PMS weight gain

Options
2»

Replies

• gwacieee_
    gwacieee_ Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    PMS weight gain (and other related symptoms like breast tenderness etc) starts 2 weeks before the period! It lasts until you have your period!
    I've been really good calorie-wise and exercise-wise but the scale hasn't been budging, then this morning I tried on my "goal to fit into skinny pants" and it got snug compared to the other day. I was aghast! Then I checked my period diary and true enough it was PMS! Ugh! I won't bother to check the scale until this is over. I'll just rely on my tape measure or skinny pants' fit.
    I plan to do damage control measures: have Swedish/Shiatsu body massages, cut back on salty food, limit simple carbs, eat more fruits, drink more water, stay away from soda and continue working out!
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Different people are different.

Track your weight for a while and you should see the natural monthly cycle. For me I basically work at weight loss all month but see all the results in one week. So I usually register one big drop (big by my standards) in a month, two weeks where I stay about the same and one week where I go up. Of course I could just weigh once a month but I like seeing the trends.

The week before my period I retain water like crazy. I don't really care about the weight (since I know what it is) but the downside is that I'm often constipated that week... despite eating ridiculous amounts of fibre. Once my period starts... woosh... all the cells seem to give up their water and I actually feel like a balloon deflating.
  • Willowana
    Willowana Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    My weight fluctuates daily. I'm accustomed to seeing the up/down rollercoaster. PMS and TOM don't seem to have much bearing. I still lose even when I'm full swing..... unless of course I'm hitting the chocolate like a crack fiend. I do tend to get hungrier and crave more during that time, which can affect my calorie goals if I'm not careful. But as long as I keep myself in check, it's not normally a problem.
  • Mmmmona
    Mmmmona Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I find I am the opposite. Last week I got my rag on Tuesday and by Sunday I had lost five pounds. I don't know if it is from the nausea (eating less) or the extra exercise (helps cramps) but I always see a huge loss during that time.
  • JBsCrazyGirl
    JBsCrazyGirl Posts: 337
    Options
    I be perfectly honest, as SOON as I feel those lovely cramps coming by...
    I hide the scale, drink more water, and concentrate on NOT eating whatever food I can think of that will make me feel better :laugh:

I do want to see how much "water weight" or "PMS weight gain" is on or off me. Already go through enough during that time with other stupid emotions.

Just make your body feel good in healthy ways during that time :flowerforyou:
  • gwacieee_
    gwacieee_ Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    So nice to know about your monthly weight loss cycle! I think I'm similar. I work it consistently more or less then see my weight stay the same or fluctuate for a week it two then lose. I couldn't pinpoint what I did specifically (was it the Tae Bo? Was it the Hiphop Abs?) so I guess it's just how my weigh loss cycle works.

Re the weight gain I'm glad it doesn't bother you, it irks me though because my clothes get tight :( and yes I also get constipated! I try drinking lots of water and eat more fruits to alleviate this. Psyllium fiber doesn't work for me too, I'm a person who easily gets dehydrated and taking this makes me more constipated! It somehow becomes a hard mass in my tummy since I easily lack water. Fruits help me in this regard :)

I can relate with the deflating balloon feeling! Such a relief! :)
    Different people are different.

Track your weight for a while and you should see the natural monthly cycle. For me I basically work at weight loss all month but see all the results in one week. So I usually register one big drop (big by my standards) in a month, two weeks where I stay about the same and one week where I go up. Of course I could just weigh once a month but I like seeing the trends.

The week before my period I retain water like crazy. I don't really care about the weight (since I know what it is) but the downside is that I'm often constipated that week... despite eating ridiculous amounts of fibre. Once my period starts... woosh... all the cells seem to give up their water and I actually feel like a balloon deflating.