Stuck on a 5 week plateau

Options
I have been stuck on the same weight give or take a 1lbs or 2 for the passed 5 weeks since I started back at the gym and taking up body pump, body combat and spinning.
Since August I have lost 30lbs on a heartbreak diet without even really trying. And now that I'm putting effort in watching what I eat (most of the time) working out 3-4 days a week. I've not seen any change on the scale.
People around me keep saying i'm losing more and more weight every time they see me.
I feel stupid telling them that actually the only weight change is me gaining and losing the same 1 or 2lbs. I've tried ignoring the scales and just weighing weekly. When I've had a good week food and exercise wise I stand on the scale expecting to see a drop...then I feel demotivated all over again.

It's driving me insane....rant over

Replies

• VanessaRudden
    VanessaRudden Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Hang in there - its supposed to get Better - and you should start moving again - I have the same trouble myself.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    most likely, you are losing inches without losing weight. Some of the activities you are doing at the gym train muscles. when you do those, you retain water for muscle repair; Remember that a pound of muscle takes up much less space than a pound of fat (due to density)... You are likely making non scale progress.. eventually the scale will catch up with you; just be persistent.
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    most likely, you are losing inches without losing weight. Some of the activities you are doing at the gym train muscles. when you do those, you retain water for muscle repair; Remember that a pound of muscle takes up much less space than a pound of fat (due to density)... You are likely making non scale progress.. eventually the scale will catch up with you; just be persistent.

I agree with this. Do you measure yourself? If not, def check it out... You could be making progress and not know it! If you do and there's no change, double check you're logging right. Tons of things can affect weight loss but fat loss should still be happening.
  • Dukesjourney
    Dukesjourney Posts: 146 Member
    Options

I agree with this. Do you measure yourself? If not, def check it out... You could be making progress and not know it! If you do and there's no change, double check you're logging right. Tons of things can affect weight loss but fat loss should still be happening.

No I do not measure. I keep saying I will but i've not measured since about 2011. So it won't be accurate during this plateau. Every1 says the scale will catch up but how long will that take? I know my eating is not as clean as it could be but I do not over eat...I probably under eat tbh and my biggest weakness is carbs. I just don't understand it.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    When you start a new exercise it can take 4-6 weeks for the weight loss to show.

It is important not to just use the scale as your only measurment.

Take measurments, pics and get BF% done to ensure you are seeing all the changes that are happening.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html

here is a link to a good article that explains the water weight...and what happens.