Women- How do you design your gym routines?

Options
For those of you not following a program like Stronglifts or NROLFW- where do you come up with the exercises you do at the gym? I often see the fittest girls in my gym doing a wide variety of exercises and I'm just looking for some recommendations on where to find some new workouts :)

Replies

• tinad120
    tinad120 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I always look for programs to pique my interest and change things up. The last one I've tired was Jamie Eason's LiveFit on bodybuilding.com. They have tons of different programs on there to suit your goals.
  • coral_b
    coral_b Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I have an amazing App on my phone that you can select an area you want to work, then it shows you the how-to's, and I build it around that, and a basic stronglifts 5x5. Whatever I'm doing I try to get 5sets of 5 reps, with the heaviest I can manage with proper form. If you search on your phones app provider you may find something that sparks your interest! I still keep my running and cardio up to a minimum 2 hours a week (not including walking, cleaning and other basic things- only running/ elliptical)
  • TKhamvongsa
    TKhamvongsa Posts: 287
    Options
    I take classes at the gym and work them into my routine. I take about 3 classes offered by my gym. Which is BodyShred/BodyPump on Mondays and Body Combat on Thursday.

On Tuesday - I work on body parts that aren't sore from Monday

Wednesday - I do the weight training circuit

Friday - Legs/Back - I lift very heavy on this day.

Weekends - OFF or if I end up there - Arc Trainer/Stretching.

I find cardio relaxing lol I get to catch up on my shows/magazines so time flies.
  • sportyredhead01
    sportyredhead01 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    http://www.fitnessrxwomen.com/

has helped me tremendously.

They have print and go workouts plus a lot of tutorials on exercises either I'm not familiar with or just plain forgot. :smile:
  • K8Fit
    K8Fit Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Bodybuilding.com
    On FB I follow women like Erin Stern, Kelsey Byers, Nicole Wilkins, and Lori Harder.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    The same as a man's.

training doesn't change if you are a man or a woman.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    make a plan on what days you want to work what body parts
    Google "work out routines to work ..."
    Use the suggestions to create your own personal workout
  • sarahstrezo
    sarahstrezo Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    The same as a man's.

training doesn't change if you are a man or a woman.

This ^^^
    The program I follow is called Power Muscle Burn 4 Day Split found on Muscle & Strength .com
  • rvpearson
    rvpearson Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I paid for 3 sessions with a personal trainer and had her set me up with 3 different machine/free weight workouts.. I wanted to make sure I was doing what I needed to do to get the best workout and have correct form. I transferred the workouts from paper form to my phone. I alternate these workouts 3 days a week at the gym (about an hour). I also do an hour of cardio (more if time allows) 5-6 days per week. It was a little expensive, but I think it was really worth the $ spent.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    When I started I relied on Oxygen mag, and Muscle and Fitness Hers and also bodybuilding.com. I still get those magazines and frequent bodybuilding.com for ideas. I also subscribe to Men's Fitness, Flex, Muscle and Fitness for my BF so I look at those before I hand them over to him. I also have some friends in the industry that have written programs so now I basically have a binder of my favorites,
  • MsMaryMac48
    MsMaryMac48 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I follow Jamie Eason's 12 week trainer. It's a program I found on bodybuilding.com. There are LOTS of programs on their to choose from it just depends on what you are looking for. Check it out.
  • dt3312
    dt3312 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Maybe you would like to try blogilates. They have lots of free on-line videos.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Have you been lifting for a long time?

I'd guess those really fit ladies are not beginners. Advanced lifters will benefit more from things like body part splits, or the accessory work that goes with programs like Wendlers 5/3/1, etc. They also might be doing bulking/hypertrophy routines which require a lot of volume.

Beginners should stick to the basics. Big basic compound lifts like those in Stronglifts hit all major muscle groups and most of the minor ones and really build a good base of strength to build into the future.

My current program is actually based on this post:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/373801-two-day-full-body-strength-training-routine
  • beaches222
    beaches222 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    bump
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    exrx.net
  • kiarafitjourney
    kiarafitjourney Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I keep it simple.
    Go to gym 3 or 4 times a week and do these workout :
    Day 1 : chest and triceps
    Day 2 : legs and abs
    Day 3 : back and biceps
    And you back again to day one. The idea is to train differrent muscle group everytime.
    As for cardio, when i train my upper body i do 5 mins before lifting to warms up. And after lifting i do another 15 mins (usually do HIIT)
    And on legs day i do 10 mins cardio before lifting cuz usually i'll be so weak after that.
    Hope it helps!