weight and age

Options
I have a question. I always weighed 105 lb until my second child was born. I have been up and down (but never that low) and now I am 65 and weigh 130 lb. I want to set a goal for myself but I don't know if it should be the weight I was when young or somewhere in between. I am 5'3, small frame and 130 is too much. Does anyone know what I should be striving for? Thanks and gl.

Replies

• Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Here is a link but I think the final number should be decided between you and your doctor:

http://www.healthyyounaturally.com/nutrition/age_height_weight_chart.htm
  • lilystan
    lilystan Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much. Based on that I think 115 -117 is a good goal. Not the minimum but not the maximum either. I didn't see where age fits in there so I'm guessing it's not a factor after all. Thanks again.
  • Chickee8586
    Chickee8586 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I agree with it being between you and your doctor.

For me, I'm 5'3" and my goal weight is 130-140. That's where I was most comfortable. I got down to 120, but my ribs, hips and other bones showed too much and it just didn't look good for me. Of course that was many years ago.

Everyone is different. The height/weight charts give you a range and as long as you aren't trying for a size/shape that is unhealthy, anywhere in that range would work for 99.9% of the population.
  • lilystan
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I am 130 but still have extra fat around the middle so I know I need to lose more, as I said I have a small frame. I will stop when I think it looks fit and trim (too bad I can't do anything about the wrinkles and sagging skin though lol).
  • Chickee8586
    Options
    Thank you very much. Based on that I think 115 -117 is a good goal. Not the minimum but not the maximum either. I didn't see where age fits in there so I'm guessing it's not a factor after all. Thanks again.

We like to use our age as a reason/excuse, but really it's just us not wanting to put the amount of effort into gettting where we really want to be. "I'll never get there because I'm over 50 and after 40 it's harder to lose weight." For the most part that's not true. Yes, some people have limitations brought on by age (arthritis, etc.), but finding ways to exercise that doesn't aggravate those conditions may eventually open up avenues of exercise that can't be done initially.
  • Chickee8586
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I am 130 but still have extra fat around the middle so I know I need to lose more, as I said I have a small frame. I will stop when I think it looks fit and trim (too bad I can't do anything about the wrinkles and sagging skin though lol).

Right there with you.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    My goal isn't a weight, it's a body fat %.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    When I was at my healthiest, I weighed 135. (5'4" and large-framed) There's no magic number. Talk to your doctor.
  • Chickee8586
    Options

We like to use our age as a reason/excuse, but really it's just us not wanting to put the amount of effort into gettting where we really want to be. "I'll never get there because I'm over 50 and after 40 it's harder to lose weight." For the most part that's not true. Yes, some people have limitations brought on by age (arthritis, etc.), but finding ways to exercise that doesn't aggravate those conditions may eventually open up avenues of exercise that can't be done initially.

Sorry, I didn't mean this as a criticism. Read it again and thought, oops. Maybe didn't say it right. I just meant our body's naturally comfortable weight isn't affected by our age.
  • lilystan
    Options
    No didn't take it that way. I neglected to mention that I started at 143 last November and with diet and exercise I have gone down to 130 and am still losing. I originally put in as a goal 125 but now that I am getting closer and still see fat around the middle I know I need to go further than that and was looking for opinions as to whether I should aim for that 105 again, but believe me, I will stop when the fat is gone. I don't want to look old and skinny, just old. lol.. My doctor retired and I won't get a new one until June when I go back home.