Weighing an avocado

I bought a food scale recently and am not sure if I am calculating calories correctly. From what I have read 1 medium avocado should have 300+ calories due to its fat content, but when I scoop out the flesh and weigh mine it's usually about 100g, which seems to be between 160 and 200 calories depending on the MFP entry. Should I be weighing it with the skin on before I peel it or can 1 whole medium avocado actually be below 200 calories?

Replies

• Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    weigh what you eat.

i assume you are only eatyin gthe flech. scoop that out and weigh that
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    If you are eating skin .. weigh the skin.

Just weigh what you EAT.
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    the avocados i eat ussually come in at about 100g per avacado
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    whoops timing .. or great minds think a like.. either way .. we're right :smile:
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    I always plug 'avocado flesh only' into the database
  • AdventureFreak
    AdventureFreak Posts: 236 Member
    I don't weight my avocados anymore because they are awesome and need to be consumed but I found in the past a medium is usually under 250 calories so I stick with that.
  • MaggieTor3
    MaggieTor3 Posts: 50 Member
    If you're not sure how big something is, or what it weighs, some of the food listings here are more helpful than others. For example, there are a number of entries for 'bananas'. I use the one that describes a medium banana, 7 to 7-7/8". Then if I eat half of one that looks that size to me, I count half a banana. If it's a big one, I count maybe .6 or .7 of a medium banana. Some of it you just have to guess but for many things the difference in calorie or fat or sodium or carbs count is pretty minimal.

If you see there's a whole long list of entries for something like 'pork chop' and you don't have the nutritional information on a package or bag, look at a website that you think is reliable. I look at Canada's Food Guide or search for the nutritional info online. The Avocado Growers of America (or whatever - I made that up for an example) will tell you how good for you an avocado is, so it's a bit of an advertisement, but the nutrional info will probably be accurate.

Some entries in MFP offer you sizes like small, medium, large. If there are no measurements given, you have to guess. Your mental image of a large mushroom might be different from mine, but do your best.

And sometimes you just have to laugh at the website, the process, the listings, the food, and yourself! Keep smiling! :)
  • writergeek313
    writergeek313 Posts: 390 Member
    I usually eat half an avocado at a time. I cut it in half, take the pit out if that's the half I'm going to have, and weigh it. Then I scoop the flesh out and weigh the empty peel and subtract that weight from the total.