What App do you use to track your running?

Options
I want to be able to track my running but there are so many apps out there for this.

Which is a pretty good one to go with, I want something that is accurate not an estimate.

Thanks!

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I use Runkeeper
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I use Runmeter. I've used it for a long time and really like it, but I think there are a lot of others that might have more features.

Along with OP's question, does anyone know if there is a running app that gives directions? My running club has crazy routes and I always get lost. I'd love to program something in and be able to have the app be able to tell me where to turn.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I use Runkeeper and Nike+.

Started with Runkeeper, and I keep it because it has settings for other activities like walking, hiking, etc. And I have pals there.

I like the Nike+ app for the motivation of challenges, earning Nike Fuel, and "leveling up" & earning badges, and being ranked among friends for most mileage or runs in a month - little things that have pushed me to go farther or get up and run on a day when I don't feel like it. I can also track shoe mileage and retire a shoe when it's seen better days. Little things like that make Nike+ my fave running app, but I always have both apps going when I'm out there.
  • aswearingen22
    aswearingen22 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I want to be able to track my running but there are so many apps out there for this.

Which is a pretty good one to go with, I want something that is accurate not an estimate.

Thanks!

No app will be accurate, it'll be kind of close. The gps in cell phones isn't designed to work in that way and it will always overestimate your distance (so it will say 1.0 mile when you've really gone say 0.93). If you want accuracy, you need to invest in a gps watch like a Garmin.
  • aswearingen22
    aswearingen22 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I use Runmeter. I've used it for a long time and really like it, but I think there are a lot of others that might have more features.

Along with OP's question, does anyone know if there is a running app that gives directions? My running club has crazy routes and I always get lost. I'd love to program something in and be able to have the app be able to tell me where to turn.

How does your running club give you the route? Ours puts them out on mapmyrun and I can send it to my cell phone...then if I get lost, I just open the app and that route/course and it'll show me where I am in relation to the course. I suppose you could just run that course with the app going, but I don't since I run with my Garmin.
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options

How does your running club give you the route? Ours puts them out on mapmyrun and I can send it to my cell phone...then if I get lost, I just open the app and that route/course and it'll show me where I am in relation to the course. I suppose you could just run that course with the app going, but I don't since I run with my Garmin.

My run club also puts them on map my run. I'm new to the club and I don't know all the routes yet and many of the streets change names multiple times, so opening the map on my phone and trying to read it can be hard. I'd love an app that just says "turn left on 43rd St in 200 yards" if one exists.
  • TriLaura
    TriLaura Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    There is a mapmy (run, ride, fitness) phone app. I use it and it is pretty close to my garmin in terms of gps accuracy. Not so accurate for calorie burn though, usually much higher than my Garmin. If only I could eat that much more!
  • LessthanKris
    LessthanKris Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I use Map My Run for the IPhone. I like it but it underestimates my calories compared to my HRM. I also need to figure out if it can keep the screen on because if I am running just the app, the phone locks and I would like to be able look and see the distance and time without having the turn the phone back on.

Anyone know is it does that or does Runkeeper?
  • dmckinney18
    Options
    I use Nike+
  • thedove60
    Options
    I use Endomondo, which tracks running and many other activities, It also connects and shares with myfitnesspal
  • fauxpunker
    fauxpunker Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Before I got sick of my phone, I used Runkeeper. Really liked it.
  • FancyPantsFran
    FancyPantsFran Posts: 3,687 Member
    Options
    Runtastic or runkeeper
  • running4myboys
    running4myboys Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I use Runkeeper, but I'm looking at investing in a Garmin. A few of then can then be linked and uploaded to Runkeeper as well.
  • ftbllguy05
    ftbllguy05 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I use the Nike+ sports watch. It has a built in TomTom GPS and it syncs with a Polar heart rate monitor (sold separately) and shoe sensor. I'm a data geek myself, so I love the tracking perspective. It allows me to track my splits vs previous runs, track speed vs elevation change etc. I expect its accuracy is about as good as it gets. I don't know anything that's going to be more accurate anyway. Its a bit pricey, but mine lasted over 225 runs and nearly 800 miles before the band started to break. A call into the nike support center and few days later, I had a brand new replacement free of charge. My only wish is that it could sync with MyFitnessPal. Maybe one day...
  • jonnie7053
    jonnie7053 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I used runtastic, but have switched to garmin 110 about a year ago. The garmin 110 is more accurate than any mobile phone apps, plus the benefit of a heart rate monitor allows for better calorie tracking.
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I use mapmyrun and endomondo... Endomondo is very accurate every time I've run, just turn my GPS on and it does it's thing, even as far as my placement on the street...
  • jaysull21
    jaysull21 Posts: 58
    Options
    I like mapmyrun the best, but switched to runkeeper for a couple tries because my phone kept shutting off in the middle of a run. Found out it was some other app also using the gps interfering with it, because Runkeeper starting shutting off too and now I'm back to MapMyRun.
  • Colliex3
    Colliex3 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! im gonna try MapMyRun.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Just run.

Get a $20 Timex watch that tracks time. Run.

Or forget the watch and just run.

If you want to track, you can map your run after the fact and track it in a spread sheet or something.

Back in the old days, we'd run and run and run. Then if I cared what the distance was, I'd have to drive it and check the odometer.

2 years ago, I got a Forerunner 405 and have used it since though. It is fun, but it hasn't improved my running at all. 25 months ago, I used a $20 watch and google maps after the fact.
  • dettiot
    dettiot Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I use Nike+, because I like the challenges I can set myself and being able to level up. Plus, I just like the UI.