Walking/Jogging with Stroller

Options
:glasses: Ok so I am wondering how you all log when you walk but at a fast pace or jog with your stroller. I don't have a heart rate monitor, hope to get one soon but I don't think that the Pushing/Pulling Stroller is quite accurate when you burn more calories from walking a moderate pace "walking dog". I know that you burn at least 30% more calories pushing a stroller and I am at least going a "moderate, walking the dog" pace. I don't want to give myself extra but I definitely don't want to cut myself extremely short. Help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!! :smile: :flowerforyou: :smile:

Replies

• CFAITH_WARD
    CFAITH_WARD Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    It really depends on how hard you are working...I burn more calories while walking my dog then the website gives....BTW I bought my HRM are walmart for $27...while not the most awesome one it gets the job done just fine.
  • Jena_72
    Jena_72 Posts: 1,057
    Options
    I have wondered about this I always log our walks with moderate, walking dog. I didn't know they had a stroller option. I DO know that when you hit those hills, pushing a stroller, you have to dig deeper... so we must be burning more cals. My little one also like for me to run AKA Go Faster Mommy!! :tongue:
  • Jena_72
    Options
    It really depends on how hard you are working...I burn more calories while walking my dog then the website gives....BTW I bought my HRM are walmart for $27...while not the most awesome one it gets the job done just fine.
    $27 hmmm well that would be great for a starter hrm Thanks!!
  • MLgarcia3
    MLgarcia3 Posts: 503
    Options
    I don't have a heart rate monitor either, and I push around a stroller almost daily. I used to log it in as "walking leisurely pace" but I got a neat app on my phone that tells me how fast and how far I'm going and it was more like 3.5 or 3.7 mph! So until I get a HRM, I'll just keep logging it in as brisk pace...
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    I do have a HRM. But, I just looked at 3 days that I walked pushing the stroller:

Walking dog @ 3.0 underestimates it quite a bit...
    according to HRM, 51 min = 289 according to MFP "walking dog 3.0" = 226

Walking brisk pace @ 4.0 overestimates it:
    according to HRM, 51 min = 289 according to MFP "walking brisk 4.0" = 343
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    We push the stroller and walk the dog at the same time.. So I just use walking the dog. :)
  • Jena_72
    Options
    We push the stroller and walk the dog at the same time.. So I just use walking the dog. :)
    Us Too!! lol my 2 1/2 yr old holds the leash See I burn even more cals trying to avoid running over the chihuahua!! :laugh:
  • cjemtegaard
    Options

definitely true! guess i really need that HRM

that sounds perfect for now :tongue: Thanks!
  • cjemtegaard
    Options
    I do have a HRM. But, I just looked at 3 days that I walked pushing the stroller:

Walking dog @ 3.0 underestimates it quite a bit...
    according to HRM, 51 min = 289 according to MFP "walking dog 3.0" = 226

Walking brisk pace @ 4.0 overestimates it:
    according to HRM, 51 min = 289 according to MFP "walking brisk 4.0" = 343

see that is what i was figuring! thank you for that....so the question still remains...what do you log?! LOL... I knew it was more then just the walking the dog, because dang I am pushing that stroller plus my kiddo that's some resistance and weight, and still trucking at a pace of walking the dog plus some! :laugh: