Maintenance Approach: Oversimplified or brilliant?

Options
In light of some recent posts about maintenance obsession and continued tracking and weigh-ins and whatnot, I keep thinking about a notion that has stuck with me after reading it several months ago in a similar thread, but I haven't had the guts to put it into practice. I'd love to hear opinions from fellow maintainers. Here's the basic idea:

When in maintenance, weigh yourself each morning. If your weight is below your goal, eat what you want that day. If your weight is above your goal, restrict your intake that day. Repeat daily.

Literally taking it day by day. Too easy? Recipe for disaster? Perhaps slightly genius? Would it be successful? Has anyone tried a similar approach? I welcome your thoughts.

Replies

• nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    The # on the scale can vary for so many reasons so I wouldn't trust that thought.

I can over eat and not see a gain for a few days so then I'd be over eating a few days and may see a bigger gain?

Maybe go by how your clothes feel?
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I'd say recipe for mental disaster. You don't know if your weight is up on any particular day because of water weight fluctuations, because you need to poop, or if you really put on fat (or muscle, for that matter). As such, I can see you (not necessarily you, but someone trying this) getting frazzled every time you're over what you want to weigh.

Maintain at a range of some chosen number of pounds - say +/- 5 lbs. Weigh yourself once a week. If you're the nominal weight, but less than your allowed (range) weight - maybe be a little more mindful next week, but don't stress over it. If you see a trend of weight gain (probably no more than a lb of real weight per week, so you have a month or so to see), then you know you need to be careful. If you see a trend of weight loss, then eat a little more.

Don't overcomplicate it.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Sounds silly to me I'm afraid - you will be constantly reacting to minute changes in weight that are rarely anything to do with fat gain.

You will never have peace of mind until you accept that your body weight fluctuates from day to day.

I weigh every day so that I can see trends developing but as long as I'm in my acceptable range then there's absolutely no need to take action. I've had a weekend where I gained 8lbs - pure temporary bloat and didn't have to do anything to lose it again.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I think day-by-day would be the wrong approach, but I could see it working on a week-by-week or month-by-month approach.
  • RobsGirl_lds
    Options
    If you want to weigh daily I would suggest a weight range of 5-10 lbs to account for normal fluctuations. If you are under that range eat more if you are over eat less.

I don't understand how this saves you from cal counting though. How will you guadge more or less with out counting, unless you ate the same things every day and just ate more or less quantity. But if you are going to do that why not just eat the amount to maintain every day?
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    It's too hard for me. My weight goes up and down a pound or two every day. I don't want to adjust. Often the days I'm a little heavy I'm also a little hungry.
  • Lonestar5775
    Lonestar5775 Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I think it's unique in theory but from a practical standpoint too reactionary. I've maintained for 10 months now just logging calories and exercise in MFP. To me this is easily sustained and I enjoy the social aspect of my MFP friends. I do know someone who logs M-F and then skips logging on the weekends. She says it helps her relax on the weekend and not logging those two days has not hurt her maintaining her weight. There's lots of variations out there and I'm sure some work for some folks. Thanks for posting,
  • dont_tap_my_aces
    dont_tap_my_aces Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    When in maintenance, weigh yourself each morning. If your weight is below your goal, eat what you want that day. If your weight is above your goal, restrict your intake that day. Repeat daily.

if you want to weigh yourself daily, its a better idea to take your average of 7 days and compare to last weeks. The daily fluctuations due to hydration can really mess you up.

for instance... ever weigh yourself when you are hung over from a ton of drinking?
  • FitFunLosAngeles
    FitFunLosAngeles Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    One suggestion to "fine-tuning" this would be to change the "rule" to:
    "If the scale is above my predetermined maximum of my weight range for three days in a row, THEN I go back to tracking / calorie counting until I reach the minimum of my weight range."
    That way you would eliminate any little spikes or bloating issues.
    e.g., let's say the maintenance weight range you have set for yourself is 151-155. Let's say you have a day or two here and there weighing-in at 155.1 and 155.3 but then you drop back down again the following day below 155.0. So you don't do anything. But then you have three days in a row in which you weigh-in at 155.3, 155.5, and then the third day 155.1.
    So the idea would be that on the third day, when you weighed-in at 155.1, that would "trigger" calorie-counting and tracking until you reach 151 pounds again.
  • lillilanda
    lillilanda Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I followed basically this exact plan for nearly five years, and kept my weight between 115 and 120. My AM weights generally have almost no variations, half pound at the MOST so I am sure that any weight gain is fat. On that plan I tracked food on average half to to thirds of days - I'd often track and keep a small deficit during the week, then have free weekends. Of course then I stopped and the weight drifted up-up-up.
    Daily weighing is different for everyone. For me, the AM weigh in has many functions - it's an encouraging reminder of how far I've come and it sets the "streak" for the day by reminding me that I DO need to be careful, every day. Small weight gains are not discouraging to me personally, so if I weigh often, I never see a big depressing gain. Other people respond to the scale differently. You just have to try different strategies and see what motivates you.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I maintained for about 6 months before resuming with weight loss. I did something kind of similar but a bit different. I downloaded the spredsheet from here: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator-calibration/

I logged my weight daily, if at the end of the month the line looked straight, it means I was successful. If it was skewed upwards, I just took a note how much the end of the line was different from the starting point and fixed that by counting again for a little while. Repeat.
  • RUNNING_AMOK_1958
    RUNNING_AMOK_1958 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    The best maintenance advice I got was from a personal trainer. Weigh yourself Monday and see where you are after the weekend. If things need adjusting, start adjusting them. Wednesday weigh yourself and see how you're doing. On Friday weigh yourself to see how you did for the week. Do you need to cut back through the weekend, or are can you splurge a little?

I personally need to keep tabs on my weight so it doesn't get out of control. I weigh myself daily, but understand why my weight goes up and down. If you can handle the minor fluctuations without freaking out, I think it's okay. I wouldn't use only the scale to determine what I eat daily. For instance, if my weight has gone up and overindulgence isn't the cause, I would not eat less that day.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh daily now why would I start at goal.

I am allowing for a 5-10lb flucuation...I wont go higher than 158 and no lower than 148 in any given week.

Weight fluctuates for too many reasons and daily weigh in's is imho what stats the obsession...causes mood shifts etc.

I watch friends/family do this to themselves irl so I refuse to do it to myself.

I will continue to track my food here as that is the only way to know for sure that I am staying in maitenance...that's not obsessive...otherwise tracking to lose would be as well.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I think that could be tough, psychologically. It makes you very dependent on the scale, and would force you to function in a very "day by day" way, which could be challenging.

I've been in maintenance for about 12 years, give or take.

I weigh. Often. Sometimes daily.
    I eat what I ate while losing. I aim to eat roughly as much as I ate while losing. I exercise as much or more than I did while losing. I just know that because I'm in maintenance,I'm more relaxed, a little less vigilant, and therefore probably eating a bit more than I was. Because I'm eating the WAY I was eating to lose, I find that I don't go too far astray. But yes, when I weigh, if the scale goes up, say, 5LBS, then I do a few days of more vigilant eating until things are back to normal for me. It works for me. I didn't log and weigh food while losing, and I'm not really doing it now. But, if I go to a brand new restaurant, or add in very new or different foods (for me), then I'll use the database to help me make smart decisions.
    Good luck! Finding what works for YOU is the key. It's great that you're thinking about it now.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    There's only one way to know really. Give it a go and see how you get on.

Sounds like a PITA to me.

Personally I go by the fit of my clothes. If they start feeling a little tight I make more mindful choices, reconsider portion sizes and do a bit more sexercise. The rest of the time I do as I please. Apart from a period of a few years in my mid 30s where things went pear shaped (actually something went literally pear shaped - me) this is the method (or a variation on the theme) I used for most of my adult life to stay reasonably in shape.
  • Nedra19455
    Nedra19455 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I have an app on my phone called "Weight Trend." I enter my weight each day at the same time and it calculates a "moving average" of the last 7 days. This might help you balance out those fluctuations. so If you ever enter a weight and it says that you've had an overall gain for the last 7 days, then you'd want to restrict your caloric intake for the next week, let's say.

I don't know -- I'm not trying to maintain weight, I'm trying to lose. But it seems like this app would help with the daily fluctuations problem.
  • w2bab
    w2bab Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    It works for us. My husband has been maintaining since June, and I have been maintaining since September.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I maintained for about 6 months before resuming with weight loss. I did something kind of similar but a bit different. I downloaded the spredsheet from here: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator-calibration/

I logged my weight daily, if at the end of the month the line looked straight, it means I was successful. If it was skewed upwards, I just took a note how much the end of the line was different from the starting point and fixed that by counting again for a little while. Repeat.

That's the spreadsheet I use, too. It's perfect for knowing your true TDDE. :)
  • Beckilovespizza
    Beckilovespizza Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    U know what, this seems a bit genius to me!! Love it and might give it a bash myself :) am a bit on the nervous side about my numbers going in the red but for a trial why the heck not?!
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I think day-by-day would be the wrong approach, but I could see it working on a week-by-week or month-by-month approach.

YES< yes, yes, ^^this^^ week by week - too much can happen in a month or 'off-track eating.' In maintenance without difficulty for a couple months now and I'm sure, continuing in that vein.