What was your most awkward job interview experience?

Options
124»

Replies

• BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Yepp and he said he could tell I was an athlete by my grip...

OMG...choked on my water!!!!
  • Jenky85
    Jenky85 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    When I was 17, I was going to an interview to work for a man who owned his own printing press. (I didn't know it would be just me and him working there till the interview was over, so I declined the job offer after that.) But when he answered the door, his dog was with him. (a Weimaraner) He said "Hello, I'm Steve. This is Betsy." (pointing to the dog) "She farts." I was slightly floored. Why would someone say that right after introducing themselves? Well, I found out he was simply trying to prepare me for the farty-est dog I've EVER known! She lay right next to my chair and stank up the place during the whole interview!

This made me laugh out loud...poor girl, she can't help her windy pops! Ha ha
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    I had one woman spend the entire interview bashing the woman I was interviewing for to replace. She was ruthless saying the former employee was a moron, an idiot, and how stupid she was. Began telling me about the former employee's personal business and then talking about her dogs. I don't think the former employee was any of those things but the boss was describing herself in honest detail. I cringed at the idea of taking this job as she seemed like she would bash everyone who she ever hired.
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    When I left the Army, I interviewed for a job as a UNIX admin at a car rental place.
    The guy looked at my resume and asked me if I had served in combat.
    I informed him that I did.
    He then leaned in and said "Didja get any trigger time?" (meaning, did I ever shoot anyone).
    I blinked and sed "Yes sir, I did". And I left it at that.
    I was quite uncomfortable at this point.
    He then leans back in his chair and asked me if I had any flashbacks.
    Again, I was a little confused and I said "Flashbacks?"
    He said, Yeah, combat vets have flashbacks.
    I told him that I think he might have watched too many movies about Vietnam.
    I ended up not getting the the job.
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    When I left the Army, I interviewed for a job as a UNIX admin at a car rental place.
    He then leaned in and said "Didja get any trigger time?" (meaning, did I ever shoot anyone).

People are *kitten*. My husband was combat (Afghanistan)...and he was subtle but informed his potential employer about his recent past. Three weeks after he got hired at his job, they set off firecrackers in the shop.

My most awkward interview? While in college, I was interviewed to do drafting for an excavating company. I sat down and the guy absolutely could not tell me what my job duties were. Like...at all. It was like he came in off the street and posed as a guy doing the interview. Terrible. He sat across from me in awkward silence until I stood up and said,"Well, thank you for your time but I am not interested."
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I had one woman spend the entire interview bashing the woman I was interviewing for to replace. She was ruthless saying the former employee was a moron, an idiot, and how stupid she was. Began telling me about the former employee's personal business and then talking about her dogs. I don't think the former employee was any of those things but the boss was describing herself in honest detail. I cringed at the idea of taking this job as she seemed like she would bash everyone who she ever hired.

I have had this experience too, although not QUITE as drastic it was essentially the same thing. I turned down the job. At my current job I sometimes worry about getting a good reference in the future because even though my supervisor gives me excellent reviews, she seems hypercritical of all past employees and gives them bad or lukewarm (= bad) references when someone calls :-/ SCARY.

Very similarly, when I graduated from college I went to an employment agency (against my better judgment) because a friend of mine with the same degree found her great job through their professional department. The owner of the agency did my preliminary interview and he decided that I wouldn't be a fit for any company...except HIS. So he hired me to work there in the office in the professional department.

On my first day, I reported for work and this guy acted completely different than he had in my interview. Clearly he was flamboyant and gay which was NOT a problem whatsoever...but then he started showing his true colors, making fun of some of his staff and calling the women he worked for his "b**ches". He then asked me if I was comfortable wearing an evening gown to this ball he had his employees go to and I made a crack about not really being the evening gown type and he said, "Honey you're way cuter and thinner than half of my b**ches". I could not even believe this stuff. I went to the bathroom and got my head together and then told him what I thought about his attitude. (ETA: I did not go to work for him)

About five years later I was at a professional networking event where he was present. He smiled and waved (so fake) and told a colleague of mine that he wanted me to work for him, but I didn't want to "put on my big girl panties and accept a real job" (in reference to my position at a crunchy nonprofit).
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options

People are *kitten*. My husband was combat (Afghanistan)...and he was subtle but informed his potential employer about his recent past. Three weeks after he got hired at his job, they set off firecrackers in the shop.

Both of these- are you kidding me?:noway: :angry:
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options

It happened again about a month later and he ever so *politely* told the guy that if he did it again, he'd...ehhh...he's a former grunt so there were some colorful words I won't share but I'm sure you can figure out. :wink:
  • sentaruu
    sentaruu Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    I was being interviewed for a promotional position within my department. the interview consisted of my boss, the hr director, the union president and the affirmative action guy. I knew the hr dir. the union pres, and my boss very well so we were all casual and joking around. but the affirm. action dude just sat there and grilled me the entire time. he then asked me why I should be hired over a black applicant. I was like, what? the room was very silent and uncomfortable after that. I never did answer his question. I did end up getting the position.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    started crying in the middle of it

ohhh mental illness is the bessssssssssst
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    started crying in the middle of it

ohhh mental illness is the bessssssssssst

This has happened to me three times.
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options

Absolutly.
    When he asked me about combat, it was like he got excited about it.
    I mean, I am just fine and the whole flashback thing (someone going crazy in a resturant or something) is pretty much BS.
    I am sure that there are a small percentage like this but, a VERY small number.
    My Mom said I should have sued the place.