does anyone know about thyroid conditions?

Options
Does anyone else have trouble with theirs? I have been told that because of my thyroid it's harder for me to lose weight. Is there anything I can do to speed it up? Or speed up metabolism? I have a slow one as well.

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else have trouble with theirs? I have been told that because of my thyroid it's harder for me to lose weight. Is there anything I can do to speed it up? Or speed up metabolism? I have a slow one as well.

You have hypothyroidism? If you've been diagnosed, you should be on medication to regulate the hormones.

I don't have issues, but I know many people who do who have followed Weight Watchers and lost weight fine. It sometimes takes a little longer, but it happens.
  • ajreinecke
    Options
    If you have hypothyroidism your doctor should have you on medication. I am on the generic brand of Synthroid. They test my levels every 3-6 months and make sure it's in the "normal" range, if it's not then they adjust the dose. You should not leave it untreated if it doesn't fall in the normal range.
  • DancingDreamer
    Options
    the problem with hypothyroidism is that its super hard to prove without a doubt that you have it because they only way you can is with a blood test...and if your blood decides to be at normal levels because....well maybe you ate a tiny bite of something just a LITTLE too late when they told you not to before the blood work...."nope! you dont have it!" when you display every other symptom (i'm saying this from experience) and when you take thyroid medicine that isnt prescription, but a supplement from a nutritionist and it works....like it would for someone with hypothyroidism.

but if you have been diagnosed then see a doctor about it.
  • jalovec
    jalovec Posts: 62
    Options
    I take thyroid meds, and have found that I need to exercise more than my friends to keep my metabolism up. You may lose weight a bit more slowly, but can still lose a lot over time. If you build up your muscles with some weight training, it'll increase your metabolism a little, as the extra muscle burns extra calories. Good luck :)
  • olalee
    olalee Posts: 3
    Options
    I am on Levothyroxine for a thyroid condition. I was tested and put on a small dosage and gained eleven pounds in two
    months. Rechecked and the dosage was upped and I am having a difficult time losing the weighr. I think my metabolism
    is dead and now the thyroid problem. I am determined to get the extra weight off, so I keep at it. Work out, portion control
    and write every morsel down.