KFC’s Double Down Is Coming to Canada :(

Options
2»

Replies

• KarenBorter
    KarenBorter Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Don't EVEN get me started on the many reasons I think KFC should be shut down for introducing this sandwich.
  • KarenBorter
    KarenBorter Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    So tell me, what's wrong with grilled chicken which is the main ingredient in the grilled version?

Why are you not outraged at the Big Mac or Whopper? They more calories, more sat fat, and less protein.

The Grilled Chicken Breast at KFC is 210 calories with 460mgs of sodium that isn't healthy IMO. And, in fact, their .pdf is reporting different then the "more info" on the website (website = 190 calories with 550mgs of sodium) http://www.kfc.com/nutrition/grilled.asp to check and here is the.pdf link http://www.kfc.com/nutrition/pdf/kfc_nutrition.pdf

The double down GRILLED IS AS FOLLOWS (GAG): 480 calories with 1,760mg of Sodium ...

Now MOST people aren't going to choose the grilled option, especially the "target market" they want FRIED chicken. And that is ONLY the sandwich ... let's add potatoes to that another 120 calores with 530mg of sodium. That's almost your daily amount of sodium on ONE MEAL ...

I know that the whopper and the big macs are bad ... they are horrible on calories but they are also a "tad" better on sodium. *shudder* at the thought of that sandwich ...
  • Leah2110
    Options
    This was an article online in the Toronto Star - this is sad and distrubing. The article says it's for a "limited time only" but if it's successful, you know it'll be on the menu permanently! Ugh!

This sentence is REALLY disturbing: "Food-industry consultant Darren Tristano said the sandwich targets working-class consumers with less income who want to get more bang for their buck."

For a limited time, Canada can taste the fast-food fried phenomenon selling fast south of the border.

KFC’s Double Down, a bacon and cheese sandwich that uses chicken breasts instead of buns, is making its foray into the Canadian market Oct. 18.

It will be available nationally until Nov. 14.

The “most outrageous sandwich experience in the country” is KFC’s most successful sandwich in the company’s history – selling more than 10 million in less than a month in the U.S., according to the KFC announcement issued Thursday.

Each fried sandwich lards on 540 calories (or 460 for the grilled version), 30 g of fat, and 1,740 mg of sodium. Health Canada places an adult’s recommended daily salt intake at around 1,500 mg.

KFC Canada originally refused to sell the sandwich until it was first tested in the U.S. market. It started selling there last year.

For months before the sandwich’s debut, speculation went wild online about whether it would come to Canada or if it was a hoax.

Food-industry consultant Darren Tristano said the sandwich targets working-class consumers with less income who want to get more bang for their buck.

“It’s about quantity. Whether we like it or not, this product will appeal to a significant portion of the consumer base,” he told salon.com in April.

“It appears to be achieving the goal, which is to get people interested. Freak shows are disgusting, but everyone seems to want to go to them anyway. I’m probably going to try one.”

A new Ipsos Reid poll, conducted on behalf of KFC Canada, found that Canadians think people will want to eat the sandwich, but not as many want to attempt the feat themselves.

Of the approximately 1,100 adults polled, 90 per cent said they think other Canadians will give it a try. Only 45 per cent said they would take down the Double Down.
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    It's all about moderation. Think about it. The grilled version is 480 cals, and has 60g of protein. Buy one, and split it with your significant other (or saved it for next days lunch). You're getting 240 cals, 30g of protein, & a respectable 4g of sat fat. Get a side salad with it and you have a respectable meal IMO.

Is that a voice of reason, I see? Gasp-- don't do that to me!! You almost gave me heart failure.

My daughter and I split one, and it was gross. American cheese and bacon between chicken breasts? Blech.

Personally, I'm with you-- moderation. Don't want it? Don't order it. Shut KFC down because you don't approve of their food?
    I thought this was America. Guess I was wrong.
  • Marla64
    Options

I guess nobody else is as outraged as I am that they are specifically targeting low income families with this sandwich.
    BTW, you can be outraged all you want, it's not going to change anything. Until the goverment taxes the crap out of these unhealthy foods (like beer & cigs in Canada), and uses that tax to subsidize the healthy alternatives, it's never going to end.

Seriously-- I went into a local convenience store....WaWa......to get lunch the other day. I could get a half a sub for $2.50, loaded with meat, cheese, on nice, cushy-wushy bread...... but if I wanted a healthy salad, I had to pay $5.

Stinks-- but it is what it is.

Regarding the double down-- holy Hannah-- it was $5 for that, too-- how is that being marketed to low-income families when dollar menus abound?
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    So tell me, what's wrong with grilled chicken which is the main ingredient in the grilled version?

Why are you not outraged at the Big Mac or Whopper? They more calories, more sat fat, and less protein.

The Grilled Chicken Breast at KFC is 210 calories with 460mgs of sodium that isn't healthy IMO. And, in fact, their .pdf is reporting different then the "more info" on the website (website = 190 calories with 550mgs of sodium) http://www.kfc.com/nutrition/grilled.asp to check and here is the.pdf link http://www.kfc.com/nutrition/pdf/kfc_nutrition.pdf

The double down GRILLED IS AS FOLLOWS (GAG): 480 calories with 1,760mg of Sodium ...

Now MOST people aren't going to choose the grilled option, especially the "target market" they want FRIED chicken. And that is ONLY the sandwich ... let's add potatoes to that another 120 calores with 530mg of sodium. That's almost your daily amount of sodium on ONE MEAL ...

I know that the whopper and the big macs are bad ... they are horrible on calories but they are also a "tad" better on sodium. *shudder* at the thought of that sandwich ...
    Concern with sodium intake is overrated IMO. I sweat more sodium than I take in on a 1 hour run, my BP is 110/60 & resting HR of 48. Sodium is not a concern of mine, and according this this site, I'm taking in an average of 3800mg/day eating healthy.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    I think it’s just gross they are passing this off as a sandwich – its pieces of meat eaten with your hands like a Neanderthal. If this is becoming socially acceptable then fine, I’m going to start chowing down on a chicken breast at work and look just as stilly (but so much more health conscious eating 1/10th the calories).
  • Marla64
    Options
    – its pieces of meat eaten with your hands like a Neanderthal. If this is becoming socially acceptable then fine, ).

Ummm-- so is a chicken leg. You've never eaten a drumstick?
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I like to make cave-man noises eating meat like that. Progresso Traditional chicken and Wild Rice soup has 650mg of sodium per serving (2 servings per can).

Personally I'd rather have all the protein.