craving sweets before the kids go to sleep because i'm tired or after because i finally get a minute to myself..

Eat less during the day/skip meals, save cals for inevitable nighttime snacking
  • SlimEsq
    SlimEsq Posts: 45 Member
    I used to have the same problem. I couldn't just stop cold turkey so I got something small that I could satisfy my craving but not go overboard. Hershey Kisses worked great for me! Some nights I would have 5-6 and eventually got down to 1 or 2. Never crave anything late anymore since I usually have a glass of chamomile tea, which is quite a transition! :smile:
  • ImaWaterBender
    ImaWaterBender Posts: 516 Member

That is my worst time, too. I don't know if you watch TV, but I had to completely stop, because of the ads. They are all food-oriented. I plan a snack that will not throw me off kilter for the day and I accommodate that in the daytime by not overeating.

I also take melatonin because I have a hard time sleeping. If you need some help with positive encouragement, I am open to friend requests. :)
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    I was horrible at that!!! I save enough cals for a protein shake in the evening. So when my family are having their ice cream I have a protein shake. I actually look forward to it. It keeps me full and I dont snack at all at night anymore!!!
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member

This. Rather than deny myself my evening treat and then inevitably fail, I plan and budget for it. I enjoy it more this way, too, because there is zero guilt. It becomes part of your daily required nutrition, rather than a guilty indulgence.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,915 Member
    I still eat up to 11:30pm everyday after having dinner at say 7:30pm. Total calories at the end of the day are what matter, so just save some for the snacking. Last night I ate 3 chocolate Macadamias (250 calories)......mmmmmmmmmm.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member

Pour gravy over your sweets. Then they wont seem so appealing....
  • ImaWaterBender
    ImaWaterBender Posts: 516 Member

This. Rather than deny myself my evening treat and then inevitably fail, I plan and budget for it. I enjoy it more this way, too, because there is zero guilt. It becomes part of your daily required nutrition, rather than a guilty indulgence.

I think that the guilt associated with food really messes us up and causes that derailing of eating better. No food is bad, but overeating and giving up are what throws me off.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Save for snacking, as others have posted.

I try NOT to get in the habit of night time snacking but when I do I enjoy the following:

Sliced strawberries - if I'm feeling "naughty" I drizzle a little chocolate syrup on top
    half a graham cracker with half tbsp pb
    Air pop popcorn (though I gave it up for Lent and I CAN'T WAIT TO EAT IT SUNDAY MORNING - I'me ating it for breakfast)
    Dry Cereal
    Glass of chocolate milk
    Fiber One 90 calorie brownie/cookie

A lot of times, though, to avoid wanting to snack I drink tea at night and have a few different kinds on hand. I also do homework late at night so I don't sit in front of the TV which might prompt me to eat more.
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    I plan in a small piece of chocolate to have about 9.30 - 10pm - I look forward to it and enjoy it. If I still have any calories left in the bank and still fancy something I have Cadbury's Highlights or an Options Hot Chocolate just before teeth cleaning. Once I've cleaned my teeth everything would taste nasty anyway.
  • sargessexyone
    sargessexyone Posts: 494 Member
    Calories can't tell time. I always plan for a snack at bedtime.