Has eating soups daily/regularly helped in your weight loss?

Options
NewLIFEstyle4ME
NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
I haven't been feeling 100% for the past couple of days and have been making soup for one of my major meals and WOW...talk about FILLING--my goodness, eating soup is really hearty & really satisfying and makes me feel super FULL too. It's pretty low cal and loaded lots with good things. I usually don't make soups unless there's sickness around the house...but I think I'm going to start incorporating more soups into my daily eating routine and that inspired me to start this thread.

Now I'm NOT talking about using soups as some kind of gimmick/diet or in an unhealthy way, at all--just if adding soup has made a significant difference in your battle of the bulge.

Have you loss weight by incorporating soups into your daily/regular eating routine?

If so, how much weight did you lose and when did you start noticing a difference in your body?

Replies

• kblount10
    kblount10 Posts: 32
    Options
    I have a friend that when she loses weight; that is how she does it. She replaces her lunch with soup (though hers comes from a can). I would think that if you could make your own and control what goes in it; that would be the way to go!
  • fauxpunker
    fauxpunker Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I would think that the biggest thing to watch out for would be sodium content. Soups can run majorly high, especially if they're pre-prepared.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    I have a friend that when she loses weight; that is how she does it. She replaces her lunch with soup (though hers comes from a can). I would think that if you could make your own and control what goes in it; that would be the way to go!

Yes, homemade is the best and it's not as complicated nor time consuming as the stews I make from time to time either. I'm going to have some more today!
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I hate soup. :sick:
  • SuperSammi22
    SuperSammi22 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I am a big soup maker. I dont really think I can speak from experience yet, but I have soup a few times a week and have lost 6 lbs so far. Lentil and Split Pea Soup are extremely filling and good for you if you make it home made. When I make these, I usually incorporate carrots, celery, onion and tomato into them and use low sodium or home made chicken broth when its called for. I just tried home made tomato soup and its also fantastic. The recipe I got it from was Rachael Rays Quick Creamy Tomato Soup. I altered the recipe a bit for mine: I use low sodium or home made broth, replaced the heavy cream with Silk Original Soymilk and replaced the can tomatoes with about 3 cups of real tomato blended.
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    Don't have the stats but a super quick yummy soup can be had by taking campbell's tomato soup and mixing it with a can of 365 tomatoes. it is yummy and good.
  • vastiris
    vastiris Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Soup is my ultimate comfort food. I was a Campbell's kid from an early age. Now, I do make my own, and what's great is that the recipes can be tinkered with a lot to make them lower cal, and they're very forgiving. I don't know if I can say it has helped with my weight loss per se', but it's awfully nice if your 'comfort food' (to me, my mom's chicken soup recipe) can be a healthy one.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    I hate soup. :sick:

:laugh: I "thought" I did too. One of the reasons I shied away from soup is because growing up, in hard times, we ate soups ALL the time! We either ate lots of soups or beans and rice and rice and beans. To this day it's rare that I eat beans, because we used to eat so many different kinds of beans, that I "hate" them now. But ya know what? Reading your comment makes me remember how creative my mother was in making all kinds of soups and bean dishes and I'm going to humble myself and start eating more beans now too :noway: :grumble: ...because I remember how FULL I'm feeling eating soup for the past couple of days (I'm not feeling 100% and usually only eat soup when I'm feeling sickly--and how much better I feel. Eating soups these days reminds me of poverty times and yet HEALTHY times at the same time! Plus...eating soups and bean dishes will also help on my grocery budget too...which can be astronomical too!

I'm going to try to incorporate a soup and/or a soup and salad into one of my major meals for the next few weeks and see how it effects/affects my weight loss--bean dishes too...yikes:smooched:
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Soup will help yes but that is because most are low calorie. It's that simple...

Now if you are eating a thick seafood bisque made with lots of heavy cream and butter...then no it wont help.

I eat soup usually once a week...maybe.

I eat it on a cold chilly day but usually add crackers, cheese, avocado and crab meat mixed with mayo...
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    I eat soup at work a lot. It's a great way to control portions, it's easy to store in a drawer, and it's usually low-cal. I'm not particularly concerned about sodium intake. The latest studies confirm that healthy sodium intake is actually about twice as high as the current guidelines.

I just have to avoid putting crackers in my soup.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of soups, stews, and chili during the winter. I'm actually eating this this week:

http://ourlifeinfood.com/2011/10/24/mushroom-sweet-potato-and-smoked-gouda-chowder/

I reduce the amount of bacon and use plain greek yogurt instead of the heavy cream to ease up a little on the calories and add chicken thighs to add protein. A batch gets split into 5 servings and you can check my diary out for calorie breakdown.

I also make a chicken and veg soup, mexican style beef stew, and sweet potato chili that I really like.

As long as I make them I can control the macros and sodium so I know they work within my goals. I fit them into my calories like anything else. I wouldn't say it has helped my weight loss outside of the fact that I enjoy soup and I don't feel like I'm suffering by eating them.
  • Cby60
    Cby60 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    About a month ago I noticed my male cousin was a lot thinner. I mentioned it to his wife and she said he started making and eating soup all the time for lunches and even in the evening when he wanted a snack. It's homemade soup. I'm sure it could work as long as you ate careful what kind of soup.
  • mwkimmel
    mwkimmel Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Since I cannot make my own soup, I have to buy either in the can or some other pre-made soup. But because of my hypertension, I must avoid these soups due to their high sodium content.

If I had the time and inclination, I'd eat more soup.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of soups, stews, and chili during the winter. I'm actually eating this this week:

http://ourlifeinfood.com/2011/10/24/mushroom-sweet-potato-and-smoked-gouda-chowder/

I reduce the amount of bacon and use plain greek yogurt instead of the heavy cream to ease up a little on the calories and add chicken thighs to add protein. A batch gets split into 5 servings and you can check my diary out for calorie breakdown.

HOLD THE PHONE.

I am currently in possession of some smoked gouda, and I am totes making that soup!

Alright, now back to your regularly scheduled programming. :smile:
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    About a month ago I noticed my male cousin was a lot thinner. I mentioned it to his wife and she said he started making and eating soup all the time for lunches and even in the evening when he wanted a snack. It's homemade soup. I'm sure it could work as long as you ate careful what kind of soup.

I'm feeling about 80% better now--but I'm still making soups daily, because I'm really loving it. I wish I'd make this discover in the fall and winter though--don't know about how good soups are in the summer--unless I start making those cold soups!
  • pocho269
    pocho269 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I eat soup everyday! at least 1 cup- lower sodium- less than 480 mg per serving. I eat a lot of Progresso heart healthy/ Campbell's home-style- heart healthy and Chunky's heart healthy line. All the chicken noodles are my favorite. I add low sodium canned green beans (rinsed) for extra filling. I also eat with 5 Dr. Kracker's asiago crisps- in fact, just got done with this meal- 190 calories total= satisfied. :)
  • softncudly
    softncudly Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Yes. I often do soup and salad for dinner. (Homemade or I sometimes buy simple truth organic soups..)
  • shannonalgren1
    shannonalgren1 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    so true about the sodium even in the reduced sodium soups
  • shannonalgren1
    shannonalgren1 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I make a lot of cabbage soup and change it up each time
  • ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I've been making what I call "garbage soup" which has been a big pot of chicken and veggies. It's low cal and packed with goodies so it helps me feel full and satisfied while staying within my calorie limit. I use boneless skinless chicken breasts, chicken stock, parsnips, carrots, onion, celery, spinach, rainbow chard, kale, chili powder, ginger, soy sauce, salt, and pepper. Easy, fast, and delicious!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!