Husband's ridiculous excuse for no activity (rant)

Options

Replies

• Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    BTW, his plan does not involve weights, just, in his words, "power walking".

^^ It's a start.
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    In for future post from husband who found out that his wife is tempted to laugh in his face, is annoyed by him, and refers to him as ignorant in public forums. Your husband sounds like he's making excuses and you sound like a real peach.
  • mc_hudd
    mc_hudd Posts: 47
    Options
    My hubby works out of town for a week & is then home for a week. I've tried to get him to work out with me at home, because he's constantly complaining about his belly. This last week when he was home, he worked out 1 night with me! The other nights he was just too tired. :huh: I've decided to carry on with my routine & ignore him & let him be jealous of my fitness, LOL! :laugh:
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    It's been said here before.. But do nothing more than be a good influence and support him when he is ready.
    don't be that nag. Nobody likes that nag. Nobody is motivated by that nag.
    Nobody wants to shag that nag.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Sounds like he's really up on the science of fitness.

GNYMcfR.gif
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I had the most ridiculous conversation with my husband last night in regards to exercise/fitness. He is "interested" in starting a routine at the gym, but is making a ridiculous excuse to NOT get started.

A little backstory: We work opposite schedules- he works M-F 8-5 and I work 12 hour nights 7p-7a various nights per week. My schedule right now mainly consists of working one week 6 out of 7 days then having a week off. I make time in this for exercise, but during my work weeks, I go to the gym 3 times per week, on my off weeks 5-6 times per week. In other words, it's not all that consistent, but I go when I can and try make sure I do my lifting consistently. He wants to go to the gym with me after he gets off work but we have a special needs child who cannot be left unattended. My solution was for him to go by himself....get ready for this....

He says that unless he has a strict schedule, like say, every MWF there's no point and that unless it's consistent like that, there's no benefits. He actually said "ask any fitness expert, if you do that it's like going backward." I wanted to laugh in his face but didn't- I just shut up because there is no way to respond to something so ignorant.

So by his logic, fitting it in when you can has as many benefits as not doing it at all.

I was seriously at a loss for words....REALLY?!?!?

Thoughts on my rant? Would this annoy the heck out of anyone else, or am I crazy?

Sounds like you need to start withholding sex until he gets his butt in the gym.
  • b3st
    b3st Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    He'll be really happy when he reads this.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    While it's not true that there's no benefit to non-regular exercise, I can see where he's coming from re having a set schedule. I'm much more consistent about anything I do if I have fixed times in the week when I do that. This goes for everything, not just the gym. Even housework. Without a schedule, I get kind of lost and forget to do stuff, or constantly procrastinate about it. This is just how I am and I make schedules for myself to ensure that I stick with it. Maybe he's the same. Maybe he didn't express himself very well but what he means to say is in order for him to succeed he needs a fixed schedule.
  • slk_5555
    slk_5555 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Don't see the issue really. You are both adults capable of making your own independent decisions. He shouldn't have to justify his exercise or lack of exercise to you & you don't have to justify your exercise with him. If the tables were turned, would you want him to query if/when u were going to exercise?
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I had the most ridiculous conversation with my husband last night in regards to exercise/fitness. He is "interested" in starting a routine at the gym, but is making a ridiculous excuse to NOT get started.

A little backstory: We work opposite schedules- he works M-F 8-5 and I work 12 hour nights 7p-7a various nights per week. My schedule right now mainly consists of working one week 6 out of 7 days then having a week off. I make time in this for exercise, but during my work weeks, I go to the gym 3 times per week, on my off weeks 5-6 times per week. In other words, it's not all that consistent, but I go when I can and try make sure I do my lifting consistently. He wants to go to the gym with me after he gets off work but we have a special needs child who cannot be left unattended. My solution was for him to go by himself....get ready for this....

He says that unless he has a strict schedule, like say, every MWF there's no point and that unless it's consistent like that, there's no benefits. He actually said "ask any fitness expert, if you do that it's like going backward." I wanted to laugh in his face but didn't- I just shut up because there is no way to respond to something so ignorant.

So by his logic, fitting it in when you can has as many benefits as not doing it at all.

Thoughts on my rant? Would this annoy the heck out of anyone else, or am I crazy?

My husband has similar issues. They are his issues.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options

Sounds like you need to start withholding sex until he gets his butt in the gym.
    I look forward to seeing how that works out for her.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I would ACTUALLY ask a fitness expert, or find a peer-reviewed medical journal entry (something he can't dispute) proving that his idea is full of crap.

But be prepared for it to not do any good, as it sounds like just a weak-sauce cop out to not go exercise.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    I would ACTUALLY ask a fitness expert, or find a peer-reviewed medical journal entry (something he can't dispute) proving that his idea is full of crap.

But be prepared for it to not do any good, as it sounds like just a weak-sauce cop out to not go exercise.

Whenever a spouse presents an emotion-based position, it's best to counter with hard facts. That way you win!
  • sunnyhlw77
    sunnyhlw77 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I thought my husband's excuse (treadmills are boring cause the scenery doesn't change, but he won't watch TV while doing it and walking outside gets repetitive - I'm like WTF do you want?). I chalk my husband's not exercising to just plain laziness!
  • alathIN
    alathIN Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Don't try to be your spouse's coach.

He does kind of semi- have a point; consistency is the key to fitness gains. But to say "I can't have consistency, therefore I'm not going to exercise," is an obvious cop-out.

So, yes, you are correct. However there is no winning if you try to argue your spouse into exercising.
    Run your own program; let him run his.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    "He WANTS to go to the gym with me after he gets off work"

(you said he can't) - Now he's making excuses to not go.

Sounds like he just wanted to spend some time just the two of you doing something he knows you enjoy. I get the difficulties with childcare honestly. But do you have family or friends who could sit one night a week so you could go together? I don't think the 'consistancy' is the issue here OP.
  • alathIN
    Options

Whenever a spouse presents an emotion-based position, it's best to counter with hard facts. That way you win!

Is this meant to be snark?
    Because although you may "win" the argument by being right on the fact, you are very unlikely to "win" your spouse's wholehearted participation this way.
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options

I see no problem with starting out with walking. I started out with walking and gradually built from there. Now I'm training for a sprint triathlon.

Walking is better than nothing.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

He does kind of semi- have a point; consistency is the key to fitness gains. But to say "I can't have consistency, therefore I'm not going to exercise," is an obvious cop-out.

So, yes, you are correct. However there is no winning if you try to argue your spouse into exercising.

Consistency doesn't mean "Monday from 1:45 - 2:45"

Consistency means "following a progressive lifting program 4 times a week for 6 years"
  • alathIN
    Options

Consistency doesn't mean "Monday from 1:45 - 2:45"

Consistency means "following a progressive lifting program 4 times a week for 6 years"

Yes, you're right. But I doubt many spouses have got their other halves to participate in a 6 year fitness program, by defeating them in an argument.