Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I used to make a cereal with chia, seeds, hemp, cocnut and dried fruit for extra sweetness. I tried copying "Holy Crap" cereal, which I found tasty but expensive.

For less sugar, skip or reduce the dried fruit.

so now we are saying skip dried fruit because sugar??? *facedesk*

Okie dokie.... It's starting to feel like you are trolling specifically on my posts. Please stop.

The OP wrote:
    Whats your favorite no sugar cereal? I'm trying to cut all added sugar for a bit because i think it may help my sugar cravings. Looking for a good breakfast cereal i can bring to the office with me. :)

When making a cereal, if you ADD an ingredient with lots of sugar, that would qualify as ADDED SUGAR. I simply said to skip or reduce the dried fruit to reduce sugar.

*facedesk*

But in all fairness, dried fruit isnt added sugar. Its natural sugar and the OP specifically said added. Maybe the OP can clarify the statement.

If i eat cereal its generally Kashi Protein cereals but i am not sure if they have added sugar or not as i focus more on protein.

Or you can do a greek yogurt with some granola.

I suppose. I just said if you want to further reduce sugar one could skip or reduce the dried fruit (raisens). My "recipe" was already free of added sugars so I didn't think the advice about dried fruit warranted a face plant into a table...
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »
    I love just plain Kellogg's Corn flakes. Not because of the no added sugar (I don't monitor my sugar intake) but because it's just good.

Forget the comment, I don't like the taste of tree bark. So seriously are those pumpkin reeses???
  • eugenia94102
    eugenia94102 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Holy Crap, if money is no objection.
  • ewrook
    ewrook Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Ezekiel. Really tasty with warm unsweetened almond milk (or regular if you can drink it). Also great for giving yogurt a healthy crunch or sprinkled on a chopped microwaved apple for a delicious desert.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Plain Cheerios have very low sugar and low calorie too.

A lot of dried fruit does have added sugar, so as in most foods, you have to read labels
  • jonnybhoy
    jonnybhoy Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Whats your favorite no sugar cereal? I'm trying to cut all added sugar for a bit because i think it may help my sugar cravings. Looking for a good breakfast cereal i can bring to the office with me. :)

I eat porridge oats all supermarkets seem to do them smart price at 75p per kilo
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    I used to make a cereal with chia, seeds, hemp, cocnut and dried fruit for extra sweetness. I tried copying "Holy Crap" cereal, which I found tasty but expensive.

Dried fruit is very high in sugar by volume, even though it isn't added. OP specifically said she is trying to reduce sugar to get cravings under control...skip the dried fruit is good advice in this particular situation.

I agree. If you are trying to reduce sugar, I wouldn't be going for dried fruits.

Most people who say they are trying to decrease sugar mean added sugar, though. Some dried fruit has sugar added, but you can avoid that, and it has the fiber that many say makes fruit different (plus nutrients). IMO, the main reason to eat dried fruit sparingly is just that it has a lot of calories, but that just means watch volume as with walnuts or many other calorie-dense foods.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

Okie dokie.... It's starting to feel like you are trolling specifically on my posts. Please stop.

The OP wrote:

When making a cereal, if you ADD an ingredient with lots of sugar, that would qualify as ADDED SUGAR. I simply said to skip or reduce the dried fruit to reduce sugar.

*facedesk*

But in all fairness, dried fruit isnt added sugar. Its natural sugar and the OP specifically said added. Maybe the OP can clarify the statement.

If i eat cereal its generally Kashi Protein cereals but i am not sure if they have added sugar or not as i focus more on protein.

I wouldn't expect a clarification from the OP, since this post is from April 2014. Most of the people being helped by it now are the lurkers and people searching with the same question.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I like some of the Kashi cereals, but they're so damn hard my jaw hurts by the time I'm done eating them.

Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    kami3006 wrote: »
    I love just plain Kellogg's Corn flakes. Not because of the no added sugar (I don't monitor my sugar intake) but because it's just good.

Forget the comment, I don't like the taste of tree bark. So seriously are those pumpkin reeses???

I almost freaked out a little, but then realized they're probably pumpkin shaped Reeses.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options

The OP wrote:

*facedesk*

I wouldn't expect a clarification from the OP, since this post is from April 2014. Most of the people being helped by it now are the lurkers and people searching with the same question.

Wow, totally missed that.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Oops, me too.
  • ilovecereal1982
    ilovecereal1982 Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    There is no sugar cereal????? What company would commit this injustice and why was I not informed?????
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I forgot puffed wheat. Diabetics look out for "no added sugar", and dried fruit would have to be considered.