Gluten free flour UK

Options
motivatedmartha
motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
Does anyone in UK use proprietory gluten free flour. I want to bake my hubby a lemon cake for Easter and was thinking about trying Doves or Sainsbury's Free From white self raising flour - interested to hear of people's experience and whether they have any hints.

Replies

• jamieo70
    jamieo70 Posts: 24
    Options
    I've tried many of the commercial GF flours here in the US and have not been too pleased. I don't like the ones that are made with any bean flours. I don't like the flavor. I make my own that's a mix of rice flour, potato starch, tapioca starch and powdered nonfat milk. I would suggest picking a commercial product that's based on rice flour.
    Have you done a lot of GF baking? In many recipes you can't just substitute the flour. You need some additional binding agents.
  • cpdiminish
    Options
    I avoid premixed flours after some bad initial trials - never had any luck when it comes to flavor and they seem to go stale before I get them home from the store.

I did some research online before responding and found this link, an interview with some folks from the American Test Kitchen.

http://www.npr.org/2014/03/20/291873792/test-kitchen-have-your-gluten-free-cake-and-love-eating-it-too

They recommend King Arthur brand GF flour blend and also share their own flour recipe.
    http://www.npr.org/2014/03/20/291873792/test-kitchen-have-your-gluten-free-cake-and-love-eating-it-too#flourblend

I concur on the potato and tapioca aspects of this flour recipe.

The one thing I'd look out for are the different types of gums (such as xanthum gum) that are supposed to add texture and rise. They may do so, but they are also really concentrated fiber that don't do the digestive system any favors. Basically they absorb liquid, but they keep absorbing liquid even as they go through your system which can cause problems. You'll see gum as an ingredient in most premade GF foods, but the problems normally arise when you eat too much of the GF food that contains the gum. For instance, a big plate of pancakes - bad idea. Half as many pancakes served with some fresh fruit that is high in fiber and moisture - no problem.

My grocery store does sell a "dough enhancer" that is supposed to help with texture and rise that is mainly tapioca. Bought it but haven't tried it yet. Does't seem as if it would be needed with the flour recipe from the American Test Kitchen that already has a good bit of tapioca.
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for your replies. Very new to this; hubby recently been recommended a gluten free diet by his GP and it is making a huge difference to his symptoms. I thought it would be nice to bake him something for Easter and saw a review for Dove GF flour - will do some more research. It is tough as he does enjoy a beer!!

Thanks again
  • failteromhat
    failteromhat Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for your replies. Very new to this; hubby recently been recommended a gluten free diet by his GP and it is making a huge difference to his symptoms. I thought it would be nice to bake him something for Easter and saw a review for Dove GF flour - will do some more research. It is tough as he does enjoy a beer!!

Thanks again
    I use the Doves and never have any issue, but I do add additional Xanthan Gum (Dovers farm make this also) even though its premixed in, to make sure the stuff doesnt crumble
  • rslcarson
    rslcarson Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    My hubby has had food intolerance issues for a few years. His main intolerance is dairy and gluten is only borderline but I bake with gluten free ingredients for him.

I never had much luck getting a good cake from gf flour, I tried the Dove brand and also tried mixing the potato, rice and other blends but I still couldn't get that nice light texture or taste to a plain cake.

For his birthday and special occasions, I make him carrot cake now...I use James Martins carrot cake recipe but I replace the flour with Gf flour. I also add cherries, walnuts, peacans and coconut which bulks out the cake. Because there is so much else in the cake and little "cake" itself it turns out great!

Definitely don't try and make a special cake for Easter without a practice run first... also the Tesco free from cake is delicious, I doubt being able to bake one as good.

p.s if you do try it out, make sure and get some Xanthan gum...add it in as it's a must with GF flours, I was able to get some from Tesco simple enough.
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options

Thanks again

I believe Budweiser is OK for gluten-free folks!
  • slimlinepic
    Options
    Hello.

I always use Doves, and have never had any issues... and don't add extra xantham gum.

My go to sponge recipe is below. I have even used it in baking competitions, to high aclaim for texture and taste. :smile:

It is very adaptable, for cupcakes, sponges, lemon cakes etc... just scale up or down as necessary, and add the extra ingredients after getting to a smooth batter.
    Raspberry jam, cherry jam, lemon curd, cherries (tossed in desicated coconut so they don't sink)or lemon and orange juice and zest are all yummy!

100g doves gluten free self raising flour
    70g doves gluten free plain flour
    1 teaspoon baking powder (this should be GF too)
    100g butter, softened
    150g caster sugar (ideally golden)
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
    2 large eggs
    85ml whole milk

Preheat oven to 190C (or 175C fan) I've used both, and have no preference!

Put the butter, sugar and vanilla extract in a large bowl and beat with a hand held electric mixer until it is pale and fluffy. Add the eggs and milk and mix well.
    NOTE: It will look very "wrong" at this point, almost curdled, but don't panic!

Sift in both flours, baking powder, bicarb of soda and beat on a low speed until well combined into a smooth batter.

Pour the mixture into your chosen tin/ tray etc.

Pop in the oven for about 20-25 minutes until well risen and a skewer inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before decorating etc.

(timing on the low end for cupcakes, longer for a thick sponge, obviously!)

Best of luck - I'm sure your hubby will be thrilled...

Jules x

edited to add note about GF baking powder - which I forgot as it is all I have :laugh:
  • tamzinb10
    tamzinb10 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I never have any problems with the Doves Farm....

Other alternatives are polenta cake, this one is really easy and works well, especially if you want a Lemon Drizzle:

http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/LEMON-POLENTA-CAKE-5308

Or to use ground almond in place of flour, this makes a much denser cake, but this one is really tasty:

http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/CHOCOLATE-OLIVE-OIL-CAKE-5551
  • cpdiminish
    Options
    I believe Budweiser is OK for gluten-free folks!

Hahahahaha. Budweiser is not okay, but that comment did give me a good laugh.

Track down some beers made from Sorghum. I don't drink them often and mainly use them for cooking so I know less about the "good ones". If your local stores don't carry them, you likely can place special orders.

I do know that Redbridge is the Budweisser of GF beers (and made by Anheuser-Busch)

St. Peter's has some varieties that are way too high in alcohol content for my liking, and taste it.

Bard's generally gets good reviews.

Those are the only ones I've found and tried though I'd love to get my hands on a Green's Endeavor to try a dark GF beer.