Why am I not losing weight?

Options
2»

Replies

• Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I will look into ordering a food scale online asap. Im a little confused with the tdee and Bmr and such. So my bmr is 1463 tdee is at 1755, this tdee has been calculated at a sedentary activity level not including my excerise at all. How many calories should I be eating if I am at 167 and at 5 2.

I will also start recording my intake of water because I do drink a decent amount of water but not everyday. It could help to start keeping track of that.

If your TDEE is 1755 at sedentary, then working out will up that. It is Total Daily Energy Expenditure, after all.
    Just saying you workout an hour 6 days a week is to vague for us to know what that means, as jogging an hour is one burn rate, lifting weight is another, doing HIIT is another, walking on a treadmill still another.
    But lets say you average burning 350 cals each time you work out so your week of TDEEs looks like 1755+2105+2105+2105+2105+2105+2105 = 14,385/7 = 2,055 average TDEE
    So we take your average TDEE (2055) and reduce it by 15% = 1,747 cals per day you can NET, and be at an average 308 cal deficit, which is good enough to be around 0.62lbs per week.

Is this helping any?
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Whats 5:2?

I think it's one way of doing IF (intermittent fasting). You eat around 500-600 calories 2 days of the week and eat your "normal" calorie total the other five days.
  • maya166
    maya166 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Yea that actually helps a lot. Its starting to make a lot more sense. I do mainly hiit for an hour about 4 days a week. 2 days a week I walk 5 miles or do low impact aerobics
  • ElyseHerz
    ElyseHerz Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    How long has your weight loss been in a plateau? If it's the week before your period, you may be retaining water and "gaining" water weight at the same time that you're losing weight from fat, which would show as 0 weight loss on the scale. However, as soon as your period starts, you should lose that weight immediately.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Eating or not eating breakfast has nothing to do with why your not losing. That is more personal option than something you have to do. And you don't have a whole lot to lose so it will be a bit harder. How long since you've lost a lb or even a few oz? Personally I'd say just stick with it for a couple more weeks and see what happens. Sorry I don't buy into the eat more to weigh less. Just my opinion

I was suggesting to eat breakfast since it appears she is struggling with getting enough calories. I've had days of 1000 calories, but I try not to let it be my norm. Everything that I'm being told on here is that no one should be eating 1200 day, let alone less on a consistent basis.
    Don't believe everything you hear on here. It really doesn't matter what time of the day you eat as long as you eat. Also 1200 calories is not for everyone, but it's certainly NOT a bad thing unless your a man or very very active. Everyone is different most do very well on 1200. Some people don't believe it I know but it's the truth. But again you have to take what you believe and leave the rest alone. I have days where I don't eat until the evening and it hasn't hurt my weight loss.
  • ggluvbug1
    ggluvbug1 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Eating or not eating breakfast has nothing to do with why your not losing. That is more personal option than something you have to do. And you don't have a whole lot to lose so it will be a bit harder. How long since you've lost a lb or even a few oz? Personally I'd say just stick with it for a couple more weeks and see what happens. Sorry I don't buy into the eat more to weigh less. Just my opinion

I was suggesting to eat breakfast since it appears she is struggling with getting enough calories. I've had days of 1000 calories, but I try not to let it be my norm. Everything that I'm being told on here is that no one should be eating 1200 day, let alone less on a consistent basis.
    Don't believe everything you hear on here. It really doesn't matter what time of the day you eat as long as you eat. Also 1200 calories is not for everyone, but it's certainly NOT a bad thing unless your a man or very very active. Everyone is different most do very well on 1200. Some people don't believe it I know but it's the truth. But again you have to take what you believe and leave the rest alone. I have days where I don't eat until the evening and it hasn't hurt my weight loss.

I think skipping meals has more of an impact on people with blood sugar issues. In addition, it can help jump start your metabolism...good for people who easily slip into starvation mode from eating too few calories. I have blood sugar issues, so it is important to keep it at a steady level during the day. Just something to consider because not everyone can skip meals and lose weight. :)
  • maya166
    maya166 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    All this has been incredibly helpful. Thanks everyone. Im gonna try to stay away from my scale and not weigh myself as often. I will just wait it out and continue to work hard. Ill try get closer to the calories I need and hopefully that helps as well.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    No calorie deficit. There is no other way 99.9999% of the time
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    No calorie deficit. There is no other way 99.9999% of the time

I don't know in my experience on this forums its about 25% not eating at a caloric deficit and 75% expecting to see clear weight loss on a scale in under 6 weeks time. A lot of times it strikes me they probably just haven't stuck with it long enough to get passed normal bodyweight fluctuations and into a clear trend of weight loss.

I'm eating at a pretty sizable deficit myself and it took about 7 weeks before I actually could see loss on the scale.
  • TimTomakin
    TimTomakin Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    This question is not for a message board. This question should be directed towards a doctor and/or a nutritionist. There are far too many variables for a stranger on the internet to determine why you are not losing weight.