Do you need a gym?

Options
2»

Replies

• BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I am my own personal trainer and I haven't set foot inside a gym. I have lost just shy of 60 lbs.
  • nancy10272004
    nancy10272004 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    My simple answer: No.

All I do for exercise is wear a FitBit and meet my goals that I set on it. I've lost over 20 lbs just by walking and meeting my calorie goals. If you feel like walking isn't enough of a workout, there are apps for HIIT workouts that can do at home with no special equipment. If you want a strength/cardio workout, try a yoga app with an advanced power yoga workout.

I've wasted so much money on gyms over the years that I've vowed not to do it again. I had a personal trainer and he wasn't watching me do lunges and I hurt my kneee. That what a really expensive knee brace.
  • kwantlen2051
    kwantlen2051 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I think it's all about accountability. It doesn't matter where you exercise. If you decided on your goal, what you want to do, then you stick to it, you will succeed. I do my exercises at home and watch what I eat and it works for me. I decided that I never want to be fat again. If you think going to the gym or getting a personal trainer will work for you, go for it as long as you stick to your plan.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Get+Fit.jpg
  • skp1711
    skp1711 Posts: 6
    Options
    If it makes your mind committed to the workouts by having a personal trainer , Then why not? at the beginning sometimes i used to go only because i pay money and i dont want to lose them without any use....Goodluck
  • lrmall01
    lrmall01 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    No - as others have said it is a tool that may help but it isn't absolutely needed.
    Weight loss (at least in my experience) firstly requires being in the right place, mentally & emotionally.

This is what you need.
  • _cdaley
    _cdaley Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    A gym membership helps me because I don't like to work out at home. I get bored. Plus, my gym membership includes all group fitness classes in the cost, so on any given day of the week I can take yoga, tabata, dance, step, stretch, kickboxing, water aerobics, Pilates, etc. I know you can totally do the same thing at home with videos, but I enjoy a live instructor and the group environment. I also work with a personal trainer once a week, and he really helps me with strength training. I don't know what exercises to do when it comes to strength training, so working with my trainer educates me and keeps me motivated. Of course this all costs money, but I feel it is working for me so I work it in to my budget and give up some other things that aren't as important.

Most gyms offer a free trial period (3 days, 5 days) if you stop in and talk to them about joining. You could try out a gym or two and see what you think. If you don't like it, working out at home works just as well. It's really about what keeps you interested and motivated.
  • Grumpsandwich
    Grumpsandwich Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I havent stepped foot in a gym in over 15 years. I have hand weights at home ( just 5 lb ones and was enough to tone and build muscle) I honestly use a kitchen step ladder to do step ups. I do have an elliptical in my basement though which is a big ticket item but i do most of my cardio work outs doing belly dance drills from home.

I think the thing that was more beneficial to my weight loss though was seeing a nutritionist. It broke so many misconceptions about food and really helped me lose the weight I never thought i could.

When i had a gym membership years ago. My so called personal trainer gave me a print out. Told me what to do and that was the last i saw him for months unless I missed signing in more than twice in a row. >(
  • jb4724
    jb4724 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love my group classes at the gym, especially Zumba and cycling. I now know my instructors and other ladies in those group classes, and if I miss a week they notice that I'm not there - I feel like I'm disappointing them if I skip. The fact that I'm spending money on the membership is a motivator, but I also see that I lose more weight on the weeks that I sweat it out at the gym.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I've been "trying" to lose weight for 2 years now. Really it's been a battle for nearly 15 years.

I'm not consistent in my efforts. 3 to 10 days of good solid progress and 3 to 4 days of "whatever eating". Is it better that I join a gym or get a personal trainer? I've been avoiding the expense but maybe that is what you have to do? I'm 37 and have 50 pounds to lose. All of my family is morbidly obese. I think I have age and genetics stacked against me. It just seems like I'm getting no where.

New to MFP because it can sync up with the body media fitbit. Any thoughts, did a personal trainer help you or were you able to lose weight without a gym membership?

I haven't seen the inside of a gym since I was 19. I lost weight just by being meticulous with my food diary.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    I didn't implement any regular exercise until I hit my goal weight.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    I lost 25 lbs by cutting back & changing my food habits ......

Lost another 10 lbs when I started walking each day ......

Had only lost a few more lbs since joining the gym, but have definitely built up my stamina ......