What is "the thing about" you?

Options
_lyndseybrooke_
_lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
Last weekend, my husband and I were at my parents' house sitting around talking with my mom and sister. My mom is a very fragile person, and she made the comment that I can "cut her heart with a knife" just with the things I say to her. Now, you'd have to understand the "off" relationship I have with my mother, but I don't walk on eggshells around her and her feelings are hurt very easily. That comment by her spurred this conversation...

Sister: That's just how Lyndsey is. She's going to be honest and tell you like it is.
Me: I just look at things from a logical perspective, not an emotional perspective.
Mom: Well maybe you should look at it from my perspective.
Me: I'm pretty sure I don't know how to do that.
Sister: No, but that's one of the things I love about her. If I want to know the truth, she's the person I go to. It makes her who she is.
Mom: Okay, but it comes off as mean and uncaring.
Husband: The way I see it is...if you have a question and there's a possible answer that you don't want to hear, don't ask Lyndsey the question.
Me: I tells it like it is. Sorry, but not sorry.

Apparently, the "thing about me" is that I'm going to be brutally honest with you whether you like what I'm saying or not. And also, I'm not an emotional person, so I'm not going to tip-toe around your feelings. If that makes me a b!tch, so be it, but I don't say things to purposefully hurt people, so it's not my fault that you're hurt by the truth.

So, what's "the thing about" you?

And refrain from saying generic things that apply to everyone - "the thing about me is, you don't talk *kitten* about my momma." Really? Because I love when people do that. *eye roll*

Replies

• kayla_who
    kayla_who Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I'm with you on the brutal honesty. Also I don't like to talk a lot and I've been told I have a "zone-out" face when people keep talking and I'm done listening.
  • Kitship
    Kitship Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty much the opposite. I cater to everyone else. It kinda sucks, but that's just who I am. I put everyone else before myself.
  • superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    The thing about me is I can not stand people who are not honest with themselves and others. If you are a bullsh**ter I will cut you off like the Cancer that you are.
  • finallylean
    finallylean Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Don't deal with negative energy well, am very upbeat, can't deal with death or sadness because I'm too busy being in a good mood. Can't stand it when people say in their whiny voice "i'm sick" or "my back hurts". uggghhh
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    I tend to see the negetive in stuff.
    It actually is quite helpful.
    When writing a program or doing design work, I am the guy who looks at it and thinks:
    "How can this fail?"
    When I am rebuilding a car, the same thoght happens "What can go wrong?"
    People think I am negetive but in reality, I am just ultra careful.
  • BiggMikeSurf
    BiggMikeSurf Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Last weekend, my husband and I were at my parents' house sitting around talking with my mom and sister. My mom is a very fragile person, and she made the comment that I can "cut her heart with a knife" just with the things I say to her. Now, you'd have to understand the "off" relationship I have with my mother, but I don't walk on eggshells around her and her feelings are hurt very easily. That comment by her spurred this conversation...

Sister: That's just how Lyndsey is. She's going to be honest and tell you like it is.
    Me: I just look at things from a logical perspective, not an emotional perspective.
    Mom: Well maybe you should look at it from my perspective.
    Me: I'm pretty sure I don't know how to do that.
    Sister: No, but that's one of the things I love about her. If I want to know the truth, she's the person I go to. It makes her who she is.
    Mom: Okay, but it comes off as mean and uncaring.
    Husband: The way I see it is...if you have a question and there's a possible answer that you don't want to hear, don't ask Lyndsey the question.
    Me: I tells it like it is. Sorry, but not sorry.

Apparently, the "thing about me" is that I'm going to be brutally honest with you whether you like what I'm saying or not. And also, I'm not an emotional person, so I'm not going to tip-toe around your feelings. If that makes me a b!tch, so be it, but I don't say things to purposefully hurt people, so it's not my fault that you're hurt by the truth.

So, what's "the thing about" you?

And refrain from saying generic things that apply to everyone - "the thing about me is, you don't talk *kitten* about my momma." Really? Because I love when people do that. *eye roll*

I've known many people who say the same thing. "I'm just brutally honest," but I think you can be honest, and still have tact. You don't have to hurt the person to get your point across. With that being said, yes there are those that really need a good kick in the *kitten* sometimes. lol..

The thing about me, is I lack confidence in myself, but always more than willing to cheer and encourage others. But that's why I'm on MFP to get my confidence back.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    The thing about me is I hate when people say hurtful things because apparently they're just being honest.
  • BiggMikeSurf
    BiggMikeSurf Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    The thing about me is I hate when people say hurtful things because apparently they're just being honest.

WORD!
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    Apparently I am just too negative and bring others down.

Also, I comment on how some children behave in public and since I don't have children I know nothing and therefore should keep my mouth shut.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    The thing about me is I don't stand for manipulative, bullying, abusive behavior. I see lots of people stuck dealing with nightmare relatives, putting up with terrible crap because "it's family!" I don't care if you're "family" or not - I won't be around it. I will cut you off if you're a harmful presence in my life. No hard feelings, I just don't need the negativity. :drinker:
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I will use a filter so as to not hurt someones feelings and if that does not work I'm straight to the bottom line.

The "thing about me" is that people still like you when you do it that way.

I dont like bull**** and I dont like hurting other people either. Balance.....
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way...

I don't like to sit there and try to sugarcoat stuff to not hurt people's feelings.. They either want to know, or they don't.
    And if I know it's something that they probably won't want to hear, I warn them a few times before I even let it out..

I do try not say it, but it comes out as hurtful.. Hey, they wanted to know. Don't want to know, don't ask.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

WORD!

Bingo. I truly hate all the ecards that circulate on facebook and pinterest that celebrate being b!tchy and "honest." Honestly, being cordial and sensitive is what makes me an adult, not a 6-year-old with no filter.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    The thing about me is that it is part of my job to share information with people that they may not want to hear. It is my job to share my thoughts even though they may be painful to hear.

If my mantra was to walk around saying "I don't sugar coat things" or "I say it how it is" without regards to feelings, then I'd be pretty bad at my job. It would be a pretty lazy way to do things as well.
  • greentart
    greentart Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I don't really think that you have to sugarcoat something to say something tactfully. Being blunt is always the easiest, but if you care about someone, you're not going to just blurt whatever comes first in your head.

"Honey, do these jeans make me look fat?"
    "Yes, like a F8cking blimp, babe."
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    The thing about me is that I'm kind of annoying.
  • FoxBean
    FoxBean Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I don't really think that you have to sugarcoat something to say something tactfully. Being blunt is always the easiest, but if you care about someone, you're not going to just blurt whatever comes first in your head.

THIS - and haha blimp...
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options

That would be exaggerating unless she really did look like a blimp.
  • FoxBean
    FoxBean Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    The thing about me is...most of the time people do not know if I am being sarcastic or not. Oh and mistaking my sensitivity for weakness, I'm more sensitive to others feelings than my own.