Serious 1,200 calorie question

Options
After reading all the negative commentary about the "1,200 calorie" issue I decided that perhaps I better check into it further and went to one of the recommended BMR calculator sites (http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/). I'm always willing to admit if I've made a wrong turn.

I logged the info it asks for to calculate my TDEE: gender/age/height/weight/exercise level and clicked on Calculate.
The results? BMR = 1,235 / TDEE = 1481

In step 2 I went with the suggested 15% fat loss - the lowest option.
Results: Fat Loss = 1,259 calories per day Maintain = 1,481 per day

In step 3 I went with the suggested IIFYM nutrition plan, chose 1.25 grams of protein per lb of body weight and .40 grams of fat. I clicked on Calculate.

My results are:

CARBS PROTEIN FAT FIBER CALORIES
GRAMS per day 5.2 180 57.6 29 - 36 1259
GRAMS per meal 1.7 60 19.2 10 - 12 420

So, this tells me to add a whopping 59 extra calories to my 1,200? Am I understanding this correctly?

I'm honestly curious as many of the members who are dead set against anyone eating 1,200 daily calories seem truly concerned.

I'm older - I'm female - I have a desk job - my only exercise is trotting around the office and some very non-taxing trail walking now and then.

TIA for any helpful and non-sarcastic responses. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• StraubreyR
    StraubreyR Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I'm old, and short, and get similar results. But I can't possibly manage to eat that few calories long term. I exercise regularly, and found after a while that I can bump it up to 1400 (not counting exercise) and still lose 1 pound per week. These things are all estimates, and it takes some experimentation to figure out exactly what amount of calories will allow you to eat the most you can while still losing. I don't see anything wrong with 1200 if you can manage that, but my worry was as I got closer to goal, I wouldn't be able to adjust and drop down at all to lose the last 10.
  • easjer
    easjer Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    For height and weight, some people do need lower calorie intake and to maintain a reasonable deficit, have to go down that low.

MOST people don't though. They are under-calculating movement and TDEE or they are being overly aggressive with their deficits. It's not reasonable for someone looking to lose 10 lbs to try to lose 2 lbs per week. That deficit will be too aggressive, may impact what is lost (lean body mass vs. fat) and will be harder to make the transition to maintenance. A lower deficit (say for .5 to 1 lb per week, which is a daily deficit of 250-500 calories from TDEE) is easier to maintain, will feel better, will allow easier transition to maintenance, and will be more likely to be fat than lean body mass.

1250 may be right for you. If so that's fine. For the average MFP user, they come in and want to lose the maximum amount possible (which they've vaguely heard somewhere is safe) and as quickly as possible and aren't looking ahead to the long term or thinking about how that will impact their lives or how sustainable and feasible it is.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    The truth is people are overzealous when it comes to attacking 1200 calorie diets and you shouldn't let those people convince you that 1200 calories is always wrong for everyone. It's simply not. It's not hard to find posts here where people say they're eating 1200 calories and haven't lost weight for months... yet someone will swoop in and suggest they eat more because 1200 calories is too little, as if eating more calories will cause their body to rely more on their fat stores for energy.

1200 calories is "wrong" when your TDEE is close to 2200 calories, you only have 10 vanity pounds you want to lose, and you're choosing 1200 calories only because you're impatient and want to lose 2 pounds/week. If your TDEE is estimated at 1481, 1200 net calories is likely fine and with exercise your actual caloric intake can be quite a bit higher than 1200.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    TDEE-15% is too high for a 7lb weight loss goal...it should be 5-10%...

As for the 1200 it is the minimum recommend amount for an adult woman to get the nutrients and vitamins required...

Why are most of us against it because for most it is not necessary...it is just an arbitrary number given to them by MFP so that they can attempt to lose 2lbs a week...where most should be aiming for 1/2 - 1lb a week as they don't have over 100lbs to lose.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    After reading all the negative commentary about the "1,200 calorie" issue I decided that perhaps I better check into it further and went to one of the recommended BMR calculator sites (http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/). I'm always willing to admit if I've made a wrong turn.

I logged the info it asks for to calculate my TDEE: gender/age/height/weight/exercise level and clicked on Calculate.
    The results? BMR = 1,235 / TDEE = 1481

In step 2 I went with the suggested 15% fat loss - the lowest option.
    Results: Fat Loss = 1,259 calories per day Maintain = 1,481 per day

In step 3 I went with the suggested IIFYM nutrition plan, chose 1.25 grams of protein per lb of body weight and .40 grams of fat. I clicked on Calculate.

My results are:

CARBS PROTEIN FAT FIBER CALORIES
    GRAMS per day 5.2 180 57.6 29 - 36 1259
    GRAMS per meal 1.7 60 19.2 10 - 12 420

So, this tells me to add a whopping 59 extra calories to my 1,200? Am I understanding this correctly?

I'm honestly curious as many of the members who are dead set against anyone eating 1,200 daily calories seem truly concerned.

I'm older - I'm female - I have a desk job - my only exercise is trotting around the office and some very non-taxing trail walking now and then.

TIA for any helpful and non-sarcastic responses. :flowerforyou:

I'm older too....my TDEE is not great either. But, that said many younger people have much higher BMR's. So my advice is always look at your numbers.....don't assume.

You & I both looked at our numbers. Many people won't bother.

Many women are "assigned" 1200, not because that's what they should eat.....but because MFP bottoms out at 1200 when they choose really aggressive weekly goals.
  • WW_Jude_V2
    WW_Jude_V2 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I do appreciate the kindness in these responses. Exactly what I was hoping for.

My small amount of weight to lose isn't much compared with where I started in 2008. I have kept over 60 pounds off since that time. It was a battle for me, as it is for most people. I allow myself a 2-3 pound 'easement' around my goal weight but this time, due to newly diagnosed health stuff, those pounds kind of blossomed.....and here I am on MFP.

I knew how to eat just fine before the diagnosis but suddenly an entire range of food is no longer available to me. I'm still reeling a little and venturing into the forums only to face some rather strident opinions was a little more than I was prepared for.

I set my weight loss to .5 - 1 lb a week....nothing ridiculous or unattainable.