Coworkers not sure if you've lost weight yet....

Options
2»

Replies

• waramara
    waramara Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've heard the rule of thumb is usually 4 weeks to see a change in yourself, 8 weeks for friends and family to notice, and 12 weeks for the rest of the world. Maybe that's part of it, people are really just starting to notice there is a difference.
  • heatheremde
    heatheremde Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hahah great responses, you guys make my day.

I am lucky to work in a large resort where it is still very friendly. I think that when I do decide to buy smaller clothes it might show more. Right now I get dressed and I am trying to pick which clothes look the least baggy; baggy slacks are comfy but not very flattering!

I love hearing about others experiences, compliments, NSVs! I did not realize that this journey would be as fun during as it will be when I get closer to goal.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people really don't want to get specific because weight is such a touchy subject. Especially in the workplace. They feel it is more 'pc' probably, to say "you're looking great!" than "Wow, so how much weight have you lost?"

This ^

And there are a lot of people who avoid saying things for fear they'll be taken wrong. There are literally dozens of thread here about people complaining about the "backhanded compliments" from people about their weight loss. Usually it's not meant to be negative, but people are imperfect and don't always say the perfect thing. So a lot have learned to not say anything about weight at all :ohwell:

Congrats on your loss and keep it up :smile:
  • Apple31415
    Apple31415 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I'm down about 70 lbs. overall but still wearing mostly the same clothes. My dress shirts particularly hide the weightloss. i have like 3 suits at the tailor right now and I tell myself that a shopping spree is coming - I can't wait for the "reveal" Don't get a lot of comments at work, but folks at the gym are hyping me up. It feels great to be recognized for victories earned in private.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    It has come in waves. First wave at -30, second wave of other people at -50. People that know me and had not seen me since I lost over 50 are shocked.
  • SeattleJill
    SeattleJill Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I never comment on weight loss unless someone specifically mentions what they have been doing for it. because I don't want to be that *kitten* that tells someone they are looking good and losing weight only to have them tell me they have been really sick. The same reason why i don't mention pregnancy until an official announcement has been made.