Has anyone broke their plateau by eating more??

Options
Today, i broke my plateau for 3 weeks, from increasing my calories from 1200 a day to about 1500! I am feeling so strange about this, because i felt guilt while eating the extra food yesterday.

Has anyone had this happen to them also?
Or have advise?

Thanks!
Amanda

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    One day of eating 300 calories more is not going to change anything one way or another. It is just coincidence. Is there a reason you were eating so little?
  • reddz12
    reddz12 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I recently have.. I was eating around 1200 a day, i uppsed it to 1600 and BOOM two days later I started dropping. Then scaled back.
  • jackielou867
    jackielou867 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I did last year. Plateaued for several weeks, took some time out and bingo, started to lose again :-)
  • brosis85
    brosis85 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Absolutely did!!
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    Bumping. I was eating around 1500 calories adn recently upped it to 1800 and focused on protein. Only on day 2 so I want to see what others results are
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    okay let me start off by saying 3 weeks is not a plateau...

As for eating more if you were at 1200 you could afford the extra calories...

So basically you weren't in a plateau and those extra calories did not break the aforementioned false plateau.

And if you are truely at a plateau eating more wont break it...a plateau is a nice way of saying you are eating at maintenance and eating more will make you gain weight...
  • fercar3000
    fercar3000 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I did from 1200 and less to 1500 -1700 and still losing
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    I did from 1200 and less to 1500 -1700 and still losing

as a male why would you eat the min requirement for a women???

I mean seriously...even 1500-1700 is too little for a man...I eat 1700 a day and lose 3/4lb a week..

You are losing muscle mass with such a low calorie intake...
  • KariOrtiz2014
    KariOrtiz2014 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Today, i broke my plateau for 3 weeks, from increasing my calories from 1200 a day to about 1500! I am feeling so strange about this, because i felt guilt while eating the extra food yesterday.

Has anyone had this happen to them also?
    Or have advise?

Thanks!
    Amanda

Lol this happens!!
  • dmenchac
    dmenchac Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Guys, if you weren't losing and/or maintaining at xxxx calories, then it is physically impossible to lose or maintain IF YOU INCREASE your calorie intake.

Here is what most likely happened: You hit your "plateau" because you consumed more calories than you thought you had.

I will reiterate this once again because we see so many threads on this. You CANNOT lose weight by adding more calories to an intake that wasn't losing to begin with.

Not to mention,, plateaus don't exist. They are a human made excuse for not eating at a deficit.
  • JenniferIsLosingIt
    JenniferIsLosingIt Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I dont know if any of you follow the Biggest Loser or not but Courtney Crozier from season 11 went three weeks at the same weight while working her but off and eating her alloted calories. Ultimately they had to increase her calorie intake a little and totally change her type of exercising in order for her to start losing again. You have to listen to your body, I am finding that out thehard way, and also you cant always compare yourself to others because everyBODY is different.
  • mebepiglet123
    mebepiglet123 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Guys, if you weren't losing and/or maintaining at xxxx calories, then it is physically impossible to lose or maintain IF YOU INCREASE your calorie intake.

Here is what most likely happened: You hit your "plateau" because you consumed more calories than you thought you had.

I will reiterate this once again because we see so many threads on this. You CANNOT lose weight by adding more calories to an intake that wasn't losing to begin with.

Not to mention,, plateaus don't exist. They are a human made excuse for not eating at a deficit.

Ahhh WRONG there is a whole community out there that is eating more to weigh less...
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Here is the thing...

Eating at a deep deficit for a long period of time while putting your body under strenuous activity causes the body to stress. When the body stresses, it releases cortisol. Cortisol is a hormone that helps the body perform more effeciently under stress, and therefore, use less energy to perform the same functions. So, while it seemed like a plateau, the reality is that you simply induced a cortisol-release, and as a result, you were not burning as many calories as you thought you were. By eating more, you signalled to your brain that the time of "famine" has ended, and therefore, less cortisol was released allowing your body to use the energy at its normal rate of consumption.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    I dont know if any of you follow the Biggest Loser or not but Courtney Crozier from season 11 went three weeks at the same weight while working her but off and eating her alloted calories. Ultimately they had to increase her calorie intake a little and totally change her type of exercising in order for her to start losing again. You have to listen to your body, I am finding that out thehard way, and also you cant always compare yourself to others because everyBODY is different.

Yes and the biggest loser is the epitome of "what to do to lose weight"..../sarcasm

I have gone 4 weeks without weight loss...done nothing different and then bam weight loss...

True plateaus are where you are eating at maintenance...nothing more and 3 weeks is not a plateau...
  • HaibaneReki
    HaibaneReki Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Lost 12kg on 1760, upped to 1980, still losing. My maintenance is somewhere around 2100+ so why wouldn't I :tongue:
  • dmenchac
    Options

Ahhh WRONG there is a whole community out there that is eating more to weigh less...

Please visit this group and read about what they are actually doing. I think I would know because I am a member of this group. They eat more (while still eating at a deficit) but lose at a slower pace in hopes of a more successful weight loss (keeping it off longer). It is a great method and does work. The more food you eat (while still at a deficit) increases your chance at long term weight loss. Educate yourself.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

Ahhh no...that community was not at a true plateau, and are eating in a deficet if they are losing weight...

Most of the time if they say they are eating xxxx# of calories they are under estimating and then "up" their calories and get really careful and are actually eating closer to what they are recording then they were before...

I could eat 1200 a day and lose weight...but I eat 1700 and lose weight..that doesn't mean I can eat 2300 and lose weight...
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    Lost 12kg on 1760, upped to 1980, still losing. My maintenance is somewhere around 2100+ so why wouldn't I :tongue:

exactly..the goal should be to eat as many calories as you can and still maintain the deficet required to lose the weight you want...

And i suspect your maintenance is higher than 2100..mine is 2200
  • dmenchac
    Options

Ahhh no...that community was not at a true plateau, and are eating in a deficet if they are losing weight...

Most of the time if they say they are eating xxxx# of calories they are under estimating and then "up" their calories and get really careful and are actually eating closer to what they are recording then they were before...

I could eat 1200 a day and lose weight...but I eat 1700 and lose weight..that doesn't mean I can eat 2300 and lose weight...

Are people really this dense? (not you ofc) They think since they are not losing on 1400 calories, ADDING another 300 will suddenly make them lose?

Its common sense/