Which "diet" works????

Options

Replies

• smp0723
    smp0723 Posts: 88
    Options
    I'm partial to the vodka and twinkie diet, myself.

I can live with the vodka diet....not so much the twinkie....but throw in a brownie or some ice cream...I'm all over it.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • MissLeelooDallas
    MissLeelooDallas Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I'm partial to the vodka and twinkie diet, myself.

I can live with the vodka diet....not so much the twinkie....but throw in a brownie or some ice cream...I'm all over it.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

How about the gin and cheetos diet?
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I'd say something but I'd just be repeating everyone else. Working out will allow you to eat MORE if that helps!
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    As everyone said above, except written different, eat less calories than it takes to fuel your body in a 24 hour period. This results in weight loss.

I wish I could make my wife see this. She wants to lose weight but she wants some miracle diet where she can eat without measuring. I watch her every day. She even inputs into the calculator but she doesn't measure anything. She guesses about what is on her plate serving wise. Then she gets upset because she is not losing any weight.

For some reason some diets, like South beach and Atkins tend to spread this rumor that you can lose weight without counting calories.

Given your incredible weight loss I am really surprised that she doesn't just follow your lead!!
  • BekaBooluvsu
    BekaBooluvsu Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Diet (nutrition)
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A selection of foods consumed by humans. However, the human diet can vary widely.

In nutrition, diet is the sum of food consumed by a person or other organism.[1] Dietary habits are the habitual decisions an individual or culture makes when choosing what foods to eat. The word diet often implies the use of specific intake of nutrition for health or weight-management reasons (with the two often being related). Although humans are omnivores, each culture and each person holds some food preferences or some food taboos. This may be due to personal tastes or ethical reasons. Individual dietary choices may be more or less healthy.
  • becksxxx70
    becksxxx70 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    So....I guess there is no "diet" that works for me. My problem isn't really food - it's willpower and ambition.
    Exactly......the only diet that works is the way you decide to eat when you have decided you really want to change.
    And I think moderation is key........
  • smp0723
    smp0723 Posts: 88
    Options
    I'm just curious, how many calories are people on here averaging per day and how long are you working out each day?

I average 1750 calories a day and work with a personal trainer so I do a 30 min workout that includes cardio, weights, planks. I am supposed to do 3x a week but usually get 1 or 2 in plus a walk or two. Now that we are hopefully done with snow I hope to step it up a bit & stop using the weather as an excuse not to get out and get moving.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I'm just curious, how many calories are people on here averaging per day and how long are you working out each day?
    enough for them.

what everyone else does is specifically tailored to them... and what they do may not work for you.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    :happy:

Thanks everyone! I know you are all right! I just have to keep reminding myself there is no magic "diet".

I honestly think my caloric intake was less before I started trying to find the miracle eating plan. Time to get my food scale out and track everything.

LOVE. THIS. BOARD.

I think I like you. It seems like many (most?) posters that got these responses would have started a "mean people thread." Not you.

For that, I offer up some fried ice cream. :glasses:
  • Nice2BFitAgain
    Nice2BFitAgain Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

How about the gin and cheetos diet?
    [/quote]

Isn't that the Britney Spears diet - Starbucks of course...
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I eat generally 1400-1600 calories total. A few time a month I'll go higher, 1800-2200. Not a cheat day, but here & there I aim to eat in a maintenance range and will eat foods that I enjoy occasionally. But don't fit into a reduced calorie range too easily. Like chicken wings. A dinner w/ chicken wings can easily be 1000 calories and that doesn't work well on 1400-1600.

I don't stress about 'working out'. I do what I need to meet my step count. That might mean going for a 3 mile walk, or doing 20 minutes on the treadmill, or running in place for 30 minutes on a mini-trampoline while watching tv with the family. Depends on the day and how much I've been on my feet. I tend to do something along those lines every day though, which also means I get in some cardio each day. In addition, I try to remember to do squats, crunches, etc. a few times a week. Strength training is my weakest area.
  • chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    You are making this way too complicated!!! It really is simple.....moderation, burn more calories than you take in.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    So lets see, I've tried Weight Watchers, Atkins, Whole 30, Paleo, nutritionists balanced meal plan, Gluten Free, Wheat Belly and here I sit down 6 lbs in over a year!!!! My will power STILL sucks, I STILL eat crap when I know it is only going to make me feel like crap and the only thing I am doing different is I am actually working out a couple of times a week which I have never been good at. So....I guess there is no "diet" that works for me. My problem isn't really food - it's willpower and ambition. If I get my butt up and I exercise in the morning before anything else, I seem to have success, if I am lazy and hit the snooze a couple times and say I will work out later...I usually don't work out or only get half the workouts in a week that I need to. I'm frustrated! Time to just eat whole foods and exercise. No sugar & processed crap. I may even give up my coffee (God I love my coffee with sugar and half and half!).

Eat foods you like but stay in calorie deficit!!!!!!!! No sugar, processed crap and giving up coffee is going down the road of 'diet' again..you only wind up miserable and giving up after a few months. And 'diet's don't work!!

Stay in calorie deficit
    log every single bite
    Try to eat healthy - this doesn't mean you have to eat leaves twigs and nuts...just be sensible
    Work out ....or don't. but stay in calorie deficit!
  • 17ChargerGirl17
    Options
    Why give up coffee!!! I drink a latte from the neighborhood coffee place every morning. I am not one that likes to eat breakfast, so my breakfast calories come from my coffee. Don't give up the things you like, this is what will make you fail.
    Count your calories and exercise. You will lose weight. There are quite a few of us on here that are living proof that you can lose weight and still eat what you like-IN MODERATION.....
    Just remember, you didn't gain weight over night so it's going to take hard work and determination to lose it the right way. Yes, some of these diets work but only short term and that is just discouraging.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    the "eat at a deficit and move a little more" diet.

Try it, it's miraculous.
  • giselahiggins
    Options
    Ok, so how many calories should one eat in order to lose weight?
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    the appropriate amount for them. there isn't one number to rule them all.
  • ihadabadidea
    ihadabadidea Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    In b4 "Should I eat my exercise calories?"

That's the point of this site: enter in your details and goals, and it calculates automatically. Basically, it works like this:

You can safely lose 1-2 lbs. per week.
    1 lb. of fat = 3,500 calories, which means eating 500-1,000 fewer calories per day than your body needs to maintain weight.
    Eating less than that can cause your body to think it's starving, which will kill your metabolism and stop weight loss. (and make you feel tired)
  • jwooley13
    jwooley13 Posts: 243
    Options
    It sounds like what's going on might not be a problem with your diet, but rather something you might be able to tease out with a therapist or even a close friend. I struggled to stick to ANYTHING for a very long time until I starting seeing someone after a death in my family. Now I aim for the caloric deficit that those above me have mentioned, and don't beat myself up too much if I have a bad day. I've got a long way to go, but I've accepted that it'll take time to get where I want to be.

You can do it, but finding out what's in your way is often the hardest part!

Best of luck :)
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options

I eat anywhere from 1600-2000 depending on the day. I run 3 days a week and lift weights 3 days a week, each for 40-60 minutes.