Allergies and exercise

Options
Hi I have been trying to up my intensity on exercise with some classes but notice that my allergies start to inhibit me and make me feel nauseous . I'm on allergy meds , it's just that time of year. Anyone experience this or have advice ? I get about 1/3 way in and feel like I have to puke /gag.

Thanks

Replies

• thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I guess my first answer would be to exercise indoors in a well ventilated area, I guess. Other than that, try to just deal? My fiancé just started a nasal allergy medicine that's done wonders for him. maybe you could look into some other options?

Good luck, we're halfway through the allergy season already :)
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Help yourself to better living through science. Take the allergy meds the doctor gave you. No meds or your meds don't cut the mustard? Tell your doctor about it, that's what they're there for.
  • badbradley
    badbradley Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem when taking the popular prescription pills for my seasonal allergies. My allergist changed me to an OTC nasal spray and eye drops and the nausea problem went away. Maybe your Dr. can suggest something other than your current meds.
  • Ckelley1311
    Options
    badbradley- your OTC nasal spray didn't make things worse for you? I was told the nasal sprays "loosen" up everything which would not help me?

I was going to try nasacort.
  • bpayne78
    bpayne78 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I have SEVERE seasonal allergies, both indoor and outdoor. I have been on allergy shots since 2007 and they made a WORLD of difference. I decided back in Nov to switch doctors as my old one was too far to drive every week. I stopped my shots then but I didn't switch right away. Now I am miserable. My new doctor has me on eye drops, nasal spray, special inhaler twice a day and a rescue inhaler when I need it. I now have asthma too. My suggestion is don't do anything outside and if your meds are making you sick when you workout, talk to your doctor. My nasal spray works much better than other OTC meds. Benadryl works for me but can make me VERY drowsy. There are other control options out there. Talk to your doc and good luck on your workouts! It's more than I can do at the moment.
  • badbradley
    badbradley Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Nasacort is what I use and have no problems at all with it. I have bad sinus stuffiness as well as the annoying drip and the nasacort cleared that right up. My eyes also burn like crazy and I use drops called alaway. They work like a charm as well.