help please. new drink idea needed for migraine issues.

talzybob
talzybob Posts: 80
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
I am well on my way to changing what i eat and drink and i need to find a replacement for caffeine. I used to drink about 12 large cups of very strong tea a day and now ive cut back to one cup a day and replaced the rest with either fruit juice or fruit and herbal tea's but my migraines are starting to kick in because of that change. ive been doing this about 6 weeks now and thought it would have settled down but it hasnt. has any body got any ideas because i feel much better for not drinking tea besides the headaches. i dont want to drink things like red bull because it does send me a bit loopy and hyper.
any ideas would be much appreciated thank you. :)

Replies

• muth3rluvx2
    muth3rluvx2 Posts: 1,156 Member
    At the 6 week mark, you should be well past any withdrawal symptoms. I would, at this point, question whether those headaches are related to the caffeine intake. What it may be is that you have some other cause of the headaches and the caffiene was helping alleviate the symptoms. Look at any migraine medication - it has caffeine and there's a reason for that. :-)

So, I would actually suggest you see your doctor on this one. I wouldn't worry or stress over it, but you want to see what other deficiencies could be causing the symptoms and a medical professional would be best suited for that. When a symptom like that lasts this long, there's something else causing it. It may even be as simple as stress - and a doctor would be able to help you identify that.

Btw - I too get migraines - mostly hormonally triggered and I am a huge caffiene addict. :-)
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    if your drinking that much caffine you need to wean yourself off. So you body doesn't realize its happening just add a couple decafs in there until there is none its easier on your system instead of cold turkey
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    At the 6 week mark, you should be well past any withdrawal symptoms. I would, at this point, question whether those headaches are related to the caffeine intake. What it may be is that you have some other cause of the headaches and the caffiene was helping alleviate the symptoms. Look at any migraine medication - it has caffeine and there's a reason for that. :-)

So, I would actually suggest you see your doctor on this one. I wouldn't worry or stress over it, but you want to see what other deficiencies could be causing the symptoms and a medical professional would be best suited for that. When a symptom like that lasts this long, there's something else causing it. It may even be as simple as stress - and a doctor would be able to help you identify that.

Btw - I too get migraines - mostly hormonally triggered and I am a huge caffiene addict. :-)

Ditto.

I'm a migraine sufferer and avoid caffeine, but still get em. Went through various things, had the MRI (yea nothing wrong in my head!)...and now I just take a cheap daily preventative. There are a lot of triggers for em and if you are still having them (especially regularly after stopping caffeine for 6weeks) then you should look into other causes with a neurologist.

Here are some common causes you can ponder:
    Rebound headaches - happen from frequent use of painkillers to treat the migraine/headache (like daily use of Advil)
    Red wine or alcohol
    wheat/gluten sensitivities (or other food issues)
    stress
    poor diet
    neck stress (chiropractic care can help)
    dehydration
    allergies
    hormonal birth control

But there are other causes too. See a doc, really. You never know what could be causing them. :)
  • Nina74
    Nina74 Posts: 470 Member
    While caffiene can help fight a headache or two, it simply leads to rebound headaches, which means you need more and more to get rid of the headache.

Green tea with a light amount of caffiene (Tulsi tea and Yogi are my favorite brands) are great and are what I used to get myself off of soda (I was hooked to the caffiene). Check what you are putting in the tea. If you are using sugar substitutes, you may want to go to honey or stevia. Splenda, aspartame and many other artificial sweeteners are known contributors to migraines.

In the meantime, try adding a magnesium supplement to your diet. More (serious) migraineurs do not get enough magnesium. It will not fix your problems overnight, but it will help in the long run.

Hope this helps.

PS: Throw away the Excedrin migraine with caffiene. It only hurts you in the end! Trust me! Been there, done that!
This discussion has been closed.