What's your view on pre-prepped and packed veg?

Options
I know it's more expensive but it's so much more convenient for me and besides the problems such as chlorine and stuff like that, are the nutritional values any different? Like let's say if i buy a vegetable stir fry pack full of peppers and carrots and beansprouts etc...is it less healthy to eat that rather than buying and preparing it all individually and by myself? if so is the difference negligible?

Replies

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    When I'm busy and need a hand, I would rather grab one of those than fast food or take out. I usually go with frozen though. It tends to retain more nutrients.
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I work rubbish hours so pre prepared is handy for me! I had some pre-cut and washed butternut squash and sweet potato this evening.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Any difference at all is negligible.
  • kyregi
    kyregi Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I think that most of the frozen veggies are not too bad. I just always check the labels as many "mixed veggies" like the mentioned stir fry veggies have quite a bit of salt added and that does not go well with my low sodium requirement. So I will usually buy the "individual" frozen veggies and happily combine whatever is needed for my recipe of the day.
  • jamieo70
    jamieo70 Posts: 24
    Options
    I initially entered a reply with my opinions on frozen vegetables and realized I had made a mistake. I think pre-prepped vegetables are generally ok if you can get some idea of how long they have been sitting there on the shelf. It's better if they are prepped fresh each morning than if they sit for a few days on the shelf. Most of the time, for me it's just as easy to prep them myself.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I know it's more expensive but it's so much more convenient for me and besides the problems such as chlorine and stuff like that, are the nutritional values any different? Like let's say if i buy a vegetable stir fry pack full of peppers and carrots and beansprouts etc...is it less healthy to eat that rather than buying and preparing it all individually and by myself? if so is the difference negligible?

No, it's not less healthy. There is no significant difference whatsoever.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    I don't have enough to worry about in my life so I'm going to fret over the fact that I don't wash and prep my own vegetables.

Honestly. If you're eating vegetables at all, you're far ahead of the curve.

Now if I could just find a personal chef to make me things according to my specifications...
  • awtume9
    awtume9 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with frozen veg.......

I buy big bags of frozen veggies because if I buy them fresh they usually go bad before I can eat them all.
  • gopgirl425
    gopgirl425 Posts: 140 Member
    Options

I buy big bags of frozen veggies because if I buy them fresh they usually go bad before I can eat them all.

This^
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    If it gets people to eat their vegetables, why not?
  • Angold83
    Angold83 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I always buy frozen veggies. I used to constantly forget to buy fresh veg on my way home from work which then led to me making poor food choices as I couldn't be bothered to go out again and buy them. I now always ensure that I buy 2 bags of frozen veg at a time so there is no excuse!
  • Biggirllittledreams
    Biggirllittledreams Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I don't have enough to worry about in my life so I'm going to fret over the fact that I don't wash and prep my own vegetables.

Honestly. If you're eating vegetables at all, you're far ahead of the curve.

Now if I could just find a personal chef to make me things according to my specifications...

Haha, this! ^^

If anything, freezing helps to retain the nutritional value and flavor, which would otherwise be lost if you left fresh vegetables sitting out for a day or two, or even in your fridge.

Like people have mentioned above, I'm always wary of sodium. Since I live in a dorm room for most of the year, I stock pile this- you can microwave them (which is perfect since I have a microwave, fridge, and kettle i snuck in against the rules), and they're so easy to prepare if you just toss them with noodles, rice, and basically any flavorful sauce. My campus has SUCH unhealthy food, and the fresh fruits/veggies tend to give people food poisoning, since they sit out for so long. So, frozen veggies are my way of getting all the phytochemicals and macros i need in my little dorm!
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of canned veggies as well... I just don't even care about my nutrition (sarcasm)...
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    V8.
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    I use mostly frozen veggies or like others have said the fresh go bad too fast, this way I have time to eat what I want.
    I will buy fresh salad fixings.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

This^
    +1
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Most of my veggies are prepacked and prepared. I do not have canned or frozen, but steam bags I can just throw in the microwave.
    Not done me any harm.
  • chloeealicee
    chloeealicee Posts: 204 Member
    Options

This is the main reason i buy frozen, it's a nice relief to know it's just as good.
  • Wtn_Gurl
    Wtn_Gurl Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I love a package of frozen veg! Especially the ones called "Steamers"..

For one thing, its real food, not a packaged supplement or powder that you mix and drink. If it takes a package of frozen veg to enable me to eat veg, then good for that! (I'm a fan of eating real food on a diet).
  • Wtn_Gurl
    Wtn_Gurl Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I also wanted to say - I make a quick healthy meal by one pot cooking- in a big pot i put coconut milk, cut up chicken, then when that is boiling a few minutes, then add frozen mixed veg and some seasoning and onions, and voila, delish food! one pot cooking, easy squeesy, and I have food enough for a few days, and im STILL losing weight every day!