How long till the fast food cravings leave?

Options
2»

Replies

• rissa876
    rissa876 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    It is mind over matter. For me it took a couple of weeks to stop the fast food cravings. Since eating right every day my body seems to have stopped the cravings.
  • AlysonG2
    AlysonG2 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    It took me about a month to get over the cravings. I still crave that stuff every now and then, but it's not every single day like it was, and it's easy to say no now (most days). On the days that it's not, I enjoy without going overboard, which is something I never could have done before.
  • LosingItForGood13
    LosingItForGood13 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I saw the fast food cravings to diminish once I hit day 100 of logging as I was cooking meals daily and realized that I no longer needed the fast food every month
  • SushiKite
    SushiKite Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I too am in the same boat. I went to a holistic nutritionist. I got a nutritional analysis done. she made me track all my food that went into my mouth for one week . She figured I wasn't getting enough protein. I also was snacking too much. she suggested I eat 3 meals a day. and make sure that I get enough protein at each meal. she also suggest not to eat after 7 p.m. For me. I followed her instructions and could hardly believe it. No more cravings. Now it's just the psychological ones , Watching my husband chew chew chew while watching TV
    :-)
    Suzanne
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Fast food is difficult to ignore or not crave. We developed as gatherers-hunters when high energy foods like sugar and fat were difficult to find. We are designed to enjoy them so we try REALLY hard to find them. No, it is not just a mental game. You and I are built perfectly for 50,000 years ago.

These days fast food is easy to find and is purposefully filled with fat and sugar, the very thing we are designed to crave. It punches all our buttons.

OTOH, once I hit 50 years old, fast food started to taste nasty.
  • jjscholar
    jjscholar Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    In my experience, the cravings never go away. However, it is possible to avoid fast food forever. At least with me, I had to find reasonable alternatives to fast food such as fish and vegetables.

While it is not easy to avoid fast food, it is possible. For the past 2.5 years, I had to make it possible. It has been either stay away from fast food or die.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I have dropped about fifty punds since i started and I still eat fast food..

I would suggest not considering fast food to be "bad" and find a way to occasionally work it into your day. Subway is "fast food" but you can get a pretty decent meal from them that is low calorie and fits into your macro needs for the day…same with McDonalds…
  • ndj1979
    Options
    i been stop eating fast food 5 yrs ago once i find out how bad it is for me .. also fast food is loaded with thousands of calories do not want that even when i treat myself

LOL a big mac meal with no sauce and fries comes in at about 500 calories …you can get a turkey sub from subway with double meat, cheese, and veggies for about 350 calories …..
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Thank you! I know I can do it. It is just a matter of being stronger than my craving obsessions. Ha! Im glad to know Im not the only one who has them.

OP - In my opinion, here is the problem with this line of thinking. What happens when you hold out for a long time and then finally give in to these 'cravings'?? More than likely you are going to go off the rail and binge on a bunch of fast food, feel guilty, super restrict yourself, and then binge again, feel guilty, restrict…eventually, you will just think "I can't do it" and give up ..

Rather then that - why not occasionally eat some fast food and work it into your calorie deficit and as you learn to eat other more healthy foods you will not have a need for fast food; however, when you do crave it, you will know that you can have some, fit it into your day, and it is not the end of the world….
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i find that the more i keep myself occupied, the less i think about my cravings. it worked with smoking. and little by little, i wanted to work out more than i wanted to smoke. like cigarettes, fast food will limit your progress.

but depending what kind of fast food you like, you can make your own. i know i prefer my own homemade burgers and fries to fast food.
  • BriTyler3
    BriTyler3 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    My fast food craving went away automatically, its been 2months for me & i still dont have the desire to eat that crap: maybe because im so determined. Eventually you'll care less about the artificial burgers & chicken soon :)
  • Nt2Badhuh
    Nt2Badhuh Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Hey

I have craving from time to time and I have no willpower ( DONT JUDGE ME) whatsoever lol so used my love of food to my advantage... I think about the fact that if I wont be able to eat for the rest of the day. its terrible but you would be surprised at how many sonics ( my weakness) and taco bells i have driven by just because I know how much id be robbing myself of in the long run. It's so bad but hey whatever works....I do find myself craving less and less junk the more I find alternatives I like.