FitBit...anyone use it with cycling?

Options
Hi, everyone, I've been interested in getting a FItBit. My main exercise is cycling, and I ride a lot. I track my rides with the MMR app, and that works pretty well (Although battery life is an issue on longer rides). Just curious what experience cyclists might have had with a FitBit.

Replies

• ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Fitbit doesn't think I'm doing anything if I wear it while cycling. It literally thinks I'm sitting down, sedentary, and getting up to take a few steps every once in awhile.

I clip it on my shoe when cycling to get steps counted, and then override the calories with whatever my HRM says or, if I'm not wearing it, whatever Fitbit says when I input cycling as an activity. Otherwise it overestimates if it's clipped to my shoe. I just can't stand not getting any "step" credit for what can be a great workout!
  • IndyCacher
    Options
    Well....that kind of sucks!
  • csk0018
    csk0018 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I agree -- invest on something else other than a FitBit if your main exercise is cycling. I take a spin class and my FitBit doesn't log much during that hour. Have you thought about investing in a heart rate monitor with a GPS? That may be more of what would work for you. I wear my HRM during my class to track calorie burn. Not sure if you are wanting to track mileage as well.
  • fknlardarse
    fknlardarse Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I was just wondering the exact same thing so that's really helpful. Apps drain my phone. Think I will invest in a cycle computer to track my miles. Anyone recommend a good Heart rate monitor to go with it?
  • StraubreyR
    StraubreyR Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I got a wired Cateye cycle computer for $20 on amazon. Very easy to install and tracks everything but the calories burned. I use a polar F7 HRM to track calories. Very happy with both!
  • sharonrocks
    sharonrocks Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Just to clarify. I rode my bike for 18.3 miles burned 567 cal (thanks strava )
    I wore my fit bit on my ankle, it logged 7,000 steps 2.8miles (dash board Infor)
    I logged in my 18.3 miles 1.26 hrs in the journaling part, it have me 600cal

Can I count the 7,000 steps/ 2.8 miles and the 18.3mil /600cal as activities as a days work out?

Btw just got fitbit yesterday, and I am testing w/cycling:-)
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Activity trackers like Fitbit track step-based activity (like walking or running). Everything else (like biking or swimming) has to be logged either in the tracker or in MFP—never both. I find Fitbit's burns to be way more accurate than MFP's one-size-fits-all guesstimates.

MFP has a Fitbit Users group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/1307-fitbit-users
  • sharonrocks
    Options
    If 7,000 step avg 350 cal, couldn't you just sub track that from your calories from biking and call it kinda good
  • fitandfortyish
    fitandfortyish Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I cycle too, I'm use MMR. Curious as to why you don't like it??? I assume you are curious about the calorie burn accuracy?
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    If 7,000 step avg 350 cal, couldn't you just sub track that from your calories from biking and call it kinda good
    your Fitbit burn is your TDEE—way more accurate than any online calculator.

When you connect an activity tracker to your MFP account, MFP uses your tracker burn rather than your activity level to calculate your calorie goal.
  • BChanFit
    BChanFit Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit! I also recently picked up cycling. fitbit doesn't pick up the cycling really but that's what MFP is for, just log it separately. If you put the times in right it won't give you double calories back for walking and cycling so it works out just fine. I also use mapmyride app which auto syncs with MFP, works like a dream. Good luck!
  • sharonrocks
    Options
    I am trying to find away to keep the Step counts of my body moving, and calorie burn.

The Fitbit and MFP would only be accurate (like a MMR)
    If you did put in you Body Comp( which you would need to up date every time you lost about 10lbs), and your heart rate ( on a normal routine, as you get fitter your body needs to work harder) ,along with the other information.

If I wanted to keep the steps (cause let's face it, I always wanted to know About how many rotations my legs moved, with out to much math) and also try to keep the calorie count some what in the accurate count.

If your not in to the pin point count, is it fare to say that 1mile= 2,000 steps and 1 mile burns 100 calories ( depends on the length of your stride )
    7,000 = 350
    18.3 mile in 1.26hr = 618
    To keep the calories from steps, only make the log in calories 268 when the ride is add. So your not doubling up on calories, you get to keep the step count .

It would not be prefect because there no full body weight stepping on a bike, and there easy cursing, flats and hills.
    But the steps didn't know my heart rate, pace speed or if I was carrying weight like a pack, or the down, flat and hills of a walk.