Do you count calories or ...?

Options
2»

Replies

• scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I do both. I have a calorie goal and a macro goal. I try to get as close to my macro goal as I can within the calories allowed for the day.

I aim for 40% protein, 30% carbs and 30% fat. What I actually get might vary from day to day, but over the course of the week I manage to hit that within a percentage or two.

The calorie goal gives me the deficit to lose pounds. The macro goals help me to keep muscle as I lose (so does the weight lifting) and keep my blood sugar under control (I'm a type 2 diabetic).
  • Cheechos
    Cheechos Posts: 293
    Options
    Both:

Protein minimum
    Fat minimum

The rest, to my calorie limit, can be carbs or more protein/fat.

This. I plan my intake one day in advance, so I try to shift as much of my planned calories towards reaching my protein and fat goals as I can (I also like to focus a bit on fiber). Once I get there, I use any calories leftover for whatever I want.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I do a little of both, but admittedly, I tend to pay a slight bit more attention tot he macro's.

A bariatric dietician once told me to focus on the protein and the fats/carbs will take care of themselves. I've found that to be pretty accurate. Plus, going a bit over on protein is going to be better for you than going a bit over on carbs/fats. The protein will stick with you longer and should make you less hungry later on.
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    I do both, but calories are more important to me. If I have a day where I didn't reach the right macros, but I'm still within my calorie limit, I don't sweat it. If you feel like counting macros would leave you to obsessed, then don't try to. Just aim to balance each meal with a bit of carbs, fats, and protein.
  • kabamomma
    Options
    I'm a newbie... in fact, this is the first time I've responded to a topic. I tend to stick to myself, mostly.
    Anyway, I pretty much only count calories, although I try to pay close attention to sodium and sugar (mostly because I have a strong family history with diabetes and hypertension, so I'm sensitive to these values.) and a little extra to protein because I'm a twice-weekly plasma donor, and protein is a very big part of this process.
  • holly55555
    holly55555 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I HAVE to count. If I don't, I grossly underestimate portions and especially snacking. Counting is the only way I can lose weight.
  • Daman431
    Daman431 Posts: 2
    Options
    I never count calories. I follow the raw till 4 diet. I eat raw fruits and vegetables until 4 pm, after which I feel okay to indulge in cooked foods, and lately (unfortunately) even unhealthy ones!

But I've lost 10 lbs so far doing the above, and am hoping to continue making progress.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I do a bit of both? I count calories, but I make sure to always hit my protein goal. The rest falls into place.

^ This
  • daw0518
    daw0518 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    For now, I focus on counting calories. I'm aware of missing my macro marks [I almost never reach my protein goal] and would like to work on changing that soon. But starting somewhere & sticking with it was my original goal, & I have succeeded.