Appetite Suppressant

Options
tnp223
tnp223 Posts: 11 Member
Does anyone know of a god appetite suppressant? I am an emotional eater and I can not seem to control hunger cravings.

Replies

• dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Tea. Lots of. Green tea. Earl Grey Tea. Afternoon Tea. Chamomile Tea.

I bought a souped-up tea maker (Breville fancy-schmanzy one), stocked up on loose leaf tea, and made myself get up and refill my mug or make a new pot whenever I felt like snacking. The moving around helped distract me, and the extra water has helped me feel a whole lot better.

It took about 2 weeks for me to feel like it wasn't an effort to not snack any more. Those 2 weeks were brutal. I work from home and my office is right next to the kitchen.
  • JessG11
    JessG11 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    In my past fails I have tried a few but they are so temporary and I didn't deal with why I was an emotional eater. I've since realized that I overeat and binge when I'm stressed out and at the moment I'm always stressed out with work and Grad school. I am instead dealing with my stress and learning more positive ways to handle when I get into freak out mode instead of binging. I also have certain foods that are my "go to" foods and I've been refraining from those until I get a good handle on it. I have seen all sorts of things, including diet pills, work for people long term and then I've also seen these things not work for others so I can't speak for anyone but myself. For me, dealing with why I was emotionally eating worked way better than suppressants because even with those I still wanted to eat. Good luck on your journey!
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    If you're an emotional eater, then the appetite suppressant will not suppress your emotions, the cause of your eating.
  • atfirstblush
    atfirstblush Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Rather than reach for the pills start drinking water and lots of it. I drink a bottle of water as soon as I get up in the morning whether I'm thirsty or not, even before my coffee. It really helps to curb your hunger.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Low carb diets are an excellent appetite suppressant. One of the notable aspects of the diet that shows up time and time again in studies is that people spontaneously reduce their calories even when instructed to eat as much as they like. Coffee, tea and broth (warm liquids basically) all seem to help as well.

LCHF for Beginners
    http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    If you're an emotional eater, then the appetite suppressant will not suppress your emotions, the cause of your eating.

This.

I would highly recommend maybe seeing a counselor or research ways to deal with your emotions.

I am an emotional eater as well and until I did that, nothing would stop me.
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    if you want a pill take raspberry ketones, I did for several months. It helped me cause I could go 4-6 hours without even feeling hungry.

Like everyone else lots of water, or tea I like mine with lemon. Drink a cup of water whenever you think about eating. 9 times out of 10 your dehydrated and thirst pains feel the same as hunger pains. If you still feel hungry 15-30 minutes after drinking the water, then you may eat.

Side note: I'm an emotional eater too, or used to be. Its why I got fat in the first place. Anyways after awhile of retraining your brain, it will stop, your desire to binge eat when sad or stressed. At least that is what happened with me, when I'm worried/stressed out I loose my appetite and end up having to force myself to eat. So good luck and remember each day is a fresh start! When you have a high calorie day, don't sweet it too much, just focus on not repeating it the next day.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    You want to lose the weight and keep it off right?

You will have to face and deal with your emotions. An appetite suppressant, water, tea, raspberry magic pills, won't deal with your emotions.

It's also not healthy to go from one extreme with emotional eating to the opposite where you're not eating.
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options

You will have to face and deal with your emotions. An appetite suppressant, water, tea, raspberry magic pills, won't deal with your emotions.

It's also not healthy to go from one extreme with emotional eating to the opposite where you're not eating.

^this!!

Seriously, recommending raspberry ketones? :grumble: :noway:

OP - Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options

^this!!

Seriously, recommending raspberry ketones? :grumble: :noway:

OP - Good luck! :flowerforyou:

I don't take them pills anymore. lol Oh believe me I still eat plenty. In those emotional moments I just don't eat as much, but I still eat. I honestly don't see how thats unhealthy? Nope drinking water/tea won't help with your emotions but its better than eating 1000 calories in one setting. Plus I find a glass of hot tea very calming. I also find walking helps when I'm stressed out, even if its just around the block. The fresh air helps clear my head, I'll even talk out loud to myself and whatnot until I'm calm enough to deal with the situation.Trust me I've been through every emotion possible(shortlist: parents abused me, bullied at school, molested by lesbian neighbor, suicidally depressed teenager, rapped as adult, suffered 7 miscarried due to PCOS, a few close deaths, my husband is now unhealthy, one income, poor and living with family, the list goes on....) it will take time to cope with whatever it is your dealing with. No one will ever over come overnight.

Focus on the baby steps, you know what you need to do to be healthy. Everyone's body is different so no one diet will work for every-one. Research on your own, talk to a doctor if you need to. Find at least one person to be your support system. Talk things out, cry on their shoulder, someone to cheer you on, ask them to hold you accountable, even if it means telling you to put that 'insert junk food' down you don't need it! For me thats my husband and a couple friends, but mostly my husband.
  • MaekaGaming
    MaekaGaming Posts: 14 Member
    Options

I bought a souped-up tea maker (Breville fancy-schmanzy one), stocked up on loose leaf tea, and made myself get up and refill my mug or make a new pot whenever I felt like snacking. The moving around helped distract me, and the extra water has helped me feel a whole lot better.

It took about 2 weeks for me to feel like it wasn't an effort to not snack any more. Those 2 weeks were brutal. I work from home and my office is right next to the kitchen.

Yep I agree. Tea is a very good way to help.
  • pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Lots of practice.
  • cwsreddy
    cwsreddy Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I think everyone should have a therapist. I know it's looked down upon in our culture for some reason, but talking to unbiased people about your *kitten* is pretty awesome.

Might be worth a try.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    When I feel the need to emotionally eat I go exercise instead, usually run but any exercise will help.
  • bobbimrn
    bobbimrn Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    First of all be sure you really are eating enough daily, not just starving yourself and then binging because you are so hungry. I have tried diet pills, they eventually don't work. I have been to counseling and worked out as many issues as I think I ever will, this helped tremendously however I have found I will probably always be a stress eater. I have, in the past, cut out all snacks and sweets and if you can stick with it it eventually gets easier. However, some of what is called "emotional" eating is really cravings for certain nutrients. I have read a lot of nutrition books and I especially like a book by Kat James- "The Truth about Beauty". She lists a lot of good vitamin sources. One of the things she mentioned & I started taking was LevelRight by NuNaturals. It balances your blood sugar and helped me make better choices. My other favorite book is "The Diet Cure" by Julia Ross. Vitamin B-1 has been shown to help alcoholics and she suggests it for foodies. I now take Chromium, B-1 and Biotin and it has helped me control my cravings. There are charts in the book for you to decide what vitamins you may need. One more thing, and some people may think its nutty, but if you have too much yeast in your body it will make you crave sweets...so I do the Master Cleanse once a year and it kills my sugar cravings for quite a while! Also, the more I move- walk, bike, whatever the better I feel- Natural endorphins. Good Luck.
  • Edmond_Dantes
    Edmond_Dantes Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know of a god appetite suppressant? I am an emotional eater and I can not seem to control hunger cravings.

God's appetite will not be suppressed.
  • tk2222
    tk2222 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Running usually kills my appetite for an hour or two....also usually distracts from whatever emotional hangups are going on, which is more useful sometimes.
  • Domineer
    Domineer Posts: 239 Member
    Options

Yep I agree. Tea is a very good way to help.

I concur!! Took about a couple weeks or so for the tea to really curb the appetite. I like black tea personally, made from the same leaves as green tea, just more oxidized. You can drink as much as you want. Try to use Astevia. Maybe a little bit of honey and lemon if you need the extra taste. It has helped me shed 50 lbs in 5 months with a good workout routine and diet. No more snacks!