Is it a bad idea...

Options
to start jogging when you are at least 100lbs overweight?? I have never been a runner but have kinda always wanted to be. The idea sounds stupid in my head because I get out of breath just walking. :grumble: Maybe I just answered my own question. Hmmmm

Replies

• Melis25Fit
    Melis25Fit Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Start slowly... if you feel like you can, then try. But listen to your body....
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I say if you don't have joint issues, give it a shot.
    If you're worried about it, ask your doc.
    Good for you for wanting to push yourself! That's what this is all about!
    Awesome!
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could try C25K? Look it up, in google and you can find the plan there. It eases you slowly into jogging. You should probably talk to your doctor as well, as I'm no professional and I don't know how healthy you are.
  • foxylady8098
    Options
    Start with power walking and then gradually start jogging.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Start slow, no need to rush into jogging. Go for long walks. You can always increase your speed to get your heart up if you can handle it. I wouldn't be so quick to start jogging until you get used to atleast walking. Shin splints and pulled tendons, etc will prevent you from doing anything at all. So, take it slow and build up to it gradually. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • selaing
    Options
    I've found that the extra weight I carry puts extra pressure on my joints, and jogging/running can be pretty high-impact on your hips and knees. I'm not a professional, but maybe start walking and increasing your pace over time. . . .
  • Alysgrma
    Alysgrma Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I too was 100+ overweight..I started just walking, couldn't even make it to the mailbox without huffing and puffing but slowly started walking around the block and now I am up to 4.3 miles and jogging for a few mintues to boot. So yes, if you really want to do it and you start slow you can do anything!!!

Good Luck!!
    Mary
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    And don't be fooled... jogging isn't as fun as it looks! :laugh:
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    Start with power walking and then gradually start jogging.

I would recommend this, too, and I think most docs would agree. In fact, more and more doctors are saying to cut back on running, even for people who aren't overweight, because it stresses your joints. The more weight you add, the more stress your joints experience. But running is really fun.... So if you still want to run, I would work up to it.
  • amccabe110
    amccabe110 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm in week 6 of c25k. I've been running outside, but just joined a gym with treadmills since it's now dark out when I get home from work. I realized that women on both sides of me were power walking at about the same pace as I ran! I would definitely talk to your Dr and maybe start with walking. The program is awesome by the way....when I started I could barely make the 60 second run, now I'm running at 10 minute intervals!! Good luck! I think there's a thread with people just starting on here :smile:
  • SP0472
    SP0472 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    to start jogging when you are at least 100lbs overweight?? I have never been a runner but have kinda always wanted to be. The idea sounds stupid in my head because I get out of breath just walking. :grumble: Maybe I just answered my own question. Hmmmm

No...it's not a bad idea but you have to know your own limitations. I'm about 200lbs overweight and I do walking/jogging intervals. AND...I have nerve damage in my left leg that causes me to walk with a cane [oddly enough, I dont need the cane when I jog].
  • logiesmom
    logiesmom Posts: 142
    Options
    Thanks for the advice!! I actually have a doctor's appointment today so I am going to discuss this with her. I looked up the C25k and that seems pretty doable! I have always wanted to be athletic but never acheived that goal. I am hoping this will help me for I am not as young as I used to be.

Thanks again!!!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I was 100 lbs overweight and started couch to 5k. I'd make sure to stretch REALLY good before you run, and then try it out. Listen to your body.
  • championnfl
    championnfl Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Remember have to crawl before you can walk,take your time,there is no timetable.Doing it for yourself,not for others! Took time to put on the weight will take the same amount of time to lose it.[healthy lifestyle]

Ever consider the swimming pool? Less pressure on joints and can do other exercises as well. Good Luck!:wink:
  • Slow and steady really does win the race! If you think you can jog ... Just jog for a few mins of your walk or treadmill exercise. There's nothing wrong with running or jogging, but for those of us (meaning me) with a bit more girth (217lbs) .... Running can be really hard on the knees and ankles. If you start jogging, and end up hurting ... You will be less likely to jump up and want to exercise next time ... To say nothing of the possibility of really hurting yourself! Start slow ... Just think of the great Blog you'll write the day that you go out and jog for your entire exercise allotment! Don't rush it ... I can't wait to read the Blog!!

KIM
  • LuckySue333
    Options
    I would walk first as fast as you can and build yourself up to jogging... I envie people who jog also. But jogging is not for me... Good luck to if you decide to do it...
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    And don't be fooled... jogging isn't as fun as it looks! :laugh:

I thought that this was funny. My dad asked me why you never see runners smile. I told him it's because there's nothing fun about running, just the feeling of accomplishment you have when you're done.
  • ChubbieTubbie
    ChubbieTubbie Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I recommend the C25K and take it as slowly as you need! I am over 100 lb overweight and jogging and running takes a lot out of me, but every time I do it I can push myself a little bit further. When I started, I couldn't even walk around the block without feeling tired and breathless, now I can walk for 30 minutes before my calves start to cramp up and I can jog in intervals for 4 or 5 rotations without the need for a break. Just listen to your body and do what works for you--I am jogging nowhere near as quickly as some people do, and sometimes it doesn't even feel like I'm going much faster than my 'quick walking' pace, but my heart rate goes up and I find a move differently when I jog as opposed to walking, so apparently something is working. :smile:
  • elainegsd
    elainegsd Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Not a bad idea at all, but think of it as a longer-term goal. You might not be able to jog now, but work on walking and over time increase the duration and speed. Before you know it, you will be jogging!
  • dbrady102
    dbrady102 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I used to run when I was younger and a LOT slimmer. The endorphins afterwards are great. I miss running because being 250 I can't run. One thing you REALLY need to do is make sure you have really good shoes because the more weight you carry the more stress you put on not just joints but also your feet. Stress fractures can happen. I know if I walk a lot my feet are sore/feel bruised the next day. So check with Doctor, work your way up, use good shoes and have fun! Oh - and don't forget to stretch afterwards like someone else on here suggested.