Low calorie TASTY oatmeal?

Options
2»

Replies

• writergeek313
    writergeek313 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    For awhile I was making rolled oats in the microwave with water and cinnamon, then adding either unsweetened applesauce or canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling) and a teaspoon or so of brown sugar. I got bored with that, but a few weeks ago I picked up a variety pack of 32 pouches of Nature's Path organic instant oatmeals for about $9.50 at Costco. The flavors are maple nut, apple cinnamon, flax, and blueberry. They're all 210 calories or fewer, and I really like all of them.
  • katya_be
    katya_be Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I put reduced sugar almond milk in mine instead of cows milk then I add a mix n match of the following:

coconut flakes
    almonds, walnuts (or any nuts)
    strawberries, blueberries, raspberries
    raisins (with cinnamon).. tastes like a cookie
    any dried fruit
    peanut butter
    honey
    chia seeds
    protein powder (once in a while)
  • eileen0515
    eileen0515 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I eat oatmeal every day, my current favorite recipe is as follows.

Mc Cann's Irish oats (quick cooking) 40g

1/2 tsp. cinnamon

1/2 tsp vanilla

12g PB2

1 packet truvia

1/2 cup almond milk (unsweetened)

122 g organic pumpkin (canned)

1/4 c water (my preferred consistency)

252 ish calories
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    fenugreek and brown sugar

Fenugreek has a maple syrup flavor, so you can use it in place of syrup and then add brown sugar (or whatever sweetener you prefer). I also always add cinnamon to stuff I sweeten with sugar or honey, for its blood sugar moderating effect. I don't usually use any milk--only water. I occasionally add a tsp of butter.
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I like to add vanilla protein powder, cinnamon and blueberries to mine. Delish.
  • heypurdy
    heypurdy Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Try baking it!

http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2011/03/15/cookie-dough-baked-oatmeal/

This recipe is awesome. It says it makes one serving but it makes two servings for me; it's VERY filling. I triple it and have it for the whole week! Just heat in the microwave in the morning. Seriously, this recipe changed my life!
  • dwarfiegodsmack
    dwarfiegodsmack Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I have recently discovered this blog:

www.theoatmealartist.com

I have only tried the brownie batter oatmeal (AWESOME!) but there are so many recipes I'm sure you'll find something you'll love.

brownie batter oatmeal??? OMG how did i not know about this site! will be trying this one for sure. thanks :drinker:
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    I eat instant oatmeal - brown sugar and cinnamon. It is 160 calories per packet and is easy to make!
    that's my favorite too. super simple. 'cept my local grocery has a low sugar version that's 120 cals per packet. sometimes i add fruit - chopped nanners, blackberries, blueberries, etc.
  • jennifries227
    jennifries227 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    If you don't mind artificial sweeteners you can use sugar free syrup (like Mrs. Buttersworth), no sugar added fruit preserves, or something like Splenda's brown sugar blend.

Otherwise, regular fruit preserves, or frozen fruit heated up in the microwave and added to it. Get the kind that's unsweetened. Strawberries are my favorite.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    one serving of Quaker original is like 120 calories ..add some strawberries, 1/4 cup of whole milk, and honey to it and you have about 200 calories of goodness...
  • lcyama
    lcyama Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    i like coach's steel cut oatmeal. i cook 1/4 oats with 3/4 cup water, then add up to 1/4 cup vanilla almond milk, three crushed walnut halves, and cinnamon. 218 calories, but it fills me up. could be fewer calories if you use fruit instead of nuts. it's quick, too -- 3.5 minutes in the microwave (just use an oversized bowl to prevent overflow) at 70% power.
  • purplemurfy
    purplemurfy Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    You can use vanilla almond milk (reduced sugar) and this is less calories than milk. I also add fruit and sometimes PB2 for more flavor. I will even sometimes use truvia instead of sugar to lower the cals. But, I like oatmeal with just brown sugar and almond milk. Not a lot of calories anyway.