Question for the ladies...

Options
Hi sisters,

I am currently on my "monthly" and have zero energy. And I mean zero energy. I went to the store (this is about a seven minute walk,) and in the store I had the jelly legs and the shakes.

Does anyone know if you actually need more calories during this time? I don't know how I'll get a workout in in this shape.

Anyone else have these issues? Any advice is welcome, please and thankyou!

Replies

• lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Hi sisters,

I am currently on my "monthly" and have zero energy. And I mean zero energy. I went to the store (this is about a seven minute walk,) and in the store I had the jelly legs and the shakes.

Does anyone know if you actually need more calories during this time? I don't know how I'll get a workout in in this shape.

Anyone else have these issues? Any advice is welcome, please and thankyou!
  • fessler
    fessler Posts: 23
    Options
    I would start with an extra multi-vitamin and then consume some electrolytes on a regular basis. Water down some gaterade...1/4 gaterade...3/4 water and see if this helps. Most of it is probably the lower amount of estrogen effecting how your body feels...you don't necessarily need more calories, but you may need to hit your body harder with nutrients. It will help with sore muscles.

This is what I have my clients do.
  • kimford28
    kimford28 Posts: 320
    Options
    Also, be sure you are getting enough calcium!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,943 Member
    Options
    I am with the other ladies. You need to supplement your nutrients if you have cut your calories: you can't possibly meet your nutrient needs if you are eating 1200-1500 calories daily. At minimum a multi-vitamin (with iron to help with the blood). I also take a calcium / magnesium / vitamin D / zinc supplement and a Omega3.6.9 supplement.
    A vitamin B-Complex supplement is also a good idea for women - which I also take.

I don't get tired, or weak, and as a matter of fact I have more energy than ever! - Though in my case, doing away with my carb-high diet and eating less sugar and exercising seem to be key.

Feel better!

cm
  • lotusfromthemud
    Options
    just took an extra multi and an extra fish oil to help out.

Also moved the bottles to my computer area so I'd remember to take them....

I seem to be spending a lot of time by my computer lately...

thanks to all!
  • pamelawh
    pamelawh Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    yesterday was that time for me. it used to be when i weighed more that i would get severe cramps or a severe headache. its wild but those symptoms went away with my weight loss. i still tend to be more emotional and yesterday i was tempted to use it as an excuse not to work out and what spurred me on was the knowledge that friday is my rest day. my rest days are monday and friday. i have my best workouts on saturday and sunday. i feel like i need more iron during this time but i also think about chocolate.
  • julieofthewolves
    julieofthewolves Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I wish I just thought about chocolate, but last night I had two miniatures and a fat free hot chocolate. If there was a bar of chocolate here right now I would probably eat that too.

I am like cm and have more energy than usual. I also drink lots of herbal/black/green tea during this time. And when I sleep I think I sleep a lot harder than usual.
  • time2wrk
    time2wrk Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    I get a burst of energy the week before my period. I 've learned to take advantage of it and do my big house projects (like clean out closets, etc.), because the first 2 days of my actual period I am like you and have zero energy. I have found that eating lots of spinach helps, and I tend to crave red meat, so for me it is most likely an iron issue. Maybe talk to your doctor to see if you need more iron during your period.
  • lotusfromthemud
    Options
    today at the store I had to have the rare flank steak and the spinach...methinks the body is telling me something...
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Always listen to your body =)
  • time2wrk
    Options
    I find that I also have to guard against some less healthy cravings - chocolate, caffeine, and red wine. If I keep track of any overindulgences of any of those three things, I usually find it is when I am PMSing. SO, not only do I have to listen to it for what it needs, I have to be stronger than the cravings for the things it DOESN'T need!
  • Healthier_Me
    Options
    Ok, since this is a ladies subject.. I thought to add my post here instead of making a new one...

Anywho...

A few days ago I went shopping for jeans b/c I only have 1 pair of pants that fit (a good thing).
    I tried on a size 8, they were a bit big, I tried on a size 6 and they weren't comfy yet... what should I do?

Also, I NEED BRAS!!.. *ugh*
    I have been wearing sports bras for I don't know how long b/c I can't find the right size.
    I'm tiny up top... more now after losing weight & nursing my 2nd baby. I tried on a size 34A.. the cup size fit good but a 34 was tight so I tried a 36A... 36 fit very good but the cups were too big...

I know I should get measured but I don't want to do that until I'm done losing weight which is only about 2 pounds BUT I have to tone up.

I thought that shopping trip was going to be THE shopping trip of my life... WRONG!
    I was so bummed.
  • time2wrk
    Options
    I would buy a cheapo pair of 8s since you are doing so well and won't be in them for long. When the 6s fit comfortably, splurge and get a really cool bunch of pants! :-) It would be worth it to get measured for a good bra. You can always go get re-measured again of your size changes. Sounds like it was still a good shopping trip, I WISH I was an 8!!! :-)
  • lotusfromthemud
    Options
    For me, the bra is worth the extra money to buy a good one that fits...
    I'm lucky enough to have a store with fitters down the street...

they know me, because I'm smaller every few months. the size will also change as you tone up.
  • Healthier_Me
    Options
    So I'll buy a cheap papir of 8's and will hold off on the bra b/c good bras are not cheap.

Thanks ladies!!
  • julieofthewolves
    julieofthewolves Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Healthier.... what about a consignment store for size 8's? We have a really, really nice consignment store where I live and it seems like it would be a great source for transition clothes. The store we have is for women only and is good -- highly screened, quality brands. I can get a pair of jeans for about $10/each. I almost always go there for dress clothing since I don't wear that stuff very often and I don't want to spend a lot.
  • Healthier_Me
    Options
    We don't have good adult consigments over here.
    I'll look some more b/c that is a great idea.
    The cheapest pair I've found for good quality jeans is 30 bucks.... too pricey for me since I won't be wearing them for too long.

I WILL FIND A PAIR BEFORE HALLOWEEN!!.... hopefully =)
  • denmother46
    denmother46 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Healthier,
    DId you only try on one or two brands in a size 6? Or are you loyal to only certain brands? There is a huge range in any given size. If you only are going to lose two more pounds that wont drop you a whole size down. The typical amount is 10 pounds between sizes. Maybe ask at the store which ones run small/or a little larger. If they fit comfortably now they will still fit well if you lose two more pounds..

Congrats on being at the shopping stage................!!!!!!
  • lotusfromthemud
    Options
    Levis makes a lower cost version of their jeans that I have bought at walmart or target...they have some stretch and are bootcut, so are not mom-jeany. I've gone through like five pairs of them (over a few years). They fit a curvy body pretty well and are cheap...I think just around twenty bucks.

I get more compliments on them than some much more expensive ones I own...just a suggestion.
  • ahertel0214
    ahertel0214 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Healtier _Me,

I have so been through the bra ordeal - finally my Mom pulled me into Nordstrom to have a fitting.

I was amazed at how well this woman did her job! My tata's have never been so comfortable, happy, or well dressed!

Come to find out that all these years I was wearing the wrong size. I was stuffing myself into a 36D when in reality I need to wear a 34DD. It's amazing the difference it makes - I stand taller for sure because I don't feel like they're going to fall out and I've stopped layering EVERYTHING I wear with a tight tank top underneath to keep everyone "where they should be". ;)

All of this, plus my bras are actually PRETTY - I was convinced that once they got this big I'd be wearing granny bras for the duration - not true, there are actually pretty ones out there!

I know Victoria's does fittings also, and I'm sure the major depatment stores do them too... not sure what stores you have over there on the east coast but I bet someone can help!