Recomping, strength training advice

Options
Hello,
I just joined MFP about 2 months ago with the goal of losing 5 pounds. After reading some of the posts here, I think maybe what I really need to do is recomp/maintain. I'm 5' 4" and right now about 117 pounds. I have a VERY small frame and really not much muscle at all, so even at this weight I have a few fat rolls I'd like to see gone and a distinct belly roll. I've also just learned that I have thinning bones, so strength training will help that too. My problem is, I am going to be facing wrist surgery shortly that will make strength training (for the upper body, at least) difficult for a few months. I won't be able to flex my wrist much at all or put weight on it. Should I wait to start until after I'm healed (it could be fall), or does anyone know of upper body exercises that can be done without wrists? Also, when recomping, do you eat maintenance calories or more? I'm not in a hurry.

Replies

• chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    I think you should start exercising for lower body recomp. I enjoy focusing on glutes because I've seen really fun changes. (google the best glute exercises)

Setting your cals to maintenance is fine. Your weight sounds perfect.

My wrists are fragile right now, too, but I can do light hammer curls and other dumbbell workouts with light weights. Maybe discuss with a PT what exercises are safe for you to do.
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Recomp would be mantenence calories. Make sure you get the recommended protein. As far as upper body workout without wrists, I would look at some of the machines at your gym. I can think of a couple that wouldn't involve your wrist. Ipersonaly wouldn't wait though. The lower body muscles are some of the biggest.
  • Alassonde
    Alassonde Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I will start with lower body right away, and look for upper body things that won't bother my wrist. Protein shouldn't be a problem...my husband (the cook in our family) is a real meat lover.
  • Sarahliquid
    Sarahliquid Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    You can do good core work too that will help with the abs.