weight training beginner needs help...

Options
hi I'm new to MFP and new to fitness in general and have been doing mostly Cardio but i would like to add strength training to my routine maybe 3 days a week for an hour.. I have noticed that there are several female lifters here and was wondering if a few of those generous ladies wouldn't mind helping me out by suggesting some beginner weight training exercises that I could incorporate into a routine to work my whole body at home that does not require a lot of equipment..mostly body weight exercises..i have one 10 lb dumb bell and a light resistance band but no other equipment to speak of..I have never strength trained before so I have no idea what I'm doing or what I should be doing..any help would be greatly appreciated..and I would welcome advice from the male lifters out there also..I'm an equal opportunity kind of girl so even if you have testicles feel free to speak up :wink:

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,398 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Not a women but some of the better programs are: New rules of lifting for women, starting strength or strong lift.

And if you don't have money for equipment, you can start with body weight training (pushups, pull ups, squats, lunges, etc...) or use a program like fitnessblender.com
  • KatieMae75
    KatieMae75 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Not a women but some of the better programs are: New rules of lifting for women, starting strength or strong lift.

And if you don't have money for equipment, you can start with body weight training (pushups, pull ups, squats, lunges, etc...) or use a program like fitnessblender.com

This. NROLFW is a great book. It covers several lifting program options and nutrition. Body weight strength training is a good start too, I frequently do push ups, squats, and lunges without the weight. You can also check places like Craigslist and even a Salvation Army store to get equipment relatively cheap. Form is critical though, make sure you look up the proper form for each exercise before you do it.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    For body weight stuff look google "Convict Conditioning" or "You are Your Own Gym", or I think Nerd Fitness has a bodyweight program.
  • Jenky85
    Jenky85 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm doing Stronglifts 5x5 which I love! I use the app so it tell me what lifts to do and I can keep track of my reps. I'm addicted...it's made such a difference to my body shape and I've only been doing it for about 6 weeks. The app starts you at a relatively easy weight but every time you complete your 5 sets of 5 reps it will add weight for next time so in no time you're really lifting heavy and building your strength.

Will you be doing it at the gym or at home? I invested in a barbell and plates for home but as long as your gym have these items then you're ready to go!
  • Blessedbythebest1
    Blessedbythebest1 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Since you don't have much equipment right now, I would suggest looking into doing body weight exercises ( Squats, Push-ups, walking lunges with or without the weights, burpees and mountain climbers).

When you want to up your game and invest in more weights. CHeck out Chalene Extreme program, it's a great program for beginners and Chalene is awesome..She has changed my life!

Also she is coming out with a new called "PI-YO" this is a mix of yoga and pilates, I love both of these styles and I can't wait for this program to come out this summer.definitely will help build muscle..Good luck!
  • josiekat2015
    Options
    I have a personal trainer but not at the gym. We do circuits outdoors usually. We do a lot of squat, lunges, pushups and even prison cell workouts that you can find on youtube.com. We'll also do things like step-ups on benches or army crawls on the grass in the park in our neighborhood. You could always try a local "boot camp" type work out to get some ideas there as well since a lot of those are without equipment as well. I'm in California so it's easy to be outside and it makes working out much nicer than being indoors or a gym.
  • KatieMae75
    KatieMae75 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Since you don't have much equipment right now, I would suggest looking into doing body weight exercises ( Squats, Push-ups, walking lunges with or without the weights, burpees and mountain climbers).

When you want to up your game and invest in more weights. CHeck out Chalene Extreme program, it's a great program for beginners and Chalene is awesome..She has changed my life!

Also she is coming out with a new called "PI-YO" this is a mix of yoga and pilates, I love both of these styles and I can't wait for this program to come out this summer.definitely will help build muscle..Good luck!

Just adding to this. I had the opportunity to do PiYo class the other night, and it was amazing. It goes deeper than Yoga and Pilates. It combines the best of both of those for flexibility training, and incorporates strength training and cardio. I can't wait until Beachbody officially releases it. If yo YouTube Piyo, you may be able to find some. Here's the promotional video for it. Blessed, in the meantime, if you check your local gym or community center, you may find a PiYo class.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeXGDDqxg34
  • Blessedbythebest1
    Blessedbythebest1 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Blessed, in the meantime, if you check your local gym or community center, you may find a PiYo class.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeXGDDqxg34
    [/quote]
    ^^^^^^
    Thank you!