WHY does this site suggest that you eat your exercise calori

Options
2»

Replies

• ShaneT99
    ShaneT99 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Isn't that kind of defeating the purpose of the exercise? I am not exercising so I can eat more, I am trying to burn off what I have already eaten. Someone enlighten me on this please.

You're doing it wrong. :tongue:

It tells you to eat the exercise calories so that you can maintain the correct calorie deficit to meet the goal you told it you wanted to meet. Think of your food as fuel. Not as something you need to burn off. You don't want too much fuel, but you don't want too little either. MFP is trying to make sure you have just the right amount.
  • JustAnotherBob
    Options
    Don't get lost in the expression "starvation mode"

We hear starvation mode and immediately envision pictures of emaciated people. To me, "starvation mode" begins with my body subtly storing fat as an act of self preservation. Loss of body weight slows as my metabolism slows down. Though I'll probably continue to lose weight, its a slow process. The charts show that I need 1900+ calories a day, with my lifestyle, to lose a pound a week. For a long time I believed that less would equal more so I cut back to about 1200 calories a day. The result was virually no weight loss for about a month. I went back to a minimum of 1900 calories and the weight loss returned to about a pound a week. With more exercise I burn more calories therefore my body needs to consume more. Now I try to eat at least 50% my exercise calories but don't worry if that number occassionaly approaches 100%. I also try to eat something (even a small snack) several times a day to keep the fires stoked and burning.

Just my opinion