Is too much just that? Or never enough??

Options
reddz12
reddz12 Posts: 350 Member
So i've been doing alot of reading because since starting with mfp I've been drinking A LOT more water than I used to. But some days I feel like I'm drinking a ridiculous amount! So I since I've been trying to research "how much is too much water" because apparently it can be very harmful. How do you know when you've reached "too much". I'm more concerned about this now because if I am consuming it at this rate with the temperature is in the 30's how will I be when we're in the 90's? Help!

Replies

• Ysmir
    Ysmir Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    I know right? I have a 24 ounce water bottle, and I fill the thing up twice before 9 am. By dinner time I've already done 96 ounces of water on a slow day. I'm pretty sure that as long as the intake of water is spread throughout the day, there is little to worry over.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Is your urine clear? You're getting enough.
  • lizpitts
    lizpitts Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I usually drink about 100 oz of water a day. More in the summer. When I lived in the desert I drank around 150 oz a day. I think you have to drink a LOT of water before it's a problem. How much are you drinking? And are you drinking because you are thirsty? Extreme thirst is one symptom of diabetes.
  • reddz12
    reddz12 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    1.) my urine is light but no, not clear (i've read that that is where you might be getting to overload)
    2.) its not extreme thrist, I usually drink 16 oz with breakfast (I am thirsty when I wake up, who isnt) one at the gym 3 or 4 throughout the work day and maybe one at night. Now there are days where its way more and others where its way less (if i'm busy and preoccupied i might only drink 3 total) . I was just wondering if there is a "set amount"
  • tycho_mx
    tycho_mx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    So i've been doing alot of reading because since starting with mfp I've been drinking A LOT more water than I used to. But some days I feel like I'm drinking a ridiculous amount! So I since I've been trying to research "how much is too much water" because apparently it can be very harmful. How do you know when you've reached "too much". I'm more concerned about this now because if I am consuming it at this rate with the temperature is in the 30's how will I be when we're in the 90's? Help!

"It can be very harmful".

Nah, not really. At least not in chronic terms, only acute-emergency.

Biggest issue is hyponatremia - basically you drink so much water it dilutes the electrolytes in your body so much that you're no longer functional. Sure, it's a risk - if you pound gallons of water running a marathon or whatever. If you can type and see your screen clearly, there is very little long-term health effect risk from drinking large amounts of water.
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    8 glasses of water is 2lt. According to your weight, that's average. If, you drink caffeine, you need more. I had a health examination last week, where they measure your bodyfat, bonemass etc. I wasn't hydrated enough, and was told to drink more. If, I did I'll be house bound, as I have to rely on public toilets when out and about. Not much fun. I'm open to suggestions, though.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Is your urine clear? You're getting enough.

This ^^ Although it doesn't even have to be clear, light yellow to clear is fine. And if you are taking a B vitamin supplement, bright yellow is fine, too.

If you are drinking so much that you feel like you are forcing yourself to drink it, then it's probably more than you need.
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I actually drink more water in the winter. It's dryer in the winter, and more humid in the summer. I have 3 cups of water when I wake up to get things moving.

I have another 2-3 cups before lunch, and a few throughout the afternoon depending on what type of a work out I do. I probably drink between 6 - 15 cups of water depending on the time of year and physical activity done that day.

Regardless, I go by the way my pee looks. If it's dark yellow I drink more, if it's light yellow I don't drink more.
  • RunBakeLove
    RunBakeLove Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    1.) my urine is light but no, not clear (i've read that that is where you might be getting to overload)
    2.) its not extreme thrist, I usually drink 16 oz with breakfast (I am thirsty when I wake up, who isnt) one at the gym 3 or 4 throughout the work day and maybe one at night. Now there are days where its way more and others where its way less (if i'm busy and preoccupied i might only drink 3 total) . I was just wondering if there is a "set amount"

1 - I've heard that too. Should be very pale yellow but not completely clear

I think it depends heavily on the climate. I drink 70ish ounces a day living in Georgia but just last week I visited family in Phoenix and I was drinking 8-10 bottles (16oz) a day! A DAY!! I thought there was something wrong with me until I got home and my thirst went back to normal.
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I don't measure my intake... but if I drink too much water, I get serious headaches.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    The only other guideline besides urine color that I've heard is going by your weight. If you drink half of your weight in pounds, in ounces, you should be right on target.

So for a 200 pound person, that's 100 oz or 12.5 cups
    Or for a 150 pound person, that's 75 oz or 9 cups

I'm pretty sure this is just for basic hydration so if you're active, add in another 2-4 cups of water per day.

I think the water intoxication problem is more for people who chug a great deal of water at a time or those who are doing endurance sports training (like marathon runners) and may not be getting the right balance of electrolytes.